Profile for S J Buck > Reviews

Content by S J Buck
Top Reviewer Ranking: 379

S J Buck (Kent, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mika Marimba Madness: Live in Concert 2009 [DVD] [2010] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb concert, 21 May 2015
This concert was recorded in Tamara City, Japan in 2009 and its utterly brilliant. These musicians are all high class: Peter Stolzman is on Piano, and is a very exciting player when he is given solo space. Eddie Gomez is on bass. He played with the great Jazz Pianist Bill Evans for 11 years, say no more. Steve Gadd is on drums, and contributes to the arrangements and material. Of course he has played with everyone! Leading the group, at least in terms of primary instrument, is Mika Yoshida playing Marimba. The combination of the four is a mixture of explosive, swinging, celebratory music at its very best. Is it jazz, you might be asking. Certainly in places there is improvisation, and they do play a few Jazz standards, so the answer is yes. The set list is below:
Jubilation
Rain Dance
Take the 'A' Train
The Duke
Mika Suite
Sambata
Caravan
Strength
Street Smart
Spain
Encore:- Girlfriends Medley

I bought the album on CD recently which was also recorded around the same time as this concert. I think the DVD is the better of the two. The choice of material is better and more interesting. Not that I dislike the CD I like it a lot.

A final word, the DVD is advertised as being region 1, which didn't concern me as I have a multi-region player. However it is playing on my standard play station 3, so I think its actually all regions.

Mikarimba!
Mikarimba!

5.0 out of 5 stars First class!!, 19 May 2015
This review is from: Mikarimba! (Audio CD)
Perhaps the best album I've bought this year. Featuring Mika Yoshida on Marimba, Anders Wihk on keyboards, Eddie Gomez on bass and Steve Gadd on drums, its a terrifically enjoyable set of tunes recording in late 2009 and early 2010.

A mixture of standards and originals, the set list is:
Take the A train
Glasgow Boogie
Strength (Gadd)
Tico Tico
Voulez Vous (Anderson/Ulvaeus)

You can see from the list above that its an eclectic set, and there isn't a duff track. I had to buy my copy from Japan as its quite difficult to get hold of without paying a lot. If you're in any doubt (and you shouldn't be with these musicians) check the videos of Mika and Steve Gadd on Youtube. Thats how I discovered it. An absolutely brilliant and quite unique Jazz album!

PS:- There is also a region 1 DVD as well.

70 Strong
70 Strong

4.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong, 16 May 2015
This review is from: 70 Strong (Audio CD)
A good album this, as you'd expect from a group of excellent like-minded musicians. As the title says this marked Steve Gadd's 70th year, and what better way to celebrate it. "Foam Home" the opening track immediately reminded me of Stuff. Here is a classic example of Steve Gadd seemingly playing a simple pattern, that is completely 'in the pocket'. Actually of course its not simple, and very few drummers have matched his ability to do this. Larry Goldings plays a variety of keyboards and Walt Fowler (who I hadn't heard of) is clearly a terrific Trumpet and Flugelhorn player. Michael Landau is on Guitar and Jimmy Johnson on bass.

The album is mainly laid back and pretty mellow, and my one criticism is that on first listen nothing grabs you by the scruff of the neck and shakes you up, but the CD only arrived through the letter box an hour ago and I've only played it once. So a few more listens I'm sure will reveal more subtleties than my first listen revealed, and maybe then it'll deserve 5 stars.

Fabulous Four - Featuring Hagler, Hearns, Leonard & Duran [1990] [DVD]
Fabulous Four - Featuring Hagler, Hearns, Leonard & Duran [1990] [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Fabulous Four

5.0 out of 5 stars The last golden era of boxing, 4 May 2015
A wonderful DVD featuring highlights of the many great fights between these four great boxers. It includes the complete Hagler vs Hearns fight (3 rounds), which must be considered one of the greatest boxing matches in history. Its a shame the complete fights aren't available, but this is the next best thing. The DVD has no extras and lasts 84 minutes.

Inside Llewyn Davis [DVD] [2014]
Inside Llewyn Davis [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Oscar Isaac

4.0 out of 5 stars May annoy some, but you may love it., 7 April 2015
Well this is an oddball movie, but its the Coen Brothers so what do you expect! I enjoyed it, but I could understand why it might not be everyone's cup of tea. The story follows Llewyn Davis as he tries to break into the big time on the folk circuit. Oscar Isaac plays the part brilliantly and did all his own singing, and did it very well. Sadly for Llewyn nothing is really happening for him. During what is a road movie of sorts we get to meet quite a few quirky characters in typical Coen Brothers style, including Justin Timberlake, and John Goodman as a Jazz musician. The music is well performed by the cast.

