Profile for Steve.J > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 225

Steve.J (Glos. UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Max Signal TW1 Freeview TV Aerial - High Gain Indoor/Outdoor Digital Flat HDTV Antenna for USB TV Tuner / DVB-T Television / DAB Radio
Offered by Max Signal Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good performance for its size!!, 15 Aug. 2015
*** I received this antenna as a free test sample in return for an honest and unbiased review.
When the TW1 HDTV antenna arrived I was amazed at how small it actually was, even after reading the product description!
I have been testing the unit for a couple of weeks and trying to find the optimum position for the antenna in my loft space. My initial view is that the unit is very compact and was easy to set up. I noted the channels that I could receive with the ‘normal’ size loft antenna and then retuned using the TW1. This is feeding a PVR recorder which passes through to the TV via HDMI.

Results so far - Normal antenna - 109 TV channels and 28 radio channels all with approx. 70% signal strength and approx 90% signal quality.
TW1 antenna - 108 TV channels and 28 radio channels, about 95 have approx.70% signal strength and approx 95% signal quality.

At present, about 10% of the channels (via the TW1) are not receiving sufficient signal/quality to be watch-able, but I have been trying to find the optimum antenna position. Unfortunately, I do not have an accessible or suitable window facing the Ridgehill transmitter, which is about 17 miles away to the northwest from my home.

I had to remove the two window sucker pads to be able to mount the unit in my loft and I think the unit would benefit from another mounting option (like some sort of stand or bracket) to make it really flexible and easy to position correctly.

So far, the performance from such a small antenna in a non-optimised position is quite impressive and nearly all of the 'mainstream' TV channels are available at decent quality.

After relocating the antenna a few times, the best that I can achieve with it mounted in the loft is approx. 92 TV and 25 radio channels at about 70% signal strength and 95% signal quality. For such a small unit, this is to my mind very reasonable performance. The few channels that I have ‘lost’ compared with a full size antenna are a small price to pay for getting so much loft space back!
I am sure that if I could mount it in a suitable window position that performance would be directly comparable to a full size antenna.
Obviously, with a unit this small, it is vital to get it positioned correctly and free from any blocking of the ‘line of sight’ to the transmitter that you are trying to pick up. This is not feasible in my loft, with timbers etc in the way at some point, so I am quite pleased with the performance and space saving I have got.
Here are some notes that I received from the supplier regarding set up of the antenna – hopefully they will not mind that I have put them into the review for information.

Installing the TW1 HDTV aerial is very simple. However, for crystal clear HD and digital signal reception please pay special attention to the following KEY INSTALLATION GUIDELINES:
1: Connect the end (IEC- male) of attached coaxial cable to ANT/IN connector at the back of the TV or DVB-T tuner.
2: Make sure that In the TV's setup menu, the tuner mode is set to "Aerial" or "Air" (neither "Cable" nor "Satellite" (please refer to the TV manual for detailed instructions).
3. Affix the aerial in the desired location (preferably on a window facing the most powerful transmitter that covers your area). Please avoid holding the aerial in your arms when you are about to scan as it affects negatively signal reception.
4: In the TV's setup menu, set TV to "scan" for channels". This is sometimes listed as auto-program, auto-scan, channel search or channel scan (please refer to the TV manual for detailed instructions).
5: If after scanning reception is weak, try moving the aerial to another location (preferably two or three different locations that height and surface will vary and ideally facing the transmitter that best covers your area). Please do "rescan the TV".

Important notes:

1. Please make sure your TV is with built-in tuner for Freeview.
2. Retuning takes only a few minutes and can be done with your remote control.
3. Please do not place the aerial on a metal surface or on a window with safety films, since reception deteriorates.

The above-mentioned guidelines are clearly mentioned in the instructions manual booklet that you will find in the box of your TW1 HDTV Antenna. We strongly recommend reading the instruction manual thoroughly and follow all guidelines for efficient performance results.

For extra guidance we have prepared an instructional video which you can access via youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KzYpvXrLL4) or through our website (http://www.max-signal.com/content/2/quick-start-guide) and which might prove helpful in your effort to install the antenna properly.

