Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Faithfull Power Plus CR15MER 13A / 240V 15m 4-Socket Easy Reel Cable Reel
Faithfull Power Plus CR15MER 13A / 240V 15m 4-Socket Easy Reel Cable Reel

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as intended, 5 Dec. 2012
Seems to be well constructed.
The casing is reasonably thick and survived a drop from 1 metre with no problems.

First4Spares Eco Friendly Stove Fan For Wood, Coal Burning Gas Stoves
First4Spares Eco Friendly Stove Fan For Wood, Coal Burning Gas Stoves
Offered by First4Spares

3.0 out of 5 stars Slight air flow, 26 Oct. 2012
I must admit I had expected this fan to push more air out.
When my stove reached 200 degrees celsius I could only just about feel air flow at the front of the fan.
Having said that, it definitely does reduce hotspots in the room and pushes a little more of the heat around.

(Discontinued by Manufacturer)
(Discontinued by Manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Recorded video cannot be ported to other devices and very poor PVR, 30 Sept. 2012
I've had this TV for over 2 years and decided the picture from the internal freeview tuner is decidedly wishy/washy (especially with SD pictures). So I now use a freesat box and get a much better (sharper with better colours) picture.

Stupid TV doesn't always remember that I've set it to external input once waking up after being on standby. Really annoying as I nearly always watch from my satellite box. Doubly annoying as sometimes it takes a minute for the TV to switch to a different input after switching on.

I have tried to connect up a USB hard drive, but found this TV does not recognize it. I contacted Sony who have suggested that USB hard drives which have their own power supply are not supported. So you must buy a USB drive which is powered only from the USB cable. Also it should be noted that the TV formats your hard drive in such a way that it cannot be read by Windows. Also the video files appear protected/encrypted and non transportable. I was able to see the hard drive under linux, but the video files appear to be in a non standard format that is not supported by any video player that I know of. So if you wanted to record from the TV and then watch the video on your laptop or port your videos to another drive then this is not possible. Because of this ridiculous level of copy protection and no time-shift facility the TV loses two stars!

The fast forward function when skipping through recorded films/programmes is really very poor. Only one or 2 frames are shown for something like 30 seconds of video. This makes it very hard to skip adverts or to quickly locate a point in the film. Also you can't delete or cancel recordings whilst a recording is in progress. I'm really very disappointed about the PVR on this TV. Would have expected something better considering the amount paid for the TV.

Most of the time the TV is non-responsive during the first 30-60 seconds after switching on the TV. I've checked the batteries on the remote and they are fine. I see the TV LED flash which acknowledges the remote, but the TV refuses to change channels very soon after switching on. This is very annoying and I need to check another TV in order to determine if this is a real fault or not on my TV.

I tried the DLNA. I installed homestream application onto my high performance laptop from the sony website. Then I was able to tell homestream to share a folder on my laptop with the TV.
Then on the TV I was able to see this folder from the media->photos/photos/music->homestreeam->folders menu. One negative was that the stream rate wasn't high enough to play high definition 1080i videos. The video was stop-start and I'm not sure if this was a bandwidth problem or a problem with the wireless connection. I found the starting up of the homestream software is unreliable within Windows 7 (64 bit). I was unable to get the software running the second time after I had run it once. I reinstalled the software and had the same problem. First time the software works fine. The next time I use it the software was unable to communicate with the TV (or vice versa).

The TV easily copes with fast moving action. I watched 'Quantom of Solace' the other day in HD and this TV had no problems with the fast action scenes.
The audio quality is more than acceptable and is just as good as my old TV (LG5700). I have no idea why other reviewers say it is poor because it certainly is NOT poor. If they want a sound bar then they should go and get one.

I used to watch all my TV through the PS3 playtv and I can say the SD pictures are almost as good. So clearly there is some good up-scaling hardware in this TV. The SD is almost as good as HD in some broadcasts. Sometimes I put the TV on BBC1 and the quality is almost as good as BBC1-HD.

