Profile for Ms. J. Clarke > Reviews

Content by Ms. J. Clarke

Ms. J. Clarke "Jenfar" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Deadly Night: Jenni and Katie's Untold Tale: A Short Story From the As The World Dies Universe (As The World Dies Untold Tales series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars The author also mentions that it is a sort of sequel to one of the stories from Untold Tales Volume 2 "A Terrible Moment". I re-, 22 Oct. 2014
I have waited so long for this promised story, thank goodness the fb page hit 5,000 likes!

So this is a story about Jenny and Katie, taken from sometime in between The First Days and Fighting to Survive. The author also mentions that it is a sort of sequel to one of the stories from Untold Tales Volume 2 "A Terrible Moment". I re-read that tale before I read the new one. You don't need to but if you have it to hand or haven't read it before it's worth it to refresh your memory.

I am so happy that this tale showed us badasses Jenny and Katie again, fighting hand in hand. It's what I always loved about them and what makes me miss them. I have re-read the series so many times which is not something I do a lot and I find something new to enjoy every time. This story encompassed everything I loved about them and their friendship and included some of my other favorite characters from the series. A fantastic and gripping novella.

I realize Miss Frater has no plans for a sequel, and I am okay with that. The series ended fantastically and if I have to imagine in my own mind what became of Ashley Oaks then I'm okay with that too. But if the author finds any other untold tales rattling around in that brain of hers then I hope she one day decides to share them with us, perhaps one a year to help with the withdrawal!

As The World Dies Untold Tales Volume 3
As The World Dies Untold Tales Volume 3
by Rhiannon Frater

5.0 out of 5 stars Spoiler free review!, 8 Jun. 2013
I waited very impatiently for this book so was super excited when the author released the ebook early through her website.
(I just ordered the paperback). It was everything I hoped it would be.

Rune's Story : I loved Rune in the trilogy so was very excited to find out more about him from before he turned up at the
fort. This story gave me all that. We discover how he found out about the zombocalypse (get tissues ready) and how he ends
up being in the right place at the right time to help. There's some appearances from much loved characters, but mostly I really enjoyed getting to know Rune better. He has to be one of my favourite characters and even more so now.

Senator Brightman's Story : God what a cow she is! And this story does not make her any more likeable. We all know how her story ends from the trilogy but this tells us what happened in between leaving the mall and that ending. We also get to find out the fate of a couple of the soldiers too which was a nice bonus. Again, we see some characters reappear and find out what happened to them too, all stuff I was wondering about. I love the way Rhiannon ties it all together, all the loose threads coming together so it all makes sense. She really is an incredibly talented author.

Emma's Story : For many of us a character we have never met or heard of but one I instantly fell in love with. Completely badass but with her own heartbreaking story I was routing for her from the start. I loved her determination and her will to live, even after all the awful things she had been through. Once again, her story ties in brilliantly with the end of Seige and WHAT HAPPENS AFTERWARDS!! It's brief but the end of Emma's story is also the end of everyone's story. We get a little look at life after 'Seige' for the people at the fort and I lived it. It wasn't over done, so subtly written but it made me cry, with happiness mostly.

I am happy and sad that I read this. Happy because it had an amazing ending that really rounded off the series in a lovely way. I feel comfortable letting the characters go and satisfied by the way it all worked out. I'm sad because this is it THAT'S ALL FOLKS there are no more stories to tell. While waiting to read this there was always just a bit more of the story to read, now I know there isn't because I read it and that does make me a little sad. But only for a moment, because then I just pick up the books and read them all over again, I'll be doing that for a long time to come.

Bravo Rhiannon Frater - you did not disappoint and Untold Tales Volume 3 leaves you sitting comfortably on my top 10 favourite authors list!

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
by Rachel Cohn

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty impressed, 20 May 2013
I always try to read the book before I see the film, and I can now see why they picked Kat Dennings to play Norah.
I have yet to watch the film but I can already tell she'll make an awesome Norah, it's like the character was written for her.

I'm a big Rachel Cohn fan, have been since I read "You Know Where to Find Me" which is fantastic and although this is a lot different from that I still really enjoyed it. Also love David Levithan so a book by them both was a dream come true.
I love Nick and Norah, loved the alternating perspective chapters and loved how both authors bring New York to life, the only complaint I have is the book could have been longer!

A quick, quirky and sometimes laugh out loud funny book by two incredible writers, looking forward to reading more by both.

