Profile for evilcoffee > Reviews

evilcoffee

Fallout GE2057 Vault Boy Collage Mug
Fallout GE2057 Vault Boy Collage Mug
Offered by Acrodeal

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but it is two-toned with a medium-grey pattern on a white mug., 9 July 2015
The mug is great but both the sides and an unconnected "strip" around the outside of the handle are a medium grey tone containing the "Vault-Boy" pattern, whilst the remainder of the mug is white – unlike the photos on this site, there is a noticeable contrast.

New Nintendo 3DS Charging Cradle - White
New Nintendo 3DS Charging Cradle - White
Offered by konsolenkost

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, basic, and ok – but a little disappointing., 17 Feb. 2015
It's ok but it's not great – for me at least:

I currently have it by my bedside, I want to dock the device quickly at night and it's too easy to have the device the wrong way round if you're not thinking carefully and the light is off – the design is such that its possible to "almost" dock it in this way.

The dock is a little grippy, it may loosen up in time, but while it looks cool I prefer the "tray" style of the old cradle which made it easy to dock a device quickly and remove it.

The dock is also too light, I may have to look into adding a spot of blu-tac to hold it down, and this makes the "grippy-ness" more annoying – I wish Nintendo had taken the same approach as Sony have with their controller dock where there is a weight added into the base of the unit to hold it down when items are being docked or removed.

Nintendo Handheld Console 3DS - New Nintendo 3DS - White
Nintendo Handheld Console 3DS - New Nintendo 3DS - White

5.0 out of 5 stars A well made, well designed console with a great screen and 3D that just works – worth upgrading if you play a lot of 3DS games., 17 Feb. 2015
I upgraded from a 3DS XL and I'm very pleased with the result – a few things worth mentioning based on the reviews I've read online.

Firstly the lack of charger – it's not ideal, but the charger comes separately in other countries as well, it looks like Nintendo want to standardise their packaging across countries; I think the bigger mistake is Amazon's copywriting team not putting "Charger sold separately" in bold text as one of the key sales facts listed at the top of the page and making it an easy bundle choice.

Transferring data from an old device – this was a lot easier than many review sites claimed and the manuals supplied are very clear on the process; the key annoyance cited in many reviews is the need to unscrew the rear casing of the device to access the SD card. I personally think that's a positive – it means both the battery and your data card are safely shielded from accidentally coming loose. I'm an adult, but I can absolutely understand that Nintendo would want it to be a deliberate act to remove the cover rather than have accusations that young children have easy access to what is a fairly dangerous (when mishandled) lithium ion battery. Having done it, it's really easy, the screws are not long and are retained by the rear cover plate – replacement plates come with their own set of screws. Given the design goals of simplicity, safety and allowing for customisation, I think Nintendo got this right.

The new stable 3D – it really works well even in low light, it's not foolproof but you have to be shaking the device around like a lunatic to get it to lose focus – so for the first time I can play action games like Mario Kart and Starfox that can make the console wobble around as you play and still enjoy the 3D effect.

The screen size – I've sized-down from an XL and I really think the new device nails the right size for mobile gaming; I'd urge you to try both if you're doubtful but I find the smaller denser pixel display easier to look at for longer periods than the XL, it's a trick of the optics but going back to some older games, they do seem sharper and more detailed: Luigi's Mansion 2 looks fantastic.

It also feels very well made, in a way the old XL didn't, good though it was. I wouldn't want to mistreat it but it feels the way a Nintendo should: functional, solid and utilitarian like the Gamecube and DS Lite were. I feel like I can throw it in a bag without worrying it's going to stop working – It's not trying to be trendy or fashionable, it's just trying to be a good portable games console. It is.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2015 8:10 PM GMT

Instax Share SP-1 Printer with 20 Shots
Instax Share SP-1 Printer with 20 Shots

5.0 out of 5 stars Just terrific, for what it is., 19 May 2014
This is a wonderful device, but you have to appreciate it for its unique merits – this is not an ultra hi-resolution printer, and the prints are only the size of a business card; but they're genuine instant photographs, developing over the course of a minute or so in front of your eyes.