I tried a 3D movie and it works very well. I thought initially there was a problem with the TV's 3D,but I found that I had to go through the video setup on the PS3. Then everything was fine. I have seen objects floating/offset in front of the TV by typically up to 30cm, but with special effects this occasionally has been as much as 1 metre. I have so far seen no ghosting or crosstalk problems. The main thing about 3D is the extra depth you get in the pictures. The 3D quality is very good. A big advantage of active 3d over passive 3d is that you can watch it from anywhere in the room. You don't need to be dead centre when watching the TV. Also you are getting maximum HD resolution in both eyes. Whereas for passive TV's you are only getting half the HD resolution in each eye. The 3D glasses I purchased (Sony 250) are not comfortable to wear over glasses.

The power consumption of this 'A' rated TV is incredibly low. I am seeing it only consume 50 Watts on my energy meter when on a HD freeview channel.

The EPG is very good. It is easy to skip to the next days listings. There's also a nice feature of typing in the channel number whilst in the EPG to jump quickly to that channels programme information. Also the scrolling of the EPG is quite fast. I saw a leading Philips TV and was astonished just how slow the EPG scrolling was and this was one of the reasons I chose this TV.
From the EPG you can select programmes to record and you can also do 'series record' (press info button when on a program) and this works very well. The only negative is that the TV automatically selects non-HD version of programmes when doing series record. I can't see a way around this problem.

The default beep heard with every keypress of the remote was annoying. I found this could be switched off on the settings->sounds (keypad tone) menu.

I was unable to find ITV or 40D catchup TV services on this TV. Various internet websites claim no Sony TV's have these particular services.
I have found BBC iplayer though.

One final niggle was the complete lack of handling slots (or grip points) on this TV. The back of the TV is smooth with few places where you can get a grip on it when installing the TV onto its stand or moving it. It might be a real issue if you live on your own because you probably need 2 people to safely mount this TV on its stand.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2015 5:18 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sensitive alarm, 22 Sept. 2012
This is an excellent alarm that is extremely sensitive to smoke. One whiff of smoke and it goes off.
It is easy to install and the fact that you can join 2 alarms together (via one wire) is a nice feature.
It just means if one alarm goes off (say downstairs) then the other one (say upstairs) will go also off.

The ability to press the test button and turn off the alarm for 10 minutes is another nice feature.
I have a woodburner and sometimes the smoke backs up when starting the fire.
Turning the alarm off for a few minutes is good in that situation.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Large output files, 31 July 2012
I have a dell xps 15 with 2630QM processor with 6GB of memory and it seems to work ok.
First I had to update to the latest Renesas (previously NEC) USB 3 driver and firmware which was a real pain because windows kept refusing to accept the new driver.
I found a way around this problem.

Next problem was that I did not realise that there was copy protection (called HDCP) on some HDMI outputs (like from PS3 or HDMI output from computer, etc).
There is a way around this protection by buying a DVI to HDMI converter.
But I did not try this yet. Such gadgets can cost upto 100 pounds.

I tried to sample the output from my Sony Cybershot camera via its HDMI output.
I played a 40 second full HD (1080i 59.94) clip with no compression.
I got a 5 GB file with video data rates of 1MB/s and this loaded my Quad Core CPU by 20%.
The pictures look quite sharp.

The file on the camera is 70MB MTS. So clearly MTS is a compression rate of at least 70x.
I can't see any way of getting the intensity shuttle to compress (to MTS, etc) before it saves to disk.
So I suspect a lot of lengthy video post processing is required to compress the saved files.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2014 7:51 PM GMT

Sebamed Cleansing Bar 100 g
Sebamed Cleansing Bar 100 g

5.0 out of 5 stars keeps you looking young, 11 Mar. 2012
I've been using this soap non-stop for 10 years. I never use ordinary soap on my face.
I am nearly 36 years old and many people say I look 10 years younger.

Powermax+ Wireless Intruder Alarm Kit 868MHZ
Powermax+ Wireless Intruder Alarm Kit 868MHZ

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice easy to use system, 17 Nov. 2011
I have this system for over 3 years now.
The system is very reliable and I haven't had to replace any batteries yet.
I have had no false alarms yet.