The Last Little Blue Envelope (13 Little Blue Envelopes)
The Last Little Blue Envelope (13 Little Blue Envelopes)
by Maureen Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars Wrapping up the story - sort of, 20 Mar. 2013
I really enjoyed the 13 Little Blue envelopes and this, it's sequel, was really enjoyable too. Perhaps not
quite as good but still a really good read.

It follows on from the envelopes being stolen, along with the 13th unread one. Ginny recieves an email from
someone called Oliver who lives in London, saying he has found her letters and wants to return them to her.
She immediately hops on a plane back to England, to pick up where she left off. But it's not that simple.
Things have changed, people have moved on and Oliver's motives are not all they innitially appear to be.

Queue another exciting, spontaneous trip full of surprises around Europe, guided by her aunts last letter, to
fins her last piece of art work. Things don't go according to plan, relationships are tested and Ginny eventually
figures out what her next move will be in life.

Exciting, heartwarming and a nice way to round off the story, the Last Little Blue Envelope is unmissable for
fans of the first book, and most definitely not a disappointment.

13 Little Blue Envelopes
13 Little Blue Envelopes
by Maureen Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Underated, 17 Mar. 2013
I've never read anything of Maureen Johnson's before, and looking at reviews I really didn't know what to expect,
so I guess my expectations were low.

I loved this book.

No it didn't blow me away like some books I have read. So why the 5 stars? I really enjoyed it. It didn't put me
through a huge emotional rollercoaster, but sometimes your emotions need a rest. I felt like I had made the journey
with Ginny, visited the places, experienced what she experienced. That is all I expect from a book like this.
I wish I could just take off on a crazy, unplanned journey where you don't know what will happen next and after
reading this I feel a little like I have. It was really well written, genuinely funny and there were parts
that made me feel sad. So not a life changing event, reading this book, but thoroughly enjoyable. I am desperate
to find out what was in the 13th envelope, and it just so happens I have "The Last Little Blue Envelope" sat on
my bookshelf, waiting. So I'm going to go read it ......

Right Now.

You Are Here
You Are Here
by Jennifer E. Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my better christmas presents, 11 Mar. 2013
This review is from: You Are Here (Paperback)
I had never read anything by Jennifer E Smith before until I was bought this for christmas. And I have to say that
it was quite brilliant. Emma feels like a misfit in her family, the odd one out who nobody understands or even tries
to get to know. One day she discovers something in the attic, a birth certificate for a twin brother she never knew
existed, and tragically, a death certificate dated just 2 days later.

In a state of shock she feels unable to confront her family about this secret they have kept for so long and with her
birthday just days away, she decides to "borrow" her brothers car and drive down to visit her lost twins grave and try
to find some answers. After experiencing car trouble she calls on Peter, a sort of friend, to come help her and he very
quickly obliges. He's having his own problems at home with his Dad and had already decided to make an escape of his own.
The 2 embark on a road trip, picking up a stray dog on the way. Learning things they never knew about themselves and
the people they care about most, and discovering new things about each other.

This book is written from both Peter and Emma's perspective in alternating chapters, but in the third person. At first I
found this a bit odd and it took some getting used to as I don't often read books written in this way. However, it's clear
that the author chose this as it is the only way that we can see everything that both Emma and Peter experience and once
I got used to it it worked really well and I enjoyed seeing inside both characters in a complete way, knowing what both
were thinking. Jennifer E Smith has written a funny whilst heart breaking story that at times had me in tears. I couldn't
help but feel for Emma and Peter, who have both suffered tragic losses in life, and their families who may not have
handled things well, had only done the things they had done to try to cope with their own grief, in the only way they
knew how. Truly excellent book that is well worth a read.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinite, 26 Oct. 2012
The Perks of Being a Wallflower has to be one of the most moving, touching books I have ever read. I'm only sad that
I didn't read it sooner. At first I wasn't sure I liked the fact that it was written as a series of letters from
Charlie to a mystery "Friend" but after not long I realised that it fitted perfectly, and was the best way for Charlie
to tell his story. This book is truly unique, Charlie's voice is so vivid, he literally comes alive and materialises
from the page. There are so many reviews I'm not going to go into plot other than to say we meet Charlie at the beginning
of his first year of high school and follow him through to the end of the year. A year where everything changes for Charlie
in both good and bad ways. This book will make you laugh, it'll make you cringe and it will make you cry, but most of all
it will just make you happy that you read it.

