Profile for DaisyD > Reviews

Content by DaisyD

DaisyD

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version)
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Full Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this to upgrade from Windows XP - a great purchase!, 6 May 2014
I've steered clear of Windows 8 since it was launched as, after using it a couple of times, I simply hated it! It was so alien to any version of Windows I'd used before - and I'm an IT technician!! But with the retirement of XP, I had 2 choices for my home PC. Bin it & buy a new laptop, or check the hardware specs & upgrade to the new Windows 8.1. After downloading Microsoft's Windows 8 Compatibility Checker from their website & finding my PC had plenty of RAM, HDD space, etc, I decided to pay the £85 for Windows 8.1.

This full version came with both the 32-bit and 64-bit installation disks. I opted for the 32-bit version. It was only after unpacking the disks that I found these couldn't be used to upgrade from XP (preserving programs, settings, etc) but could be used to perform a clean installation. This was fine for me as I don't run many programs on my home PC and my data is stored on a separate partition.

So I started the installation. It was an absolute piece of cake and after an hour or so my new Windows 8.1 PC was up & running! And boy, does it sprint!!! It's so much faster than my old XP operating system. And with a few clicks on my existing data folders, everything was integrated nicely into the new OS. I particularly like the Facebook and weather apps that are in-built.

Although the 'Start' button doesn't exist as before, we now have something similar and it's again possible to shut down the PC with 2 clicks, rather than having to create a desktop shortcut or wade through menus (all massive improvement over the original Windows 8)

All in all, a great purchase and thoroughly recommended!

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, 23 Feb. 2013
I don't know why I haven't bought one before! This has re"kindled" my like for reading. Having gone years without picking up a book, I have now rediscovered this hobby. The Kindle makes things so much easier in its use & portability. The basic £69 is fine & serves its purpose excellently.

Wait For Me (Against All Odds Book 1)
Wait For Me (Against All Odds Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb read!, 23 Feb. 2013
I have only recently taken up reading again, having spent years not picking up a book. I have now purchased a Kindle and after reading a couple of books recommended by friends, decided to have a look at something recommended in the Kindle store. I came across this title which had already received excellent reviews and was on sale at 99p! So I decided to give it a try. I can honestly say that i was sucked in to the plot straight away and, although it sounds cliche'd, could not put it down!! This was an excellent read and I would thoroughly recommend it!

LG 47LD450 47-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview
LG 47LD450 47-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality at a great price!!, 18 Jun. 2011
I've been looking around for a new flatscreen telly since moving house. My attention was drawn to this LG model by a recent Comet ad on tv. I checked out a few review sites & found that this tv was very highly rated for the price. My browsing eventually led me to Amazon where I found the same TV for £30 less + free delivery!! Well, the order process was simple & the tv was delivered within 2 days - far quicker than expected!! It was simple to set up & I was able to lift it on my own onto my new corner unit. I have my tv connected to BT Vision. The sound and picture quality is excellent. It looks extremely sleek & stylish and overall I am incredibly pleased at being able to purchase a 47" LCD TV for less than £10 per inch!! There are 2 small disadvantages with this set, in that it only has one scart socket and there is no physical on/off switch. However, both of these points can be easily overcome, so overall I would thoroughly recommend this product.