Profile for Odelay In Space > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Room
The Room

5.0 out of 5 stars Seductive and gorgeous night music, 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Room (Audio CD)
An excellent set of songs lifted from moody depths by turbo-charged vocals and icy synths. It has a modern sheen but inherits the emotional swoop of the best 80's and 90's r'n'b.

Tomorrow's Harvest [VINYL]
Tomorrow's Harvest [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Half-Pleasant Visions, 10 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Tomorrow's Harvest [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Mysterious and beautiful as ever. The low-end on many of the tracks is surprisingly deep; I was a bit taken aback at how immersive the bass sounds on 'Cold Earth' through my Sennheiser headphones.

Tomorrow's Harvest is like a culmination of all the sounds they've created under the Boards of Canada alias. 'Nothing Is Real' is reminiscent of their debut, Music Has The Right To Children; a gorgeously wistful surge of synth and bird cries. The overall mood and atmosphere is composed of a strangely comforting mixture of unease and familiarity; like Geogaddi but with more clarity in the production. The guitars in 'New Seeds' chug and grind; the bucolic instruments from Campfire Headphase choked in soot.

The final track 'Semena Mertvykh' is like the Angelo Badalamenti score from Twin Peaks, particularly the scenes wherein someone invariably winds up dead. Dark visions then, but it also sounds like a 'to be continued...'

Who knows what happens next?

You & Me
You & Me

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Don't worry about me, I got no more baggage, threw all my old things away', 12 Jun. 2012
This review is from: You & Me (Audio CD)
I love that feeling you get when music slowly unveils its charms and wins you over completely. This happened to me with The Walkmen and their album 'You & I'. The lead singer's passionate delivery and soaring voice is utterly convincing and the lyrics are punchy and concrete, abstract and literary. 'In the New Year' is a contender for my all-time favourite song, it's festive thrum and belting refrain makes my heart feel like it's leaping from its cavity, and 'I Lost You' is so direct in its searing emotion that it transcends sentimentality and becomes something genuinely moving. The instrumentation is considered and brass flourishes occasionally leap through the beautiful malaise. Such a memorable and gorgeous set of songs that I'm certain I will keep returning to throughout the coming years.

R.I.P.
R.I.P.
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars "For me it's the rhythm of life; your heartbeat is in 4/4. Techno and house, these are the things that keep me in equilibrium.'', 2 May 2012
This review is from: R.I.P. (Audio CD)
Actress's latest opus is loaded with sonic trickery, understated emotion and unusual song-compositions. Here's just a few descriptions of the album's sound based on a couple of listens, and I'll probably flesh out this review on repeat listens. I highly recommend you listen too, as this is a fantastic and forward-thinking record.

'Uriel's Black Harp' has plucked strings play out beneath an insistent insect chirp and an ominous machine-groan. On repeat listens I thought I noticed a classical instrumental seep into the track near the end. 'Marble Plexus' has a 4/4 thud but there's also a skewed and weirdly alien sounding synth-melody that sounds a bit off like you're hearing it through a worm-hole. Slightly muted sleigh-bell percussion veers in towards the latter half of the song and the submerged harmonies become more grand-sounding and hymn-like.

'Shadow From Tartarus' surges along via its own bass-weight and is one of the most dubby, and indeed clubby, tracks here. 'Caves Of Paradise' is another dance-floor ready number, but once again there's an introverted majesty to its looping melody that befits listening through headphones and closing your eyes. 'IWAAD' is a beautifully pastoral and elegant piece of music. I was initially a bit shocked at how resolutely emotive it sounded in comparison to anything from his previous album 'Splazsh', and this album hits me way deeper than anything Actress has done before.

Pretty Ugly
Pretty Ugly

4.0 out of 5 stars Rugged beats, slow-jams & synths, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Pretty Ugly (Audio CD)
This is the smoothest-sounding album that DVA's label Hyperdub have on its roster. There's a group of vocalists scattered across the twelve tracks but the mood is consistently soulful and at odds with itself. The instrumentals stagger about queasily, reminding me of the production on Kode9 & the Spaceape's 'Black Sun'.

Honestly this is the type of album I expected Joker to have released instead of his surprisingly lukewarm debut 'The Vision'. If you enjoyed listening to DVA's Rinse FM radio show then I'm sure you'll love this.

Visions
Visions

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Post-Internet' Cheerleader, 12 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Visions (Audio CD)
Hooky as hell sums up Grimes 4AD debut neatly. You'll be humming along to a vocal melody one moment before it disintegrates into synthetic vapour, transforming abruptly into something just as ear-wormingly infectious. 'Be A Body' initially seemed the standout, with a weightless nursery-rhyme refrain segueing into a crudely drawn electro beat that rides a brilliantly low-ended tribal choir sound that instantly reminded me of the song 'That Mystic' from Night Slugs affiliate Kingdom.

