Profile for YesChef > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Salter Stainless Steel Platform Electronic Kitchen Scale - Silver
Salter Stainless Steel Platform Electronic Kitchen Scale - Silver

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for a while - then ON-OFF button breaks, 17 Aug. 2016
Good scales - until the ON-OFF-ZERO button began playing up and then failed after a few years. So expect to replace the scales every few years, or buy something else instead...

NOTE: Nearly all the good reviews are from people who've either only had the scales a few weeks, or are not Verified Purchasers. Nearly all the bad reviews are from people who've had the scales for a while and then they've broken - usually the on/off/zero button. Clearly, these things are not built to last and regularly fail after a few years. If that's not acceptable to you, then buy something better made.

Qualtex Pre and Post Motor Filter Kit
Qualtex Pre and Post Motor Filter Kit
Offered by First4Spares

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 27 Feb. 2016
Good price; fast delivery; seems to do a good job. I first bought this set 1 year ago, and have just replaced it 1 year on as recommended, which at this price you can easily afford to in order to keep the Dyson on top form.

Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Bit More, 4 Slice Toaster, 1800 Watt
Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Bit More, 4 Slice Toaster, 1800 Watt

3.0 out of 5 stars Novel design; major quality control flaws., 23 Feb. 2016
This appears to be a well designed toaster that unfortunately doesn't work properly. As another reviewer stated, on the frozen setting it intermittently (but regularly) pops up after a very short period, completely untoasted. There's no point in having useful novel features if you cannot get the basics right. There's obviously some quality control issues with this product as half of the reviews are flagging similar problems. Which is a shame, because when it works it toasts really well - and the Quick Look feature is so simple but useful that I'm amazed all toasters don't have it - but it needs to work well 100% of the time not just sometimes. If it worked properly all the time it would be a 4/5 star product.
=============================================
I'm exchanging this so shall see if the next one is any better...
=============================================
I've now received my replacement and unfortunately it seems worse than the first one! Setting the browning control to full(5):
- on the 1st use it popped up after 10 seconds (all indicator lights still lit!);
- on the 2nd use it popped after 40 seconds (indicator lights just under 5);
- 3rd try, popped after 1min 40 seconds, indicator lights just over 3);
- only after the 5th use did it manage to count all the way down to the last indicator, taking just over 4 minutes, before correctly popping.

Just in case the toaster needs some running in, I'll give it a go for a week. And I'll try the frozen & crumpet settings that caused the last one to regularly pop up early. But if it doesn't behave flawlessly it's going straight back - and this time for a refund. My last toaster NEVER popped up early like this, and nor has any other toaster I've owned. Manufacturing a toaster is hardly rocket science.

Looking around the internet, this specific model has dreadful reviews, with many people all describing the same problems, suggesting a permanent quality control issue. Perhaps I should have listened to them.
Choosing browning level 4, Crumpet & Frozen settings, this is what happens:
- 1st attempt, it popped after 53 seconds; the indicator light hardly moved, and crumpets totally untoasted;
- 2nd attempt, it popped after 1 min 40 seconds, indicator light around 3, crumpets untoasted;
- only at the 3rd attempt did it manage to count all the way down through the indicator lights, as it's meant to, taking 4 min 38 seconds.

Based on all the evidence so far, this toaster has no consistency and so is useless.

Bearing in mind this is the 2nd faulty one I've had in a week, and is arguably even worse than the 1st one, I'd be interested to hear what Sage customer service staff have to say about this.
=============================================
Not one to give up easily I bought another one of these from a different retailer (not Amazon), and it seems I've finally found one that works reliably almost all the time. Hurray. So I decided to amend this review again.
This should be a 5 star toaster, but is only 1 star if you happen to have an unreliable one (and I had two of them...). But 3rd time lucky for me, so I'm upgrading my review to 3 stars, being halfway between the 5 stars it would have if I'd not had to return 2 of them first, and the 1 star those unreliable ones deserved.
In summary: if you get lucky and find a reliable one, this toaster is excellent and toasts better than any other toaster I've used; but my experience was that the chances are you'll get an unreliable one or two first, so be prepared for a load of hassle trying to get your hands on a decent one. Hence 3 stars. Fix the quality control and it'd be 5 stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2016 11:54 AM GMT

Arendo - 3000 W Turbo kettle - stainless steel (3000 Watt) including four selectable temperature levels | integrated anti-scale filter | 1.7 L | 3000 Watt quick-cooking function | automatic shutdown | One-touch closing | 360 ° base station
Offered by CSL-Computer

2.0 out of 5 stars Initially great but soon developed show-stopping faults; exchanged it for another., 14 Feb. 2016
Positives:
- Great functionality & performance;
- Neat styling;
- Gimmick-free (unlike competing products...);
- Generous cord-length (unlike competing products...);
- Excellent price.

