Profile for T. Goldsmith > Reviews

Content by T. Goldsmith

T. Goldsmith (Dorset, England)

Dream Theater
Dream Theater

3.0 out of 5 stars Masterful playing but missing a soul!, 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of this band for 15 years and have seen them play four times. They never fail to stun me with their musical prowess and efficiency and some of the most spine tingling moments I have experienced with music have come from listening to Dream Theater.

When I received the CD through the door, I felt the excitement of what I was about to discover. Dream Theater are pretty much 'to me' the only band that still have this intrigue and allure about them and I always prepare to have my mind blown when listening to their new material and like to savour it and indulge slowly. There is no shortage of this mind blowing element to the album and the playing in parts is truly staggering (Enigma Machine) but what is missing is an emotional connection and sincerity I have felt with most of their other offerings.

I have now listened to the album six times and have really tried to understand and appreciate all the nuances of the music but to me it still sounds too scripted, robotic and convoluted. I'm a sucker for the melodic themes and climatic crescendos that Dream Theater are so fantastically awesome at creating but there just isn't enough of this here. It all just sounds a bit jostled together (Illumination Theory) over produced and a departure from what the band is capable of.

Rudess seams to struggle to find a new bank of synth sounds and experiment with the enormous potential of the soundscape his instruments can produce and as much as I admire Petrucci and his ferocity, he's starting to go a bit Malmsteen with the shred. His controlled and exotic phrasing is one of his finest characteristics and for me this triggers the 'spine tingling moments' in Dream Theaters music (e.g. Count of Tuscany & Breaking All Illusions) but this is infrequently demonstrated on Dream Theater. Also what does Mike Mangini actually bring to the band in terms of creativity? He's a monster player but to me lacks the heart and personality that Portnoy exuded.

With time I may warm to this album slightly and with all that's been said, I still think it's an enjoyable listen on the whole but also forgettable in equal measure.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2013 9:55 PM GMT

BW® Ployer Momo20s - 10.1 Inch Quad Core Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean), IPS SCREEN - 1280 x 800 Resolution; WIFI; QUAD CORE - 4 X CORTEX A7 (4 x 1.2GHz); 8 X PowerVR GPUs; 10 Point Touch Screen, 16GB Storage, 1GB DDR3 Memory, HDMI & 3D Output - New Google Play Installed - Dual Camera 1.3MP Front & 2.0MP Rear Camera's - Flash 11.1 Pre-Installed - All iPlayers and Flash Content Compatible

1.0 out of 5 stars Took the risk and paid the price!!, 18 May 2013
So after reading all the good reviews about this tablet and being prepared to part with a lot more money for the likes of an Ipad or Nexus 10, I took the plunge and ordered the Momo20. I was slightly anxious about the possibility of there being problems with the device but didn't expect any to arise within 1 minute of turning it on for the first time. Upon its first power up everything seemed to be ok but seconds after the home screen loading up, the screen resolution and colours distorted and there were visible fine red and white lines across the top. I immediately knew this wasn't a good sign as I have seen computer LCD monitors do this and assumed it was the same problem that I wouldn't be able to fix. I restarted the tablet, did a factory reset but to no avail.

I will now send the tablet back but was even considering trying my luck again and asking for a replacement but the seller only offers refunds - bizarre! It's a real shame as the spec is so good for the price and I was really looking forward to having fun with my first tablet. I guess I must be one of the unlucky ones but be warned, these tablets are obviously cheap for a reason and the QC of Ployer may leave you with the same frustration as I've experienced.

Wired-up HDMI Pro Gold, HDMI TO HDMI Cable With Ethernet
Wired-up HDMI Pro Gold, HDMI TO HDMI Cable With Ethernet
Offered by XY Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like it should..., 17 Dec. 2009
Great product that works just like it should. Don't believe the marketing rubbish about "quality" HDMI cables that cost an arm & a leg! These are as good as any QED or Monster cable that costs £50+ and my digital 0's & 1's are so crisp and pronounced! xD

Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Offered by SANNCE & ANNKE

5.0 out of 5 stars Well chuffed!!!, 17 Dec. 2009

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter pants!, 17 Dec. 2009
A Pants product that litterally disintegrated within days of attempting to protect my phone. Started as a tiny crack in the corner and spread quickly with bits dropping off, and I had taken good care of it. Whats worse was that grit somehow managed to infiltrate its "force field" like shell and scratch my screen, thus defeating its entire purpose of being a phone protector. Good service though and you do get what you pay for!