The more I listened, the more each song on the album made sense and opened it's rich delights. 'Eight' romps along on a squelchy robotic voice that grooves via its own malfunctioning rhythm. The most accomplished (but not necessarily the best, though it is fantastic) song is surely 'Skin', gliding on the most palatable vocals you'll find on the album (Grimes voice is twisted and high-pitched quite often, and I assume will be a Marmite ingredient for some), and also has the most obviously love-lorn lyrics and approachable song-structure. Other obvious highlights include bouncy electro tracks 'Genesis' and 'Oblivion'.

I've read criticism concerning Grimes unusual song-titles but I actually think they have a charming quality that fits into the overall aesthetic, for example the first song has a title not unlike something a teenager would hurriedly scratch into a scrapbook, and 'Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U)' seems like its riffing on the obscure names given to Japanese role-playing games, or indeed the song that would soundtrack said game. I absolutely adore this album and it feels like something that will only grow on me over time.

Mulholland Drive [DVD]
Mulholland Drive [DVD]
Dvd ~ Justin Theroux

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreams & Nightmares, 3 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Mulholland Drive [DVD] (DVD)
I believe that there is a Möbius strip effect on the narrative of this film but I won't reveal any spoilers. The acting is exemplary, with one of the finest love-making scenes in cinema that won't make you cringe. The first time I saw this film I was immersed and bewildered, and on subsequent viewings I have refined my own interpretation of what I think it all means.

As you've guessed, this is a challenging film in the sense that it makes you think about what's happening on the screen, and why. Doing so can seem futile, because there is an apparent dream-logic to the story that prevents any certainty from being attained. There are some particularly outstanding moments where Angelo Badalamenti's orchestral/synth score combines with the visuals on-screen to provide an emotional and memorable experience.

Even if you don't understand what's going on, it should at least make you feel something. Similar to Lynch's other films and TV series 'Twin Peaks', this effortlessly slips in-and-out of genres ranging from mystery thriller, horror, comedy, noir, erotica, serious drama and surrealism. This is my favourite David Lynch film.

Reign Of Terror
Reign Of Terror
Offered by Door2DoorEnt

4.0 out of 5 stars More accomplished than their debut, 21 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Reign Of Terror (Audio CD)
You don't listen to Sleigh Bells for substance. You listen to them because they make fist-pumping music that lodges itself into your brain like any other half-decent pop song. Alexis Krauss is her own deadly one-woman girl-group in 'Demons', her pummeling vocals in-sync with AC-DC-ish guitar licks. 'Comeback Kid' is your own cheerleader-led pep-me-up for days you're feeling sorry for yourself.

There's a much bigger emphasis on dynamics in each song, unlike the in-the-red noisenik drama of 'Treats'. A largely seamless evolution from the first album means this deviates from their formula in a subtle fashion.

The Singles
The Singles

5.0 out of 5 stars Goldfrapp: The Brilliant Singles, 11 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Singles (Audio CD)
Goldfrapp are one of those bands that most people have heard, but this familiarity has never blossomed into a true commercial awareness. This collection of singles (and two new tracks) is a perfect introduction to their sound.

The glam-rock of T-Rex is a dominant influence that comes to mind in songs like 'Ooh La La', 'Number 1' and 'Strict Machine', except that Goldfrapp's production also incorporates a sleek disco thud and bursts of measured synth (including the euphoric crescendo in 'Number 1'). Exceptions include 'A&E', a great acoustic track that stands out with its yearning simplicity and 'Black Cherry' that bathes in classical strings, a drum-machine tick and longing vocals.

This is a fantastic showcase for the group's pop sensibilities and I heartily recommend it.

Twin Peaks: Definitive Gold Box Edition (UK Version) [DVD]
Twin Peaks: Definitive Gold Box Edition (UK Version) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kyle MacLachlan
Offered by RUGELEY GAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars Genre-spanning weirdo soap opera, 20 Nov. 2011
I'm sure you'll grow deeply attached to the people of Twin Peaks as I did. The characters are memorable, and the plot is as serious as a drama but filled with details as batty as a bizarre dream. The moments of hilarity are buoyed up by sadness and vice-versa.

Dale Cooper is a fantastically sympathetic protagonist with a unique warmth and quirk to his personality. Twin Peaks is loaded with mystery and the threat and appeal of the unseen: 'The owls are watching'.

If I have one criticism it is that too many of the mysteries are eventually revealed, and just as as David Lynch himself said concerning the main mystery of Laura Palmer's death, 'You don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs'. True words spoken.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5