The device itself is of moderate size, think of it like a chubby portable CD player – it's pocketable in a roomy jacket, will happily live in a bag. It's pretty solid, equivalent to one of the regular Instax cameras; I'm happy to stuff it in my camera bag along with my other gear.

Loading it is a doddle, and it runs off a couple of CR2 batteries that come with it – they're good for 100 prints apparently, I plan to buy a second set and stash them in my bag ahead of time. Film comes in packs of 10 prints, a dab of the power button shows you how many are left in the device.

Using it is relatively simple: your phone or tablet connects to it over wifi, the device broadcasts an SSID and you join with it like you would any wireless hotspot – the app to control it is free from the App Store and has a simple interface that gets the job done.

Printing takes about 15 seconds, I've been sending over 4-5mb files previously transferred to my iPad from my camera – the print itself then develops over the next minute or so.

The image quality is great for what it is: I've printed some colour and B&W shots and both are more than acceptable for an instant photo.

So look, it really won't rival anything you can get from a supermarket instant print service in colour or sharpness and if you go in with that expectation you'll likely be disappointed – if you want that level of quality in a portable device, a Canon Selphy is probably the only device for you.

But if you want charm, if you want a little theatre and immediacy in your photography that creates endearingly real photos you can hand around in the moment, there's nothing like it.

Body Sculpture Cast Iron 20kg Dumbbell Kit with Case - Black
Body Sculpture Cast Iron 20kg Dumbbell Kit with Case - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok weights, shame about the case, 23 April 2012
To confirm other reviews, the case arrived cracked and missing the latches that keep it shut.

The weights themselves are fine, and the metal spinlocks are much better than the plastic ones supplied with other brands.

They do smell from the preservative oil coating them to prevent rusting, but it's not overpowering, has lessened in the last few days and is certainly not detectable at a distance.

Braun Classic Crescendo Alarm Clock BNC001BK - Black
Braun Classic Crescendo Alarm Clock BNC001BK - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Not that quiet really..., 17 Oct. 2011
The product boasts a "Quiet step clock movement" in the product details, and on the Braun Clocks website it states it has a "silent German precision quartz movement".

It may be precise, it's definitely quartz; but it is not silent, it is not quiet.

Right now it's on my bedside table and I'm as far away from it as I can get without falling out of bed: the ticking is loud enough to be heard over the sound of my typing.

It's a nice clock, with classic Braun styling (it's made under license) but it is not quite as well constructed as the originals.

I'm keeping it but others may find the noisy ticking off-putting for a device intended to be kept by their bed.

Brink Keyring Tube with 5 Rings Stainless Steel
Brink Keyring Tube with 5 Rings Stainless Steel

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, underwhelming., 21 April 2011
Only the outer crescent is made of stainless steel, the actual ring appears to be made of much cheaper metal and the inner spring holding the ring together is weak with a extremely "scratchy" action when slid open.

For the price I'm a little disappointed with the construction, as the manufacturer also makes clocks under the Karlsson brand which are of a good quality.

I have doubt about how it will stand up to repeated use but it's not sufficiently poor to be worth the hassle of a return - I would buy with caution.

MacBook Air 2013 13 inch Natural Linen Sleeve Grey Flannel
MacBook Air 2013 13 inch Natural Linen Sleeve Grey Flannel

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant design for elegant laptop, 29 Oct. 2010
Shipping was quick, the customer service was excellent.

The sleeve itself is very nice, well made and of a high quality material, it's much nicer than the kind you can get on the High Street.

It also has a inner "lip" inside the sleeve that folds over the edge of the laptop, keeping the laptop in place and preventing that edge from scratches - most of the sleeves I'd looked at didn't have this, using zips that could scratch the surface or just leaving edges exposed.

I really like the lack of branding and bling: it's an elegant, understated design that goes well with my Macbook.

Made in the UK, I also like that Wrappers offset the carbon for the delivery by donating to energy efficient bulbs to schools, it's a great touch.