There is an interesting parallel with Martin Scorcese's "After Hours" which is similar thematically in some ways. If you liked that film and you like folk music you'll probably love this film.

Engraved 1oz Shot Glass & Absolut Vodka Blue in Silk Gift Box For 18th/21st/30th/40th/50th Birthday/Bridesmaid/Best Man/Usher/Wedding Gift
Offered by Cr8AGift

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality for the money, 7 April 2015
I bought this as a birthday present for my sister, who likes a drop of Vodka. The engraving was reasonably well done and the packaging was as nice as the photos indicate. No quibbles for the money I paid and given a suitable recipient I'd buy this again. The Vodka was good!

The Sting [Blu-ray] [1973]
The Sting [Blu-ray] [1973]
Dvd ~ Paul Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars A near perfect movie, 7 April 2015
This is a near-perfect movie, which remains one of my all-time favourites. First and foremost it has some terrific acting performances notably from Paul Newman and Robert Shaw, both of whom are in scene stealing form. The poker game on the train is the undoubted highlight for me. Newman's pretend drunk is one of the best I've ever seen and Robert Shaw's unspoken fury is brilliant. Thanks to the script, the film, which is over over two hours long doesn't have a wasted frame.

The bluray is good and for a 40+ year old film it looks as good as I've ever seen it. There were a few places where I thought they maybe could have made a bit more effort, but overall its well worth having over the DVD. Extras are not exceptional, there are some interesting interviews, but the main reason to buy this is the film itself.

The Thick Of It: The Complete Series 1-3 & Specials [DVD]
The Thick Of It: The Complete Series 1-3 & Specials [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Addison

5.0 out of 5 stars Swearing - tick, very funny - tick, buy this - tick!, 5 April 2015
The Thick Of It continues the tradition of great BBC comedy that pushes the boundaries of what is acceptable. As a portrayal of the workings of Government it may or may not be that accurate. Based on the interviews (with MPs) in the extras to this set it appears, that as you would expect, it is an exaggerated form of what really happens the day to day running of a Government department.

But in all honesty I don't really care whether its especially accurate or not, because it is very funny, mainly very well written and superbly acted by the entire cast. Sadly Chris Langham's minister only appears in series 1 & 2, but his replacement Rebecca Front is equally good in series 3.

Of course Peter Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker is the headline grabbing actor in the show, and rightly so. His performance is brilliant, and as vitriolic and nasty as he can be, there is something engaging and likeable (strange as that may seem) about his character.

I don't think this show quite reaches the dizzy of heights of Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister, but it gets very close on occasions, and I for one will be watching the DVDs many times.

Zoot Sims Quartet in Paris (plus 3 bonus tracks)
Zoot Sims Quartet in Paris (plus 3 bonus tracks)

4.0 out of 5 stars Zoot Tenor!, 4 April 2015
The first CD of Zoot Sims I've got in my collection, and it has to be said long overdue. A terrifically melodic and easy to listen to (without being easy listening) Tenor Sax player, backed for the most part by a French Trio. My reason for only giving 4 stars is the French Pianist, who is fine as a accompanist, but his solos I find rather weak and at times cliched. But Zoot Sims is in great form gliding through solos with effortless invention. On ballads he sounds a bit like Ben Webster sometimes, but he his just as capable of the odd distorted squeak to keep you interested. Although this advertised as being live, reading the sleeve notes it seems there is actually a good chance it was recorded in the studio.

The last four tracks feature the great Bud Powell and Kenny Clarke. Powell was past his best by this time but gives a good performance here. These additional tracks add some historical interest to the original album. I have played this half a dozen times since I purchased it and I'm certainly going to add to my Zoot Sims collection now.

Burgmuller: 25 Progressive Pieces Op. 200 (with CD) (Alfred Masterwork Edition: CD Edition)
by Johann Burgmuller

5.0 out of 5 stars Back in the 1960s...., 4 April 2015
As a child back in the late 60s I was lucky enough to be given Piano lessons by my parents and at my first lesson my teacher played me "Ballad" from this collection. Curiously enough she never played it as ballad as I understand it and I never have either. Anyway I had a copy of this which has slowly fallen apart over the years so I decided to replace it, even though I have moved on and can sight read most of these now. But its a bit like me owning all the Thunderbirds DVDs!

This is a nicely produced version, and to get the CD with the pieces being played properly, is a benefit to anybody taking up the Piano. The book isn't for complete beginners, but you could certainly progress to it after a relatively short time. The pieces are around the grade 4 level and vary in style and speed. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20