Profile for Kirstyanne Ross > Reviews

Some Veil Did Fall
Some Veil Did Fall
by Kirsty Ferry

5.0 out of 5 stars takes the spirit of Whitby to a whole new level, 5 May 2015
This review is from: Some Veil Did Fall (Paperback)
When people think of Whitby they undoubtedly think of Bram Stockers' Dracula, the Goth festival and the picturesque Abbey on the cliffs above the breaking sea. That was exactly what Becky was thinking about when she went back to her home town as a reporter to write an article on the yearly festival which draws so much attention. When she bumps right into a man who spills coffee all over, she is pulled into his world while she searches for the perfect picture to frame her piece. As she searches for the girl who's picture she was about to take, Becky is pulled into another lifetime.

A brilliant read as always, by a brilliant author. I love the plot twists and that I am always left guessing.

Touch a Dark Wolf (The Shadowmen Book 1)
Touch a Dark Wolf (The Shadowmen Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I was surprised, 21 Feb. 2015
at just how much I enjoyed this book. The idea of shadow warriors protecting a line of blood that dates back so far to keep the balance is an intriguing one to me. I am looking forwards to reading the next instalment to see where the story is leading.

StitchBow Mini Needlework Travel Bag Gift Pack-
StitchBow Mini Needlework Travel Bag Gift Pack-

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 11 Mar. 2013
I am so glad I treated myself to this. It currently holds a full kit, spare needles, all the threads, embellishments, the fabric and chart, as well as a highlighter and pen for marking the chart, plus my little snips and extra bits and bobs, worth the money and since it was dispatched from USA very quick delivery too! It is likely I will order another one soon x

Refuge
Refuge

5.0 out of 5 stars When worlds collide where do you find your refuge?, 14 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Refuge (Kindle Edition)
When Kester Lawson see's his sister enthralled and taken by a vampire he vows to get his revenge. After studying at Oxford he was able to access the grand library and he spent hours researching the creature, trying to find ways to kill it. The list of ways to kill the vampire was as long as the list of vampire tales in folklore, but one amulet caught his eye. Alas it had been lost during the crusades and the only way to get another was to have one made. The biggest problem was that it needed to be blessed by the monks on Lindisfarne - the monastery was long disused and the monks long gone. How would Kester bless the amulet? Would he be able to find the vampire that had killed his sister?

This book has three strands, the strand in the 1860's follows Kester on his quest while we follow the present day Guy on the Holy Island watching after a group of students who have turned up on the Island and descended on the little inn he was staying at. The last strand follows Genevieve who is running from her abusive brother in 1885, she runs straight into the arms of the one suitor her family doesn't want her to have calling. The grand ball thrown in her honour didn't go to plan and once again she runs.

As all three tales entwine we are on a fast moving journey of violence, ill fated love and hatred carried through the ages, the Holy Islands becomes the centre of this epic tale.

I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone.

Nuby Teething Blankie (Styles May Vary)
Nuby Teething Blankie (Styles May Vary)
Offered by iWantDhat

4.0 out of 5 stars Teether Toy Trials - 3, 13 Jan. 2013
I have only one issue with this blanket, my son thinks it's a toy and forgets to use it as a teether! LOL. It is a lovely blanket which is nice and bright, has soft fabric, which crinkles and has a teddy face which squeaks. Each corner has a teether bit on there so it is unlikely that your child will chew on it. My son is 3 months old and can get it into his mouth easy enough, likes to play with it and is happy to sleep with it as a comforter too! The only reason I have given the product four out of five is because I have to use a second teether while my son plays with this one :)

Nuby Gum-eez First Teether - White
Nuby Gum-eez First Teether - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Teether Toy Trials - 2, 12 Jan. 2013
The things I like about these teethers are:

They are from birth, most others seem to be from either 4 or 6 months.
They are shaped to help develop the front teeth and because they are shaped like a soother it was easier to keep in his mouth whereas the others have to be held for him.
You can put teething gel on the teether part of it to help relieve the teething pain.
Because they are shaped like a soother they have the handle so you can attach them to a soother clip to keep them safe.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these soothers for young babies who are teething, there aren't many about that are for less than 4 months old and these ones are perfect, even Oliver thinks so!

Nuby Bug a Loop Teether
Nuby Bug a Loop Teether

4.0 out of 5 stars Teether Toy Trials, 12 Jan. 2013
I quite liked this little teether toy, it is currently on sale on the Nuby website for £2.99 (a bargain if you ask me) and I know it is currently on sale in the Boots buy one get one half price on Nuby products. I've also seen it on the shelves in Asda so definitely not hard to track down for your little one. It's normal price is £3.99. It is a ring about 5" in diameter of different silicone beads. Some are shaped like bugs, hence the name, others are normal shape but textured. Oliver had a chew on all of the different ones and found a favourite texture for his gums very quickly.

The teether toy is not very big and at only 13 weeks and 13 lbs Oliver is able to hold it, even if he can't guide it quite to his mouth as yet. So we still have a job for mummy to do. The guide is for 4+ months but with supervision today Oliver has been fine with this toy and has quite enjoyed chewing on it. We have had a little less dribble and not as much commotion from his teeth hurting. I think the extra month may just mean that he can hold it to his mouth himself and can fit the teething nubs into his mouth a little easier.

The toy has very good reviews and is always raved about on the Nuby Facebook page and after today I can see why. It is nice and bright, soft enough that when a baby bites down with gums it doesn't hurt but hard enough to give that soothing feeling. It is also flexible and easy for a baby to move about. Oliver seems to favour the round red bead but with all the different textures I am certain that dependant on which bit of his gum is hurting at the time they will all have their uses. One thing I am contemplating doing is using a toy strap to attach it to his car seat so we always have it with us. Other than the fact it doesn't have its own loop to attach to prams and car seats I can't fault this product and for that I am giving it a 4 out of 5 star rating.
Summary: I would recommend for any babies (with supervision)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick delivery, brilliant product, 3 Nov. 2012
After reading some of the reviews on this product I was unsure whether or not to purchase this item or one more expensive. My husband prompted me to buy it as a replacement for the one we currently have which is on its way out.
This remote is perfect, it works not only with the sky box but we have been able to programme it with the television as well, the quality is very good and it is sturdy (yes I've already dropped it whilst juggling my one month old!).
Ordered on Thursday night, delivered on Saturday! Can't ask for more than that.

Blood Tide: A Promise of Freedom
Blood Tide: A Promise of Freedom

5.0 out of 5 stars Slavery and Magic, 13 Sept. 2012
Written about Amber, a slave girl working on a Caribbean plantation the book follows her journey, from being sold to a ship by the Masters son, and her journey across the waters. A mix of piracy and mutiny, with many new friendships forged, friendships lost and of other new and exciting relationships along the way including a love interest for her as well!
A brilliant read for anyone interested in either the slave trade or pirates! I couldn't put this book down and read it in two nights.

The Memory of Snow
The Memory of Snow

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 25 May 2012
I didn't know much about the history of Coventina's well until I read this and although it is fiction it is well researched and the descriptions of the area are brilliant.

As the book goes through the three different time lines I was drawn to all three central characters and found I wanted them to win their battles to make sure that the evil of the area is banished.

This is a well written novel that took me on a journey and I would happily join the author on any of her other journies through narrative in the future.

Page: 1 | 2