Profile for S. Henley > Reviews

Content by S. Henley

S. Henley (Matlock, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Speedlink Snappy Wireless Mouse - Black (Bluetooth)
Speedlink Snappy Wireless Mouse - Black (Bluetooth)

5.0 out of 5 stars Early days yet, but no startup problems, 17 Sept. 2013
Opened the shrink-wrap (a bit tough to get into this one), took out mouse, put battery in (big plus that it comes with its own battery included - unusual these days), and it worked. Paired with HP Envy2 convertible immediately, worked without a problem. I'm happy. It does the job, it looks good and works well - we shall see after a few months of travel, but so far, so good!

Norton Internet Security 21.0 - 3 Computer, 1 Year Subscription [2014 Edition] [Download]

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 17 Sept. 2013
Third year with Norton Security after switching from Kaspersky. Happy with its unobtrusive protection of our computers. Not happy with Symantec's own price, but with Amazon and PCWorld both offering similar discounted prices why would anyone buy direct?

Seagate STBV2000200 2 TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black
Seagate STBV2000200 2 TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black
Offered by Entrepôt électronique!

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job., 17 Sept. 2013
Seems reliable so far, but it's quite a heavy brick! I have other external hard drives, and each successive one that I have bought is slimmer and lighter than the last, while offering more storage. This one goes back to the 1990s as far as its weight and bulk are concerned. But then I suppose it does pack 2Tb. I had thought it might be an occasional substitute for my light and stylish Verbatim 1Tb when I'm travelling, but sadly no - it's going to stay firmly on the desktop. Too early to say anything much about its performance, except that it connected without problem, and I've transferred my entire photo library to it. Main purpose is archival storage, and it seems to do this OK. What more can I say? It does just what it says on the tin!

Hama Tripod Bag - Black
Hama Tripod Bag - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job., 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Hama Tripod Bag - Black (Camera)
It takes the tripod (Hama Star 42) with plenty of space also for a Fuji F100 camera (compact) in its case, though it's a bit tight for the bigger Fuji HS20 model (bridge camera) - would fit without its case, but then not enough portection for the camera. A centimetre or two extra room would have been nice - but then I wasn't expecting to be able to fit either camera in the bag. Shoulder carrying strap is a useful extra.

TRIXES 4 PORT USB MULTI HUB EXPANSION SPLITTER BLACK
TRIXES 4 PORT USB MULTI HUB EXPANSION SPLITTER BLACK
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as described., 15 Jan. 2013
Works as described. Who needs more than that? Drives a printer and a scanner at the far end of a 10-metre USB extension cable

TRIXES 10m USB Active Repeater Extension Cable USB2.0
TRIXES 10m USB Active Repeater Extension Cable USB2.0
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 15 Jan. 2013
Reorganising the office, needed to put the printer and scanner on the other side of the room from the computer. Enough cable here to go around the wall rather than stretching across the middle. Works fine, with USB splitter.

Black Flip Wallet Leather CASE COVER FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY i9100 S2 + Free Screen Protector, Cloth and stylus Pen
Offered by 32ndShop

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but ...., 15 Jan. 2013
... the case cracked after a few days. Still usable but not as good as the one it replaced. So, OK, but.

Garmin Nuvi 1340 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps
Garmin Nuvi 1340 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - mostly, 14 July 2012
We bought this shortly before a trip to the Auvergne region of France. Found it easy to learn to use, but more difficult to put in our route preferences. We downloaded the Garmin 'BaseCamp' software which comes free with it, and quite happily used that to put in detailed routes - and then found that we couldn't actually use them as the 1340 model doesn't support the right file type. Workaround - specify "via points" that would force it to follow something like the route we wanted. It's a bit messy and time-consuming but seems to work OK. One or two problems. When asking it to avoid toll roads, it doesn't take the most obvious alternative route. No trouble with that, this time, as we were on holiday and not tied to a timetable - and it sent us down D-roads (many of which would be unclassified roads in the UK) and through quaint off-the-beaten-track villages which we wouldn't otherwise have seen. However, I strongly recommend using it in conjunction with a good road atlas so that you don't feel totally lost! the main purpose of our trip was attending a wedding, and we found that in places the sat-nav was unhelpful or plain wrong. Instructions to follow a particular road (through Le Puy-en-Velay) ignored the existence of some junctions and roundabouts where we really needed assistance. We only knew we had taken a wrong turning when it told us "Recalculating". And once or twice it sent us round in circles. This is not because of an out-of-date map: we downloaded the latest Western Europe map before travelling, and the actual road layout had clearly not changed in several years. In many places it gave the wrong exit number on roundabouts - you need to be alert to the actual road number (when it gives it, which is not always), and looking for road names - in France at least - is usually a waste of time. We didn't use any of the 'eco' features as our Honda Hybrid car's computer does everything we need to monitor fuel efficiency.