Eyeglass, Lens and Optical Cleaner - Fine Microfiber Towel - All Natural - MADE IN UK, GREEN PRODUCT, NO AMMONIA AND ALCOHOL, Cleans all dusts and stains, Use for Glasses, Sun Glasses, Reading Glasses, Camera Lens and Spectacles without harming the coating of the Glass/Lens
Offered by Ecozon Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cleaning kit for spectacles, lenses and screens, 15 Aug. 2015
*** I was supplied with this item free of charge directly from ECOMOIST, for an honest and unbiased test and review of the product.

As someone who has tried numerous spectacle and lens cleaning solutions over the years, with varying amounts of success, I was keen to see if this product really could live up to the claims about it. The short answer is - it really does work well, achieving clean, smear free glasses and lenses every time.

Both my wife and I have used it on our spectacles, prescription sunglasses, the clip-on and flip-up polaroid frames for specs (really handy when driving) and have found that it gives the best results we have had versus all the other lens cleaners we have ever tried. It works on glass, plastic and coated lenses.

I have also used it to clean my camera lenses and the LCD display screen on the back of the camera and the screens on our smart-phones and Android tablets, all with excellent results. Just follow the simple instructions on the box, spray the liquid on sparingly and polish gently with the cloth. The liquid is also bio-degradable and hypo-allergenic. The 50ml bottle also seems to last for ages, making the kit very cost effective.

The microfibre cleaning cloth supplied as part of the kit is about 20cm square, using a thick, good quality material (possibly polyester). The quality of the cleaning cloth probably helps the product perform so well. One thing to remember with microfibre cloths is NOT to use fabric conditioner when washing them, just use a mild detergent at a maximum of 40 degC.

Overall,I am really pleased with the product and am happy to give it a 5* review. I will be buying this product when the test sample runs out!!

AmazonBasics USB Cables 2.0 A-Male to Micro B (0.9 m / 3 Feet) Pack of 2
AmazonBasics USB Cables 2.0 A-Male to Micro B (0.9 m / 3 Feet) Pack of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality cable pack for data transfer and device charging., 1 Aug. 2015
I bought the twin pack of 2 x 0.9M USB to micro USB cables for data transfer and device charging. Build quality seems good and the gold plated connectors seem to provide a good reliable connection. Charging times for smart-phones, MP3 players, E-Cig batteries and my tablet seem to be comparable to the normal charger route, but are probably a bit longer, depending upon the charging method.
Given the number of devices that require this type of cable connection these days, it is really useful to have a few of these quality cables around the house, or in your bag.

As noted by other reviewers, I think the micro USB block is a bit on the 'chunky' side and can make it awkward to fit into tighter spaces, but apart from that, no issues and good value for money!

Swees 25600mAh Ultra High Capacity Power Bank (3 Smart Port, 4.5A Output) Portable External Battery Charger For iPhone, iPad and Samsung Galaxy and More - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful and flexible power bank with the all important safety ratings !!, 24 July 2015
** Please note, I received this item free of charge to test it and give an honest and open review of the performance of the power bank.

This is one of the larger power banks that I have come across, weighing in at 494gm and dimensions of 170mm x 106mm x 14mm, with a solid, well made feel to the casing, and the input and output ports seem to be of good quality too ( I have owned other chargers that quickly developed worn and sloppy USB connections) but the ones fitted into the SWEES feel as though they will last.
This is a really impressive unit, with an excellent storage capacity and charge rate and 3 USB outlets. Total output is quoted at 5V / 4.5A across the three USBs and a maximum of 2.1A per outlet, hence the larger dimensions when compared to other units.

The manual is generally well written, informative and well worth reading to get the best out of the unit and prolong the life of the internal cells. My unit came with two USB to micro USB cables. These are about 0.5 and 1m in length for charging the unit itself. If you need to charge up to 3 devices at a time (which I sometimes do) then make sure that you buy decent quality USB cables to carry out the charging process.

To get the unit to full charge took about 15 hours using a mains AC adapter with a 2.1A output and will take up to 24 hours with a 1A adapter. This sounds a lot, but is comparable to some of the other power banks that I own / have owned. Obviously it should not be left unattended for long periods of time during the charging process, even though it does not seem to get overly warm. The same goes for when you are using it to charge devices; it is just good and safe practice to monitor them regularly. Note that you cannot use unit to charge other devices when it is being charged itself, which is understandable.