Negatives:
- None. [BUT SEE EDIT BELOW!]

Companies who design and price products like this should thrive, because consumers will buy them in droves. Competitors take note.
===============================================
UPDATE 3 1/2 months after purchase:
1. The kettle developed a faulty thermostat, which meant that when you selected the 100degrees button the kettle would only heat to 70degrees instead of boiling. To get it to boil I would have to press 100degrees multiple times, and it would *eventually* boil.
2. Also, like many other people's, the lid stopped opening.

SUMMARY: on the face of it this is a really good product, but quality control issues seem to be a big problem. Sadly, I'm returning mine for a refund and will have to decide whether to try another one or buy something else instead. Downgraded to 2 stars because of the quality control issues. Without the faults it'd be a 5 star product.
===============================================
After returning my first (faulty) kettle, I've bought a second one; let's see if this ones fares better.

Philips S5320/06 Series 5000 Electric Shaver with Smart Click Precision Trimmer and Turbo Function

2.0 out of 5 stars SLOW SHAVE & GIMMICKY: AVOID, 14 Dec. 2015
I bought this Series 5000 shaver to replace my previous Philips HQ8260 after its demise. The HQ8260 did a good job, shaving closely and quickly, but has now been discontinued. Amazon suggested this S5320/06 as a comparable replacement (similarly priced), which I made the mistake of believing...

FLAWS:

SLOW SHAVE
===========
Shaving with the Series 5000 takes 2-3 times as long as it did with my old HQ8260 shaver. This is because each of the Series 5000 shaving heads contains only a single cutting blade, whereas my old shaver used TripleTrack HQ9 shaving heads that each contain 3 concentric cutting blades. This means that the actual cutting area of the Series 5000 is tiny compared to the cutting area of my old shaver. In practice, that means I have to move the shaving head over the same area of the face or neck again and again, which makes for a very slow shave.

Before buying the Series 5000 shaver I looked at the images on the Amazon product page, and thought each head contained multiple concentric blades (like my old shaver), but I now realise that Philips have designed it to look this way even though in reality there is only a single blade per head. Deceptive design. If you look carefully at the images you'll see what I mean, and realise that as a result the cutting area of each head is actually quite small. This translates into slow shaves.

GIMMICKY
=========
(1) This shaver has a "Turbo" button that speeds up the motor. In practice, you want the shaver motor to run at its fastest all the time, so this button just means you have an extra button to press each time you shave. Philips have charged you for an unnecessary gimmick, never mind insulting your intelligence by labelling it "Turbo", as if, as a bloke, you can only understand terminology linked to engines.

(2) Instead of the trimmer popping-up from the shaver body, it's a separate item. To use it you have to detach the shaving head and then attach the trimmer. And then when finished detach the trimmer and reattach the shaver head. This is time consuming and, with the trimmer being separate, runs the likelihood that the trimmer will just get lost eventually. Also, this repeated detaching and attaching feels like it will eventually wear out the connector where these attachments attach to the shaver's body.

It looks like both the Turbo and detachable trimmer were gimmicks dreamt up by Philips' marketing department, not by their engineers. The shaver would be better and a lot less expensive without them.

SUMMARY
========
This shaver is a good example of "form over function". You can get a close shave, but it takes ages to achieve it, easily twice as long as my last Philips shaver. The gimmicky features add nothing useful to the consumer, but help bump the price up for Philps.

AVOID THIS OR SIMILARLY DESIGNED PHILIPS SHAVERS.

Mine is only a few weeks old but I'll be replacing it with a Panasonic 5 blader. Fool me once...

Spirit Of Eden
Spirit Of Eden
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 7 April 2015
This review is from: Spirit Of Eden (Audio CD)
Total & utter masterpiece of an album.

Reon GU10 5 Watt 6500 K Led Bulb, Day Light
Reon GU10 5 Watt 6500 K Led Bulb, Day Light

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain at £4.61, but will it last?, 19 Aug. 2013
Like many LED lamps on Amazon, the price for this seems to swing around enormously. I paid £4.61, which seems great value. These were bought to replace a previous Kosnic daylight (6500K colour temp) LED which failed after 12-18 months. Reon is a Kosnic brand, so I can only hope these last way longer...

