Profile for Emma M. Quinn > Reviews

Get Some Headspace: How Mindfulness Can Change Your Life in Ten Minutes a Day
by Andy Puddicombe
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title - review of the CD, 5 Feb. 2013
I bought this CD thinking that it was a series of 10 minute meditations. It isn't. This is the audio book about how Andy Puddicombe came to meditation and mindfulness and talks through the different elements of our lives that can prevent us from being mindful.

If you've not done his workshops then this is a useful thing to buy and listen to. But if you're looking for supported meditation then this isn't the boxed set for you.

I felt that the product description was a bit misleading and the fact that there are 7 cds in the box should've been a warning but it isn't stated anywhere on the amazon page. The fact that there are no track listings doesn't help. Perhaps the publisher should update this product description?
The packaging was basic - again there is no track listing and all the CDs are labelled the same apart from the CD number.

I've returned the cd boxed set within an hour of receiving it after doing a quick skim through of the CDs - there didn't appear to be any supported meditation on them. I may have missed something. The only way to tell that this wasn't what I wanted, was to listen to the tracks, as (as stated before) there is little information on the box.

I think HeadSpace is great but this is not the product I was looking for.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Stylish. Not Practical, 4 May 2012
This is a gorgeous case for the iPhone but it really isn't designed to withstand any normal treatment most phones go through. I bought this for my boyfriend for Christmas. He managed to get the case onto the phone after a bit of fiddly de deeing, but a couple of months later the case cracked and broke.

My boyfriend was impressed with it as a gift and it did look fabulous, but as a case to 'protect' your phone it's not really fit for purpose.

Learn Italian with Paul Noble (Collins)
Learn Italian with Paul Noble (Collins)
by Paul Noble
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Audio Italian Course, 4 May 2012
I ordered this audio Italian course after reading the reviews. I had used part of the Introduction to Italian by Michel Thomas and thought this sounded similar in style but was considerably cheaper.

It is close to the Michel Thomas style and is utterly brilliant. I have been trying to learn Italian for years but the confidence this course has given me has provided the impetus to really give it my best shot this time.

The course focuses on teaching you to speak Italian and uses situations you would need on a visit to the country - the hotel, directions, feeling unwell etc. It doesn't insist on trying to get you to conjugate verbs (which is how I was dragged through French at school) but focuses on using the language naturally and this makes things much easier.

The use of repetition of phrases and words really helps you to remember and gives you confidence when you're remembering the phrases without too much effort. I really love the fact that you are asked to form phrases and sentences yourself and then are given the correct phrase by a native speaker. I also like the associations Paul makes with English words or phrases, which really does help to make things easier to remember. For example some verbs are very similar to English and he explains how switching the ending to the word turns it into Italian.

I've been listening to the course on my iPod on my bus journey to and from work and it's been remarkably easy to switch on and follow the course - I actually look forward to reviewing some of the course during my lunch break! I do use the pause button for phrases I need more time to form, and for that reason would not recommend using this in the car - you really need to concentrate on what's being said. Whenever my mind drifts I have to rewind.

I'm up to CD 9 but have repeated one or two that I've found more tricky. However, this is the beauty of the course, it's possible to revisit parts of the course to refresh your memory whenever you like.

I sincerely hope that Paul Noble and Collins bring out another Italian course building on this one so that I can take my language learning further. This is a great start to the language and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to speak Italian.

Joanna Hall - 28 Day Total Body Plan/Drop A Size For Life [DVD]
Joanna Hall - 28 Day Total Body Plan/Drop A Size For Life [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joanna Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 12 Nov. 2010
I've been using this DVD on and off for over a year now. I enjoy using the 28 Day Total Body Plan (28DTBP) more than the Drop a Size for Life (DSL)as it requires less equipment. The DSL work out is more segmented and allows you to put a series of workout elements in the order you want which is useful, but I found the routines Instant Booster and Metabolic Booster need a lot of stuff (chairs, mats, wall space etc) that I don't have room for when working out. I live in a flat with limited space. The Midriff Management and Lower Body programmes are good but there is a lot of changing around that could have been organised better, ie moving from lying on your back, to your side and back to your back again, rather than doing all the exercises on the back first.

I also find that the instructions aren't that clear with both DVDs. I do appreciate that it's really hard to do exercises while explaining what to do but sometimes there was a disconnect with what Joanna was saying and what she was doing - sometimes the terms used for one particular move suddenly became the term for another type of move. The use of post-production voice over could have alleviated some of these problems - Jane Fonda was doing this in the 80s so it's not like it's a groundbreaking technique.

After using the DVD for so long I'm now pretty familiar with it, but realise that for a beginner it could make things a bit tricky.

Also there are some elements advertised with the DVDs that aren't available in this double pack (there are no inserts in the DVD) - perhaps they still are with the individually sold versions of the workouts.

Despite these issues however, I do enjoy doing the routines and work up a bit of a sweat with the Cardio Can Do & Sweat Sculpt and Success from the 28DTBP.

Word of warning to those living in a flat with downstairs neighbours - there is some jumping and running on the spot, which is always a concern for me as my running in the living room, means I'm pounding the ceiling of my downstairs neighbour!

I am getting a bit used to the routines now so I am looking for a new DVD challenge, but would recommend the DVD to someone looking to start exercising at home. For the price it's great value.

TIMEX Ironman 50 Lap Sleek
TIMEX Ironman 50 Lap Sleek

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sports watch for women, 20 July 2010
This review is from: TIMEX Ironman 50 Lap Sleek (Watch)
I bought this as I wanted to start running and interval training and needed a timer and stopwatch. The size of the wrist strap was of concern to me as I've got small wrists but it fits just fine and has a strap that will adjust to larger writsts than mine.

The functions on the watch were perfect for my new training regime and it's easy to get to grips with. I read the enclosed mannual and pretty well know what I'm doing now without it.

I've never had a digital watch before and at a very basic level it's nice being able to tell the time really easily!

The watch face is small which I like (I did look at cheaper mens sports watches but they were quite large) but the face is large enough to read at a glance.

All in all I would recommend this watch to anyone looking for a sports watch.