The unit kept my Lenovo Tablet, MP3 player, two Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini phones and my E-cigs going for a week away from home and was still not exhausted by the time we returned, so it really does have sufficient capacity for most needs and sufficient output to charge devices in a reasonable time period.

It is well worth reading the excellent 5* review by K.Burton dated 27/06/2015 as they give more technical details than I can and is an extensive and informative review.

Overall, this is an excellent product and you will get what you pay for in terms of performance, build quality and the flexibility to charge multiple devices.
Comment Comment | Permalink

EBL 999 12 Bay / Slot LCD Display Smart Battery Charger for AA AAA 9V Ni-MH Ni-CD Rechargeable Batteries 9V Li-ion Battery Charger
Offered by EBL Official

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent high volume battery charger for AA AAA and PP3 batteries, 23 July 2015
** Please note, I received this item free of charge to test and give an honest and open review of the charger.

This is a very good quality unit and has performed very well in charging the large quantity of NiMh batteries that we have ‘on the go’ all around the house, ranging from 200mAh to 2800mAh capacity in both AAA and AA sizes ( 10 slots) and also does the 9V PP3/MN1604 size (2 slots).
It will charge both NiMh and NiCd rechargeable batteries

The unit charges anything from 1 to 10 of the AA/AAA batteries at a time in any combination in the slots, which is very useful and flexible – no messing about having to load batteries in pairs. The LCD screen displays clearly the charging progress for each slot or cell (with the exception of the PP3 batteries which uses a simple ON/OFF LED light for indication).
As a ‘smart charger’ it will not try to charge totally exhausted or faulty batteries, so I have used an old charger to try to get a little charge into a suspect battery and tried it again. If it fails at this point I have discarded the battery as faulty (only had to do this for 2 batteries).

It has overcharge and over temperature protection and for anything up to 2000mAh batteries, it seems to charge quite efficiently and pretty quickly and seems to achieve a ‘real’ 100% charge.
For the 2800mAh AA batteries, charge times do seem to be fairly long (in the 6-8 hour range) as there is no fast charge facility. In practice it is not too much of an issue, because of the ability to charge up to 10 AA/AAA batteries at a time.

The mains power cable is ~ 90 cm long and the unit is ~ 230mm wide x ~100mm deep x ~ 30mm high. The LCD display for the AA/AAA batteries is best viewed from about a 45 degree angle; otherwise the display is very faint. Construction feels and looks good, the instructions are fairly clear and simple with the odd bit of translation error thrown in, just to remind you that this is a product made in China.

If you need a charger that can charge high volumes of batteries and is reliable you could do far worse than getting one of these. I am glad that I decided to test this unit as I hardly ever use my old charger now and only to double check suspect batteries!!!

I have added a few photos to the review to illustrate.
Comment Comment | Permalink

ESYNiC 2.4G High Gain 300Mbps WiFi USB Adapter with Detachable Antenna - Wireless Transmission Rates Can Reach Up to 300Mbps - Complies with IEEE 802.11AC/N/G/B Standards-Next Generation WiFi & Supports for Windows 2000 Vista Win7 8 CE Linux MAC
Offered by eSynic

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased with this USB WiFi adapter and pleasantly surprised by the performance!!, 23 July 2015
I received this ESYNiC 300Mbps WiFi USB adapter free from the supplier to test and review with my honest opinion of the product.

I had read earlier reviews and noted that some reviewers had encountered issues with this device,so I was a little concerned about its potential performance. I used it to take over from the built in Wi-Fi adapter in our Samsung laptop (running Windows 7 SP1 64bit) which has been giving trouble of late so I was hoping for a noticeable improvement in performance and stability - which I am very glad to say we actually got. Download speeds are now regularly testing at ~ 60Mbps from our BT Infinity broadband whereas in the past the best we could get was ~40 Mbps and stability is actually improved with less drops in signal, tested at various points around the house. I think the external antenna probably helps here.
The unit does take a little longer to establish a connection with our Wi-Fi but that is a small price to pay for the improved overall performance.

