Profile for S. Phillips > Reviews

Content by S. Phillips

S. Phillips (UK)

Killzone 3 - Move Compatible (PS3)
Killzone 3 - Move Compatible (PS3)
Offered by PROGAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome all-out war experience, 25 Feb. 2011
I was lucky enough to get the game a day early so I've been playing it quite a lot and I played the beta before that so I know enough to say that this is a seriously awesome FPS. I was a big MW2 fan until the hackers took hold and I gave it up, so if you're a disillusioned CoD fan, this is the game for you.

In the multiplayer, there's no wealth of weapon/perk challenges to complete a la CoD. Some might not be satisfied with not seeing 'challenge completed' on your screen every five minutes, but for me it's what makes the game unique. The focus is completely on the warfare, the teamwork and giving the player a proper space-war experience. There is also less emphasis on what badge you've got or what level you're on, again putting the focus on the warfare rather than levelling up. I have also had no problems at all (touchwood) with the servers and have not been cut off once. I never even got cut off when I was in a game in the beta. Having also given up on BFBC2 because of their awful servers, this is a breath of fresh air.

The campaign is also worth playing. People complain that KZ doesn't bring anything new, that it's more of the same and it's short, but I think that misses the point. Again, it's about having an all-out visceral war experience and this really brings it. The story is simple, but what do you expect? This isn't Uncharted. It's about massive explosions, epic settings and killing loads of Higs. And who cares if the campaign is short? Everyone who has this game is going to be putting 50+ hours into the multiplayer and that's value for money. They've noticeably improved the voice acting too so it's not as tacky as KZ2. This is definitely one of the best FPS I've played and one of the best games on the PS3.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2011 2:11 PM BST

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Just get it., 17 Nov. 2009
I won't repeat what everyone else has said about how awesome this game is - but I will say that it deserves every 5* review it gets. This game deserves to sell as much as Modern Warfare 2 and it's a damn shame that it won't. Nevertheless this is without doubt the best single player experience of this gaming generation. I even played it through twice and I NEVER play games twice.

You develop a genuinely strong bond with the characters just like in a really good film or book - so much so that I am praying for an Uncharted 3 just so I can revisit them. The number of jaw dropping moments is too many to count and often I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. There are a million other reasons why this game is so awesome but you will discover them for yourself. Buy it.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for noobs and pros alike, 17 Nov. 2009
I'm not usually one for reviewing games but I felt this one needed it considering all the mixed reviews going around. You'll hear fanboys moaning about the length of the campaign blah blah blah, but the length isn't an issue for a number of reasons. 1 - You can play the game on veteran for a challenge which will easily extend the life by a few hours. 2 - The cinematics are so awesome that it doesn't even matter. Short and sweet is better than long and boring. Anyway the main draw is the multiplayer. I'd like to draw a comparison with Uncharted 2 that I've recently played and completed. Uncharted 2 is hands down the best single player action experience I've ever had. Story, gameplay, graphics, all perfect. But I would rarely consider sitting down to play it online. It's a game you buy for the single player, not the multiplayer. MW2, however, is bought for it's multiplayer and not it's single player (although it's still awesome IMHO).

I'm sure a lot of people who are new to FPS are intimidated by the multiplayer option considering the hardcore players you find on there. While it's true you will get owned pretty often, there are loads of perks and challenges that aren't too hard and are designed to get you achieving things as soon as you start playing. When you start improving, the challenges will match your skill level. It's incredibly deep. I have no idea why any fan of MW1 would knock it because every area has been improved on. The only thing I would say is that the graphics aren't a patch on Uncharted 2. They are very similar to MW1 with only a few improvements and I think at this stage in the next-gen lifecycle they should be a bit better. Also the story is strung together very loosely and mostly undecipherable. However these things don't detract from the overall experience as the rest is so awesome that they don't matter.

Don't listen to the haters - this game is just plain fun and will last you for a very long time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2009 12:13 PM GMT