Profile for M. Daley > Reviews

Content by M. Daley

M. Daley (London, England)

Children Of Dune: The Third Dune Novel (The Dune Sequence Book 3)
Children Of Dune: The Third Dune Novel (The Dune Sequence Book 3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful edition of a great book, 14 Sept. 2014
A great and splendid story, nearly ruined by this appallingly bad edition. Typo after typo confounds the sense of the text and sometimes loses it completely. For a book in a series so completely concerned with nuance and subtlety in language to suffer this careless hacking-about is really very disappointing. Buy it in paperback instead and save yourself a headache or nine.

Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M Document Scanner
Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M Document Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformational little thing, 2 Dec. 2011
I've been looking for ways to reduce my piles of paperwork (I'm a hoarder; this is just personal stuff and bills) for ages, and finally settled on the ScanSnap. I confess I prevaricated for years about actually buying one, uncertain whether I could justify the investment -- I'm sorry I waited so long. All those essays from Uni that I couldn't quite bring myself to chuck out? Now they're searchable, backed-up PDFs stored in the cloud -- and the original paper is off for recycling, freeing up four shelves and making my upcoming move that little bit easier. Bills? Gone. Random bits of paper? Gone. Business cards? Gone. The fear that a fragile receipt for an expensive purchase will turn out on retrieval from the file to be blank with age? Gone. (I'll add that it'll even scan quite stiff material - so I've got images of my credit cards stored in a secure location in case they should be filched.)

The build quality is far higher than I'd anticipated, the lid having a really reassuring soft-close mechanism. It's quick, the sheet feeder isn't completely infallible but really does take the minimum of effort; handling non-standard paper sizes is so simple you don't notice. The software (I use a Mac) is pretty simple and very reliable. Though the little monitor application sat in the dock isn't quite as intuitive as I'd like, it's certainly not eating lots of memory or CPU when inactive.

Overall a strong recommend, I'd say, for anyone with the desire to have less paper in their life!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2012 6:38 PM BST