Profile for S J Buck > Reviews

Content by S J Buck
Top Reviewer Ranking: 551

S J Buck (Kent, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Babadook [Blu-ray]
The Babadook [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Essie Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Australian psychological thriller, 23 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Babadook [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This was not quite the classic I had hoped for, which is probably as much down to the hype on the cover as anything. But it's damn good and repeated viewings may reveal more nuances that I could pick up on first viewing. In a number of ways it's actually closer thematically to a film like 'Repulsion' (though not as good) than say The Conjuring and films of that ilk. The acting from the two leads was superb and whilst I wasn't really scared at any point, it nevertheless kept me interested and intrigued as to what was going to happen right to the very end.

I look forward to watching it again.

Fawlty Towers - The Complete Collection (Remastered) [DVD] [1975]
Fawlty Towers - The Complete Collection (Remastered) [DVD] [1975]
Dvd ~ John Cleese

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best, 29 May 2016
In decade that contained some or all of Dads Army, Monty Python, Reginald Perrin, MASH, Steptoe and Son, The Two Ronnies, Morecambe and Wise and The Good Life, Fawlty Towers sent the bench mark for all comedy of any type on television. Since the 1970s there have been a few that have got close to FW (like BlackAdder) but for me it remains no. 1.

I'm not going to comment on the details of the show itself as everyone has done that already and everyone knows how good this is, throughout all 12 episodes. However it was a lovely surprise to listen to John Cleese's commentaries which are quite informative and surprisingly critical about how things could have been done better. But he does caveat this criticism with the fact that the show was basically recorded live in the studio.

Watching "Waldorf Salad" with the commentary on was interesting as when Cleese recorded the commentary in 2009 it was 30 years since he had seen the show. At one point during the episode he couldn't stop laughing, and had to apologise. Hearing people laugh of course is very funny in itself and I laughed more with Cleese during that sequence than for the actual show itself!

So it's brilliant, it's very very funny, and it has things to say about the British attitude to service (which John Cleese explains very well in some of the other extras), which are probably no longer quite as true as they were then.

Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Cat 48 x 100g - Pouches
Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Cat 48 x 100g - Pouches
Offered by Pet Drugs Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but did the trick for my cat, 28 May 2016
Initially this was prescribed for my (quite old) cat by my Vet, as it suffered terrible bought of diarrhea. It made an immediate difference and subsequently when I found I could buy it on Amazon I have kept my cat on a 50/50 mix of this and normal food. It is very expensive, but ever since he has been eating it everything has been solid!

Its worth mentioning that after a while my cat decided he didn't really like the food, so now I have to mash it up in a mix with the normal food to get him to eat it.

The Complete Bourne 4 Movie Collection [Blu-ray] [2002] [Region Free]
The Complete Bourne 4 Movie Collection [Blu-ray] [2002] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bourne on bluray, 28 May 2016
This is a great bluray set of the 4 films to date. A fifth with Matt Damon back is apparently being or has been made at the time of writing this review. I picked up my copy very cheap (about six pounds) through the marketplace, which made it an absolute steal.

The first movie is my favourite, which has some elements of a 60s spy movie, helped by having an original Mini in it no doubt. But regardless of that its a terrific film. I hadn't seen the most recent film until I bought this set, and was surprised how good it was. Set in the same time frame as the Bourne Ultimatum it tells a parallel story that if a little implausible is very entertaining.

The HD quality is good for all these films, and at the price you can get the set for its well worth upgrading your DVDs.

Cribbage Board - 3 player cribbage Set - Luxury
Cribbage Board - 3 player cribbage Set - Luxury
Offered by Jaques of London

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but let down by pegs., 27 May 2016
This is a very nice high quality cribbage board, that I'd have given 4.5 stars for if I could have. The board is made of a good quality wood and comes with a complete set of rules and pegs (for 3 players). And its this last point where the product loses 1/2 a star. The pegs are plastic and appear a bit cheap and nasty as compared to the board itself. Highly recommended nevertheless.

nhop
nhop

5.0 out of 5 stars High class Jazz, from 2 of the greats, 6 May 2016
This review is from: nhop (Audio CD)
Initially I was a little disappointed with this. Perhaps the sound wasn't as good as I expected, maybe my expectations were too high. Whatever the case after I'd played it a few times the genius of the two musicians shines through and I have no hesitation in highly recommending it.