The LED chip and lense cover is quite different to the previous Kosnic lamp, and the very wide beam angle is great. Just the ticket to brighten a dark corner during daytime to simulate daylight (not the sort of colour you want during the evening/nighttime unless you wanrt your bodyclock rewiring for night work.), and way cheaper than installing a light-well!

Let's see how long they last.

The North Borders
The North Borders

4.0 out of 5 stars Genius, but only Human, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The North Borders (Audio CD)
To my mind, Si Green has assembled for himself an almost flawless discography, with me highly rating pretty much every single song he's created. Considering his fairly prolific output, that's a feat unmatched by any other artist in my collection - to my ears at least. Thus he stands on a pedestal, in a loved but perhaps precarious place.

With Black Sands the logical epitome of the sound he'd created, what came next was always going to have to follow a slightly different route, else always play second fiddle. The North Borders sensibly does mark a modest departure from the prior formula, largely via the use of differing rhythms. At the same time, it also also marks a return to the more sequenced structure of earlier work, in contrast to Black Sands' more organic feel.

Does it work? Up to a point. Technically, it's flawlessly assembled, but it's proving lighter on the emotional melodic hooks that earlier work always snared me with, and it was that ability to never fail to deliver that had Si Green up on my musical pedestal. The fella's only human, and to my ears, this album represents the first slight misstep. That's not to say there is not some very high quality here, but where present it's diluted by a (shock! horror!) skippable track or two (naming no names, Erykah & Cornelia...), and thus the collection is not quite the accustomed vintage of yore.

There's a possibility that my review here may be a little hasty. A couple of instantly-liked tracks aside, Black Sands took quite a while to grow on me, before eventually realising it was one of the best* albums in my vast eclectic collection. Off the back of that, how could any new Bonobo album realistically measure up, initially at least? So if I do change my mind, and I assign The North Borders to greater much melodic heights, I'll be sure to return and 'fess up.

I'm fascinated to hear what Si Green creates next. I'm tremendously optimistic he won't do "a Zero 7" on me, and in the words of Keegan "I would love it, love it" if he returned at an ever higher level than that reached previously, somehow managing to surpass the heavenly heights of Black Sands. Regardless, and in the meantime, I must thank Mr Green for bringing to me over the years some of the most wonderful tunes ever laid down.

Speaking of which, Cirrus, Sapphire & Ten Tigers, what new joys.

*The Best Album? The Chameleons' Script Of The Bridge of course.

ACCTIM CK5510NP DUAL KITCHEN TIMER WHITE
ACCTIM CK5510NP DUAL KITCHEN TIMER WHITE

5.0 out of 5 stars Unable to control your own thumbs? Move along, nothing to see here..., 24 April 2012
I'm bemused by the numerous reviews of people who seem unable to reset this timer - have they not mastered basic control of their own thumbs?!

This timer is identical (bar colour & branding) to one I bought from Lakeland several years back. The Hour display on that has lost some of its LCD segments - still usable (the other Minute timer is unaffected) but not ideal - so I looked for another one and bought this. That fault means this new one may only last me a few years, but at 8 quid delivered I can live with that.

Positives:
- 2 timers in one. An Hour & Minute timer and a Minute & Second timer; great for keeping track of different timings simultaneously.

- Loud timers and clear displays

- Simple and easy controls (the mind boggles at all those people unable to do a reset by pressing two adjacent buttons with their thumb...)

Negatives: for £8 delivered? None.

Summary: most useful/usable kitchen timer I've had, so now I have two (or one and a half, anyway). Gets used every day. Does the job.

NB. Item says it comes with a battery; mine didn't, but the seller credited me with the cost of a battery after I notified them.

InnerSpeaker
InnerSpeaker

3.0 out of 5 stars Massively Disappointing..., 16 Sept. 2010
This review is from: InnerSpeaker (Audio CD)
After the sonic masterpiece of late 2008's psychedelic Tame Impala EP, which blended the best of Cream, Hendrix, and early Verve into a thing of contemporary-retro beauty, and on hearing radio play of "Solitude is Bliss", I had sky-high hopes for Innerspeaker, going so far as to pre-order it, something I've never before done for any album in my life.

Sadly, the first listen of Innerspeaker brought those high hopes crashing down to earth. The album's sole high point is the aforementioned and sublime "Solitude is Bliss". But beyond that there is little of note. Even the album version of "Desire Be Desire Go" has been subdued and had its EP vibrancy EQ'd out of it. Of other tracks, "It Isn't Meant to Be" is the highlight. Of the rest, it's a largely hook- and melody-free, self-indulgent parade of indistinction which the low-fi production cannot hide.

A tragic missed opportunity.

Page: 1 | 2