One Night In Dublin - A Tribute To Phil Lynott [Blu-ray] [2009]
One Night In Dublin - A Tribute To Phil Lynott [Blu-ray] [2009]
Dvd ~ Gary Moore & Friends
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concert & PQ but lousy AQ!, 17 Dec. 2009
First off the concert and its energy is pretty good and the level of musicianship is never in question. The picture quality on the whole is generally excellent and the detail offered in this Blu-ray release is on par with other concerts I own in this format.

My major gripe with this disc however is the Audio quality and more importantly the technical oversight by the mix engineers or mastering engineer that produced the final audio track(s). There is a fizzing, hissing or distorting sound in the high frequencies (around 15KHz +)on every song on the disc and it sounds as if either the original audio was clipping (overloading) during the recording stage or due to some mastering tool that has been used to process the audio which has created a strange digital artifacting. Whatever it is and however it was created is besides the point and it is surprising and very disappointing that such a stellar concert should be let down by what I would consider an obvious and crude technical error.

On my setup (Philips 47" 9632D, Sony BDP-S350, Denon AVR1909, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 1, 6, 5 and a BK XLS200 sub all running through a power conditioner and lovingly setup) it is fairly audible and very distracting, to the point where I don't know if I can watch the Blu-ray again and actually enjoy it. The problem may not be as evident on certain systems and if so may not be discerniable to everyone but after many listens and tests on a couple of other HT systems I have come to the conclusion that I am not going mad...well hopefully not anyaway!

I currently work in the Film business and have been a keen audiophile for many years. Maybe I just have trained ears that are over critical but I would be very interested to hear from anyone else who has experienced the same problem as myself. However like I said at the beginning of the review, the concert itself looks good, has an excellent setlist and for any true fan of the legendary Gary Moore & Thin Lizzy then this release is worth a purchase.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2014 6:39 PM BST

Philips 47PFL9632 - 47" Widescreen 1080P Full HD LCD TV - With Ambilight & Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll never want to go outside again!!, 10 Aug. 2008
Like many others who are prepared to spend this much money I wanted to make sure that I researched the market and product specs for all the TV's out there that offer such similar features. This I did and I ummed and arrred for ages trying to decide what to go for but a few great reviews of this Tv coupled with its spec list made up my mind. Firstly I am very critical when it comes to technology as I work in the industry and have seen a lot of crap and hype! so I was prepared for some disappointments. However so far with this Tv I have had none as it is stong in all areas of my criteria.

There is much to be said about this TV as it really is 'loaded' with all the facilities and technology that make it a future proof choice and they come together to make an amazing product that gives fantastically pleasing results. It ticked all the boxes for me with full 1920 x 1080p (24fps) resolution, 100Hz screen, almost plazma matching contrast and one other thing...oh yeah that's it 'AMBILIGHT'. This is the Tv's swansong and it really does have such a positive effect on viewing that I cannot imagine not having it now that I've seen its affect. It brings the visuals to life so amazingly and I have tested it 'in the dark - unlike a showroom' with a variety of media from rock concerts, animation and blu-ray action flicks and it complements everything - I really cannot promote this feature any stronger, you have to see it!

There is so much to congratulate Philips on for delivering a product like this but all you need to know is that the image quality is almost flawless and the colours and contrast scale are so accurate and vivid and watching blu-ray or hooking up a top notch pc to play Crysis or Grid is like having an epiphany! For Tv buffs like my other half, the SD picture is also strong and clear. You can tweak this set very easily too and you will need to do this to get the best out of it but the time will be well spent. Some of the image settings available are sometimes better left off as the processing can start to make the image look too synthetic and can also start degrading the picture slightly but this is subjective and on the whole the features all work independantly and very well with one another.

The sound is also excellent and there is plenty of detail and frequency range in SD & HD but hook up a surround sound or 2.1 system to really get the home cinema experience.

It's a greatlooking Tv (more so than the pics I've seen on the net), works intuitively and logically and delivers very pleasing results and what's most it has AMBILIGHT!!

Great price also, and well done to Amazon for a quick and efficient delivery.