Profile for matrhos > Reviews

Nutrisport 90+ Protein 5Kg Chocolate
Nutrisport 90+ Protein 5Kg Chocolate
Offered by Pure Source Nutrition

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, basic protein, 2 Dec. 2013
This is the best value whey isolate blended protein I have been able to find. Tastes okay and mixes well in a shaker. Have been using it for over a year, one tub a month, and made steady gains. Not as good as Carnivore beef protein or some other blends of high quality proteins in terms of gains, but these other types cost about three times as much.

Denon DRA-N5WTE2 Home Audio System
Denon DRA-N5WTE2 Home Audio System

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for very specific needs, 25 Jan. 2013
After researching many, many different options for a new hifi system for the kitchen, I decided to buy the Denon CEOL Piccolo and I'm glad I did.

I needed a hifi that could stream my music from my NAS device and my iphone, ipad, wifes ipad etc. I also wanted radio functionality and good sound quality. That's all. No CD player etc. required. The Piccolo fit the bill perfectly.

Firstly, I updated the firmware (all automatic, took about 10 minutes). I then let it find and connect to my wifi network (An Apple Airport Express) and that was it! 10 seconds later I was listening to a FLAC track streamed via wifi from my NAS. No problems. Buffering each track takes about a second. The Denon has played every file format I've thrown at it flawlessly, including some 24 bit 96kHz FLACs.
Next, I tried the radio. Its not FM or DAB, but all internet radio. Again, 10 seconds later I was listening to Capital FM. There is a huge range of stations, all organised quite logically. All the BBC stations, just about every UK commercial station I could think of, and dozens, if not hundreds, more I have never heard before. Also, unlike conventional radios, podcasts are all listed and available to stream. There's hundreds on the BBC site alone. Each station takes about 3 seconds to buffer, and then plays without interruption. Changing stations takes just 3 seconds, the menu system is easy to navigate and quite responsive.
Finally, streaming from my iphone over Airplay. Easy. without any input from me, my iphone had already added the option of playing via 'CEOL Piccolo'. I pressed the button and about 4 or 5 seconds later music was playing from the Denon. Very impressive syncing of devices. (I have to say, Airplay functionality seems to be better on some apps than others. Some seemed a bit laggy and there was one app on which I couldn't get the music to stop playing!)

Sound quality is very impressive. A very smooth, detailed sound with plenty of body and scale. Its quite amazing that it comes from such a small box!

So in summary, if you want to stream music from a NAS, or your iphone, and you want a good internet radio (Internet radio has all of the channels you'd get with FM and DAB, but with no signal limitations) then I can't think of a better device. Also, I would it recommend over a Sonos, which was my second choice. Unlike the Sonos, the Denon has some simple controls on it so you don't need your phone every time you want to change a track or channel or volume etc. After living with the Denon for a few weeks, it has surprised me how often conventional controls are more convenient than using a phone or remote.

One word of warning... you need either a very, very good wifi signal or you need to use the Ethernet connection on the Piccolo. Without a good internet signal, you will experience slow response times, long buffering times and pauses in the transmission. Not a fault of the Denon unit really, just the limitations of wifi.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding personal NAS, 22 Feb. 2012
I've lived with the Synology 212j for about a month now and it has exceeded my expectations.

Installation was fairly straightforward, with a very user friendly interface. After installing and formatting the hard drive, I set to work transferring 1TB of data over from my computers. Transfer speeds were good, limited by wifi speeds rather than the NAS.

However, it is when actually using the device that I have been very impressed. I have three media servers throughout the house, two iPads and two iPhones. Media is accessible from all these devices quickly and reliably. The NAS copes with streaming to more than one device easily, with no loss of speed. This is in addition to background tasks that it performs too. The built in bit torrent server is excellent and doesn't harm performance when in use.

The unit is quiet and unobtrusive. I have had it on continually for a month now and it hasn't put a foot wrong. It remains cool even under load.

One final comment in response to some users complaints about thumbnailing. I uploaded about 5000 photos and it took the NAS a few days to complete creating thumbnails. This may sound a long time, but it is a background task that you don't notice happening. It just means that you can't view photos on Synology apps or some media players until the process is complete. Not a major problem, and certainly not one that would make me rate the unit one star!!

Panasonic Smart VIERA TX-P42G30B 42-inch HD Ready 600Hz Internet-Ready Plasma TV with Freeview HD Tuner

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value plasma from Panasonic, 11 May 2011
I've had my P42G30B for a few days now and have been very impressed. I have replaced a 4 year old Panasonic 37" plasma and the improvement in quality (both build and picture) is considerable. I would certainly recommend this TV to anyone looking for a 42" TV for around £6-700.

GOOD POINTS

Picture quality in THX mode (plus a little tweaking) is outstanding. Black levels are very imnpressive and colours are natural. At first, the picture looks a little washed out but after a few hours of watching my other televisions now look too vivid and un-natural. Now I love the natural picture the P42G30B produces.

The built in Freeview HD tuner is excellent. BBC HD looks much better than on Sky HD. (I compared both sources back to back for a while). Very smooth motion, excellent detail and colour. SD channels also look very good too. Again, much better than Sky SD channels.

The TV looks very sleek and modern. A huge improvement over last years sets and indeed my own 4 year old Panasonic. It is quite thin for a plasma too.

BAD POINTS

Nothing too bad here. The screen buzzed quite a bit when I first got it, especially on white scenes. This has subsided now so that I don't notice it. My old Panasonic buzzed very slightly on bright scenes too so it may be a Plasma/Panasonic thing? Slight buzzing is now only audible on mute in a quiet room, which I feel is perfectly acceptable.

Sound quality is what you'd expect from a modern flat screen. It does the job with Coronation Street, for example, but not so good for movies. Sound is no worse than most other sets I listened to.

Lastly, last years P42G20B was known for a flickering screen, which almost put me off getting this P42G30B (as I believe they use the same panel). I noticed the flickering in the shop, and even when setting it up at home, but in use I don't notice it. On a white screen I can detect a slight flicker out of the corner of my eye, but during normal watching I don't.

SUMMARY

After months of researching TVs I am happy I went for this one. I wanted the best possible picture quality for my money and I believe that this set delivers this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2011 9:02 AM GMT