Highpoints are many, and include a wonderful All Blues and I Can't Get Started. Its swings like hell in places! Its so sad that these two will never record again, and that as far as I know this is the only recording of them together, which makes it absolutely essential.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2016 9:28 AM BST

Conference De Presse Vol.2
Conference De Presse Vol.2

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 6 May 2016
The is a really unusual album in the Jazz cannon. A live recording of Piano and Hammond Organ duet. The late Michel Petrucciani is on Piano and Eddy Louiss is on Hammond. As the previous reviewer said this is a brilliant recording. From the first track its obvious this is a classic album. Both musicians are in sparkling form with Petrucianni in particular on fire.

The tracks on this album are originals:

Les Grelots, Amesha - Louiss

I wrote a song for you, Simply Bop - Petrucciani

Jean-Philippe Herbien - Louiss and Petrucciani

and Jazz standards:

All the things you are, So What, These Foolish Things.

As the previous reviewer said there was a double album (which I have) available "Conference de presse - L'Intergrale" and if you can find this you should get it because the 2nd disc is as good as this one. The catalog number for this is FDM 36576-2 on Dreyfuss Jazz.

This was the album that started me buying Petrucciani and its one of the very best. Don't forget Eddy Louiss though, it wouldn't be the classic it is without his contributions. I can't recommend this highly enough to all Jazz fans.

L.A. Is My Lady
L.A. Is My Lady

4.0 out of 5 stars Late Sinatra worth getting, 16 April 2016
This review is from: L.A. Is My Lady (Audio CD)
I bought this just over a week ago as it was available cheap, and wasn't really expecting much. In fact given that it was recorded in 1984, when Sinatra was approaching 70 years of age its far better than I expected, and I've played it half a dozen times already.

Sinatra's voice is in pretty good shape, and if it isn't quite as good as 20 or 30 years earlier he still has a magical delivery. The orchestra conducted by Quincy Jones is superb, with an array of talented session/Jazz musicians:
The Brecker Brothers, Lionel Hampton, George Benson (playing some lovely guitar), Ray Brown and so on.

Highlights, well there's plenty including a swinging After You've Gone and Mack the Knife. When I first played the album I wasn't very impressed with the title track, which starts in a sort of vaguely contemporary (for then) Jazz funk mode, but after a few listens this has grown on me, as indeed has the whole album.

So whilst this isn't Songs for Swinging Lovers, Only the lonely or Live at the Sands, its still Sinatra in the Winter of career delivering the goods one last time.

Safe House (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Safe House (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds
Offered by RightTrack Sales

4.0 out of 5 stars Not great, but pretty good, 16 April 2016
As another less complimentary review has said this is really a re-hashed Bourne movie. Even down to Brendan Gleeson playing a very similar role to Brian Cox in one of those films. However unlike that review I really like this film.

Holding it together is Denzil Washington, who adds something to any movie he's in, but Ryan Reynolds also gives a fine performance. The story isn't particularly original, but the action set pieces are well done and the fight scenes are especially brutal. Watching some of the extras on the bluray it was interesting to see the amount of effort that went into making the fight scenes realistic.

So whilst this is by no means a great movie, I've watched it a number of times and it does hold up to repeated viewings.

Back To Back
Back To Back

4.0 out of 5 stars High class, 16 April 2016
This review is from: Back To Back (Audio CD)
Some of this sounds a little dated now, but there is no question about the high quality musicianship on display. The disco boom was starting to influence music in the mid to late 70's and I think you can hear it on this recording a little bit. Some of the titles (If you wanna boogie..) also giveaway this influence as well.

However with David Sanborn, the Brecker brothers and a host of other great players this still hits the spot on occasions. After a couple of plays I'm really enjoying it. There are some interesting sleeve notes about the history of the band as well. And of course about the cover, which was a little controversial in its day.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20