Profile for Gill H. > Reviews

Content by Gill H.

Gill H. (Somewhere urban near Heathrow)

Tarrago Unisex-Adult High Tech Nano Protector Shoe Treatments & Polishes Transparent 250.00 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 27 Feb. 2012
This suede protector spray arrived even before the estimated delivery date, so the service couldn't be faulted! It's a really effective product and easy to use, definitely worth the money (and the smell!) to protect expensive suede boots.

In a Strange Room
In a Strange Room
by Damon Galgut

3.0 out of 5 stars A curiously unengaging read - but interesting, 11 July 2011
This review is from: In a Strange Room (Hardcover)
I'd not heard of this book or its author (so did not know it had been shortlisted for the Booker Prize), and wanted no preconceptions before I read it, so left the dust jacket with the person from whom I borrowed it. I also refrained from looking it up on Amazon until I'd finished it. I found it quite a strange story: the way it was laid out; the Spartan style; the absence of any speech marks; the disconnected & alienated atmosphere; and the way the narrator kept swapping back & forth between talking in the first & third person, as if he wanted to distance even himself from the story. I never got to know, or felt engaged with, any of the characters or with the story and had no real empathy with them, particularly Reiner in the first section. At the end, I still felt like an observer not a participant. An oddly unemotional tale, but at no point did I feel tempted to give up and I still found it very interesting, and, I have to admit, it has left quite an impression. There was definitely something about it that wormed its way in. I found the third story the most accessible. It wasn't just words on a page; Damon's relationship and devotion to his sick friend was convincing in a way his relationship with Reiner in part one was not and there was real feeling there. Despite not actively liking the book, I appreciate how well written it is. I am not knowledgeable about South African literature, but I very much enjoyed JM Coetzee's `Disgrace', also Andre Brink's `A Dry White Season'.

Skechers Women's Tone-ups Candy Bar Mule
Skechers Women's Tone-ups Candy Bar Mule

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but..., 20 Mar. 2011
These are beautiful (I can rarely resist sequins) and very comfortable underfoot. My feet were well supported in them and they feel lovely and "springy" to walk in - and on. However... I found my silver pair rubbed so badly on the inside left of my instep when I wore them on holiday six months ago (the time of writing being March 2011) that I still have the scars on my feet. This was a real surprise and disappointment to me since under the sequined top, the fabric is very soft and even a bit padded. I think I'll still - very carefully - give them another go this summer though in case it was "just" a severe case of breaking in.

Dry Kids (B-Sides 1997-2005)
Dry Kids (B-Sides 1997-2005)

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential both for Embrace fans and those new to the band, 4 April 2006
Those short-sighted enough to claim Embrace only do ballads or anthems should listen to this CD. The unpalatable truth for those prejudiced, misguided moaners is simple - Embrace produce great tunes and this collection is immense. Anyone still on the (frankly now rather tedious) "Danny can't sing" bandwagon should also be silenced after a listen to this, because he can, and what's more, very well. His range is greater and encapsulates more truth, character and feeling in it than he's often given credit for (just watch him testing the rest of the band on "Come back to What You Know" on the hair-raisingly brilliant, live Glorious Day DVD) and his vocal versatility is evident on Dry Kids, easily managing the wide variety of styles, from emotional ballads to which his sensitive, sometimes fragile voice gives an almost uncomfortable emotional intensity to heavier, more rocky productions and re-mixes.
Each of the well-chosen tracks has their attractions (far too many to go into detail here), but some personal favourites include:
Madelaine: Danny's finest hour lyrically, this could also be the best song Embrace have ever produced. The melody is sweeping and tension-filled; it's doom-laden, drenched in tragedy, with Danny sounding like a man suffering emotional meltdown. His vocals are fragile, he doesn't know what to do with himself ("I need to break out of my skin") and if you're not moved to tears by the intensity of "I would change everything just to sing to you while you're alone" then you have no soul, it's as simple as that, it truly is.
Flaming Red Hair: What a follow-on to Madelaine. Awesome, blinding, heavy, funky, rocky and completely unlike anything else Embrace have done, this track simply has to be heard to be believed - absolutely incredible. If you're wearing socks while listening to this one, prepare for them to be knocked off.
How Come: From the Jo Whiley Live Lounge on Radio 1. What a revelation, just listen to it. It's yet another fine example of how courageous Embrace are. At very short notice (a few days, I understand), they came up with this highly innovative version of the Eminem/D12 track when the song they'd originally chosen had been done already. It went down a storm and it's easy to hear why.
Butter wouldn't melt: Absolutely gorgeous, soaring vocal, another beautiful tune.
Free Ride: Just Danny's fabulous voice and Mickey Dale's wonderful piano.
Feels Like Glue: Lovely opening guitars, opens out into an immense, eight and a half minute epic.
I've been running: Simple, but beautiful ballad, Danny's voice is on top form, the impressive instrumentation swirls around, building into another top track.
Milk & Honey: Simply a great tune, one of the best on the album, mellow and uplifting, full of hope and longing for a better future, very strong vocals.
Waterfall: Absolutely fabulous tune, strong, flowing vocal, great guitars.
There's plenty more that could be said, so if you haven't already got this CD, what on earth are you waiting for? Delay no longer, go and buy it and discover your own favourites. Listen to it while reading the superb lyrics and the excellent sleeve notes and join the faithful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2014 11:13 AM BST