Profile for cookie888 > Reviews

cookie888 "cookie888" (UK)

THE HAPPY MONDAYS PARTY / G-MEX 25.3.90
THE HAPPY MONDAYS PARTY / G-MEX 25.3.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic live set, 30 Jun. 2010
I have this on a VHS recorded off (I think) Channel 4 about 19 years ago. I no longer have a VHS player, so I might as well use the tape to stop my old Mini rolling out of the garage.

WHY CAN'T I GET THIS AWESOME PIECE OF HISTORY ON DVD?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2011 2:42 PM GMT

Solaris [2003] [DVD]
Solaris [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Beatiful and thought provoking, 17 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Solaris [2003] [DVD] (DVD)
I just can't get enough of this film.
I am a fan of the Tarkovsky version, though I haven't read the book yet.
I am grateful that Soderbergh made this movie, and Clooney stars, as I knew before seeing it that they would be respectful of the original.

This is a beatiful, elegant, understated, thought provoking film, and the score is also fantastic, but as mentioned in other reviews is not an action-packed sci-fi flick.

I empathise with Clooneys character all the way through this movie, once again another understated, yet powerful performance

At £3.97 I don't think you can go wrong if fancy something a little more cerebral.
If you liked the truly awful I, Robot or Independence Day then forget it

The End of Eternity (Panther Science Fiction)
The End of Eternity (Panther Science Fiction)
by Isaac Asimov

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless novel about time travel, 11 Aug. 2003
A big fan of Asimov, I have only just caught up with this book. The one thing that will stay with me is that it was published in 1955 and I read it in 2003 and it still reads well. OK, it's a bit naive in places, with the ultimate fate of mankind being "atomic" war, but that is just it's age showing through. A cracking, if a little short story, and it's readability at nearly 50 is a testament to the author. We miss you, but we haven't forgotten you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2012 1:36 AM GMT