So the basic question is - was it worth having? This is the first sat-nav that I have had, but I dont think it will be the last. It doesn't replace either (a) common sense or (b) a good road map. In a few places where it was clearly giving wrong instructions I followed my own judgement and my wife checked on the map - and mostly the sat-nav "recalculated" and put us on the route we wanted. In one place we just gave up on it, but this was exceptional. We were on our way back to calais through Rouen. We wanted to bypass Abbeville on to the non-toll road, and the sat nav (and our road map) agreed on the roads we needed. But they were closed, and our only option was diametrically opposite, into the centre of town. The "detour" option gave us an alternative route but that also was closed - the Tour de France was in town and it seemed most main roads in and around Abbeville were closed. It was only thanks to a helpful French policewoman that we found a way out (albeit on to the toll road we had wanted to avoid).

Answer - an interesting experience using sat-nav for the first time. Its capabilities were both more and less than I had expected. As a driver with 48 years experience I was wary of giving this little screen too much attention, yet you need to look at the little map to check what its instructions really mean. This came home to me most seriously in Lyon where we took a wrong turning on the complicated motorway system because I was watching the road and the traffic rather than the sat-nav. But better a few extra kilometres than a pileup, and not sure we'd have done any better using just a map. The French road-numbering system is very confusing!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2012 5:55 PM BST

Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR Digital Camera - (16MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD
Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR Digital Camera - (16MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, 25 Nov. 2011
I've only just started exploring the potential of this amazing camera. So far, it has done everything that I have expected of it, and more. Previously I used point-and-shoot cameras for many years, though in 1960s student days had a manual camera with all the controls one would expect. This one takes me back to those days, and i am very impressed by the quality of photos that I get from even mundane subjects. Last week I took the camera out, on a rather foggy day, to get some landscape photos for a website that I have been managing for an educational charity. The old point-and-shoot (Fujifilm F100fd) would have been perfectly adequate for the job, but I wanted to try the new one, and the difference was stunning. Not vastly more megapixels, but the difference in image quality was something I simply didn't expect. Phenomenal! I tried out the panorama function and was amazed by the result, having previously produced panoramas manually on the computer by using photo-stitching software.

As I said, still early days, but I'm really looking forward to trying it out on macro photography (as a geologist, I often need to get good photos of rock and mineral samples) and on underground photography in mines - however I have been warned that for that I would also need to use a separate flashgun for best results, not the built-in flash on the camera. Still, it has a shoe precisely for that purpose, so that will be the next thing on my shopping list. The zoom is something else I need to get used to. Although there is built-in image stabilisation software, one or two attempts have shown me that it will also be necessary to use a tripod for good results on maximum zoom. Have already dusted off the old tripod and expect to take that with me on future trips.

Fujifilm FinePix HS10/HS20 Premium Case
Fujifilm FinePix HS10/HS20 Premium Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right for what I need, 14 Nov. 2011
Some reviews have said it's real leather, others have said it's plastic. Well this one certainly smells and feels like leather - on the outside - but some of the inner pieces seem more like plastic. Nonetheless it's the right size for the HS20 EXR, and it has a convenient zipped front pocket that will take my F100fd. There's a webbing compartment (see uploaded photo) in the top that should hold a filter. Although I'm still a little dubious about its provenance (the label on the front says 'FINEPIX' not 'Fujifilm' - but at least it isn't misspelled or upside down! - see uploaded image), I'm quite happy with it. Excellent value for money, by comparison with the expensive alternatives I've seen in one or two of the major retail chains. I suspect these bags are made in various different factories across China, so quality control might be an issue, but the one I bought certainly seems well made.
Comment Comment | Permalink