Sadie Walker is Stranded (Zombie Novel 2)
Sadie Walker is Stranded (Zombie Novel 2)
by Madeleine Roux

4.0 out of 5 stars A great bit of Zombie Lit, 16 Aug. 2012
I loved Alison Hewitt is Trapped - the only reason Sadie Walker is Stranded got 4 stars was because in my opinion it wasn't quite as good as the first book, but it was still excellent. We see the events of the Zombie Apocalypse from a different perspective this time. It has been several months since the initial outbreak and Sadie is in Seattle, looking after her newly orphaned nephew, in a city that is slowly trying to rebuild itself and the community. For reasons I won't go into, the zombies make it back into the city and Sadie, with the help of her friend Andrea, is forced to flee whilst looking for her nephew Shane, who has been kidnapped.

Sadie and a group of others make their escape by boat and ultimately end up on another island where their survival skills are truly put to the test. With little food or water or shelter, they are pushed to the limits but then stumble upon another group of survivors and that is when things get interesting. Then this book ceases to be just another zombie novel about people trying to survive - it becomes a bit of a murder mystery / romance / horror story too and I enjoyed the different pace of this book. Everything happening on an island with few inhabitants was different and I felt the author did a really good job of it.

There are plenty of twists and turns, who dunnits and action to keep you happy if not slightly less zombie action than I was expecting - in some parts it really did seem a bit too light on the zombie action and the zombies less terrifying than I'm used too, just a little too easy to put down maybe? Thats the only criticism I have.

Overall - a pretty damn good zombie book, a good follow up (it was nice to see some connection between the 2 books although you couldn't call this a sequel to the first book, more a companion novel) and a very enjoyable read. I do hope the author decides to write more from this series, after all I would really like to know what happens to Alison and Sadie, or to witness the zombie apocalypse from a new kick-ass girls perspective1

Fragile Eternity
Fragile Eternity
by Melissa Marr

3.0 out of 5 stars The weakest so far, 9 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Fragile Eternity (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the first 2 books in the wicked lovely series and was looking forward to Fragile Eternity, but I have been left somewhat disappointed. I've really struggled to get into the story and I think the reason is that every chapter is from a different characers viewpoint. I have read books like this before and not had a problem but with this particular book I feel it has made the story dis-jointed and it doesn't flow well. Just as it starts to get going we switch to a new characters perspective and it stalls the story. I did finish the book but it took quite a while! I already have books 4 and 5 and will read them eventually, but may have a bit of a break as this book has turned me off the series a little. Such a shame really as overall I have been enjoying the series and am a big fan of Melissa Marr.

The Living Dead Boy
The Living Dead Boy
by Rhiannon Frater

5.0 out of 5 stars Runs the gamut of emotions from love to terror - from joy to despair, 7 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Living Dead Boy (Paperback)
I'm having to try very hard not to gush about this book - but I'm struggling! Being a huge fan of Rhiannon's As the World Dies trilogy I couldn't wait to get my hands on "The Living Dead Boy and the Zombie Hunters" as quite frankly, if its about zombies and Rhiannon wrote it - I want to read it!! I really wasn't at all disappointed.

I was aware when I bought it that this was a zombie book for the younger reader, probably 12 years and upwards. As I still enjoy reading my favourite books from when I was a kid (I'm 28) I figured I'd be fine with the change in writing style and pace ect of a book aimed at a younger audience. I was right. This may be a "kids" zombie book but people die, kids die, their parents die and in gruesome ways. It is true that alot of the gore usually present in zombie books is not in this, that makes sense, but to me that is not necessarily the most important part of zombie fiction. What I love is reading about people, normal people who have been thrown into a zombie apocalypse and are now fighting to survive, fighting to reach their loved ones. I love reading about what people will do, what we are capable of and to get this from the perspective of a group of children was fresh and new. No adults to guide them, make the decisions, it was all down to Josh, a zombie fanatic and expert, to save his brother and his friends.

I loved Josh, he's such a wonderful character, and his group of friends were really fun too. His crush on Corina and their blossoming friendship was adorable and really fit well into the story. There were plenty of twists and turns, you really didn't know what was going to happen and the resourcefulness of this group of juvenile zombie hunters was really exciting to read about. I was hooked. It only took me a few hours to read in one sitting as I just couldn't put it down. Rhiannon writes suspense almost like no other author I have read, I was so on edge sometimes waiting to find out what would happen next and this is another very important factor in what makes good zombie fiction. I have to say when it comes to the genre Rhiannon Frater is my favourite author. I really hope she continues to write more zombie books, and will be in a hurry to pick up her futuristic zombie novel "The Last Bastion of the Living" as I'm sure this will also be excellent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11