I purchased it because:

-> It has anti-jamming technology which makes the wireless sensor comm's much more secure.
-> I can control the system remotely from my mobile phone, e.g arm, disarm, 2 way voice comm's, etc.
-> It is completely wireless (except for main unit power and telephone landline connection).
-> The PIR and door sensors are very reliable. This reduces the possibility of false alarms.

I had to create my own 2-wire landline phone lead and wire it into the unit. It was not supplied, although with this supplier it might be.

Note the GSM unit can be purchased as an additional extra and can cost anything up to 200 pounds. The GSM unit would just mean the burglar alarm was not reliant on the landline connection which a highly advanced burglar could disconnect before entering the property. So far I did not purchase the GSM unit. My outside phone lines are not visible where I live.

I have found door sensor batteries lasted 3 years and the PIR batteries are still working after 3 years (though in a busy house I wouldn't expect them to last as long). New ones are relatively easily purchased. The wireless door sensors use battery type CR2, but the siren battery (which lasts 3 years) needs a large 3.6V D Size R20 Lithium Battery (19A-hour+). The siren batteries are approx 15 pounds on ebay.

A negative is that once the alarm goes off then you can only disarm on the control panel (of course using a pin code). The control panel at this point is emitting a painfully loud alarm noise! Disarming from the key fob is strangely not possible. I'm guessing this is just in case the burglar finds a spare fob laying around.

Also the user manual I got is slightly wrong. For remote access via your telephone you need to insert a '*' before entering your user pin code.
Also you need to enable remote-access (and obviously tell it your mobile phone number) on the control panel before any telephone comm's will work.

Locating one of the most useful 'walk through' tests in order to test each sensor is very hard to find in the menu system. Even after going through the manual it is hard to find.

Unold 8210 Travel Water Kettle
Unold 8210 Travel Water Kettle
Offered by sotel-electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Boil just the water you need, 27 Oct. 2011
Great little kettle if you are on your own or a couple. I use this because I can boil as little as 200ml which is enough for a cup of tea.
No need to worry too much about underfilling (which would expose the element) because there is no exposed element in this kettle. The element is all in the base.
The water level indicator is also very clear.

I tend to empty the kettle afterwards if I put too much water in it. This then helps prevent limescale deposits. In any case you shouldn't boil much more than you need if you want to be environmentally friendly and reduce your electric bills.

I had one of these kettles for 6 years and used it very regularly for about 4 of those years. Only today it stopped working which led me to find it here and make a review.

Technomate TM 7102 HD T2 Super USB PVR Satellite Receiver, Black
Technomate TM 7102 HD T2 Super USB PVR Satellite Receiver, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of disk space required and very primitive PVR menu function, 23 Oct. 2011
I purchased this and found the menu system to be very primitive. I had expected an easy to use menu system like those that can be found on multi-media devices such as PS3 (e.g Play TV) or the Sony Bravia multimedia menu. I had expected a good PVR function but in my case video playback was not possible and so the unit was returned. The Technomate customer service refused to answer a question regarding whether the item had incorrect (old/illegal) software on the device which could cause the PVR function not to work.

In any case the amount of data required to record any film will always be the amount of data required to record a HD (High-Def) video. That is because the video is recorded after the up-scaler in the device.
This means a lot of disk space is required. I was clocking up 100MB for every minute, meaning almost 4GB per hour even though the broadcast content was not in HD.
The device is limited to 1TB hard drives. This means a limit of around 125 2-hour movies.
Another issue is that the filename chosen by the device to store the file does bear no relation to the name of the program being broadcast. This makes old movies very hard to find.

On the plus side the video quality was very good.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2017 8:07 PM BST

Breville VIN143 Easy Glide 1800 W Steam Iron
Breville VIN143 Easy Glide 1800 W Steam Iron

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite impressed, 16 Oct. 2011
Quite impressed by this iron. The constant steam option (30g) is nice and speeds up the ironing process.
The iron is fairly light and the bit that makes contact with your clothes looks like it is well constructed and of high quality material.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7