Installation of the unit was fairly straightforward with easy and simple instructions, the controller software comes on a mini CD ~(75mm dia) so check that the CD/DVD unit in your computer can cope with these. The software did take a little while to load at around 15-20 minutes for some reason, but once set up it found the signal fairly quickly (and the signal from every other Wi-Fi in the neighbourhood!! but ours did appear at the top of the list). The secure sign in to our router was done quickly and the unit established a strong connection pretty soon afterwards. As I said, it does take a few seconds longer to pick up the Wi-Fi at each start up but downloads and video streaming are now a much more pleasant affair and we are getting the BT Infinity service we pay for.

Overall, my experience with this product has been excellent and certainly was easier than opening up the laptop to try and replace the built in adapter. The unit protrudes about 100mm from the side of the laptop USB port and is about 80mm tall with the antenna in position. I have added a few photos to illustrate

TireTek Premium Tyre Pressure Gauge - Large Dial
TireTek Premium Tyre Pressure Gauge - Large Dial
Offered by Odyseaco

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust, solid and accurate - should last a lifetime!!, 15 Jun. 2015
I received this item from the seller as a free product for my unbiased review.

This gauge sells at a price point at the higher end of the scale, but is is matched by its robust, easy to read and solid design. Well engineered and and well thought out, I do not expect to ever need another pressure gauge!! It is flexible in use, with the rotating head to make it easier to reach those awkward to reach valves and locates well, without lots of leaking. The gauge is graduated in 2 psi and 0.1 kg/cm2 increments and holds the reading until the release button on the side is pressed. This button can also be used for controlled deflation of tyres etc, if you over inflate.

I have checked it against a number of other devices and it seems to be very accurate. I did contact the seller regarding the issue of calibration and was told that due to the design it should maintain the correct calibration, essentially for the life of the product.

I found it far easier to use and read compared with my old and trusty pen type gauge and feel that it gives more dependable results. The psi scale is large enough to easily estimate odd number pressures i.e. 31psi. The unit measures up to 60psi or 4.2 kg/cm2, which should be adequate for most applications and the ease of use makes it really quick to check the pressures on 2 cars and 2 bikes.

The rubber casing makes it easy to grip and also protects the unit from knocks and bumps, which I have already been guilty of!! My wife is actually now checking the tyre pressures on her car because this unit is easy to read and use (previously I have always been delegated with this job).

I like the fact that this is a mechanical, rather than a digital unit, so no scrabbling around for batteries which I appreciate.

IPS Screen - 10" Inch Fusion5 Sharp4 Android Kitkat Tablet PC - 1280*800 - Very Powerful QuadCore CPU - 16GB Storage (Expandable) - Bluetooth - UK WARRANTY AND SERVICE CENTRE

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - if you get one that works properly!!, 29 May 2015
I ordered this Tablet based on my previous experience of Fusion5 Tablets, which have been decent 'workhorse' budget Tablets for the price.

However, this one has proved to be a problem, when the charge level drops to 60% or less, the screen dissolves into a series of various coloured vertical lines and takes numerous restarts to get it working again, only for the problem to resurface at a later date.
Also had problems with the unit reacting slowly and randomly when trying to use it whilst it was charging.
To be fair, the seller has been very good in the customer service department, handling my issues with the unit in a prompt and efficient manner, however the unit continues to malfunction even after a return to the seller, for investigation of the fault and a reload of the software and replacement of the charging socket. I have therefore asked for a refund. The unit demonstrated the screen and charging issues even though they were supposed to have been remedied.

If you get one that works without this issue, then for under a £100 you get a fairly responsive Tablet with a decent, crisp and responsive screen and specification that can be a pleasure to use. However, if you get a 'Friday afternoon' unit then expect plenty of problems. This is the downside of buying at the budget end of the market, so I guess I will have to try another budget vendor, as I am not happy to pay the inflated prices of Apple, Samsung et al for marginally better performance and rubbish customer service and in being tied in to their preferred systems and software.

At the budget end of the market you do take a gamble and in this case, for me, it has not paid off.

A Crime Collection - 5 Heart-Pumping Mystery Thrillers Boxed Set
A Crime Collection - 5 Heart-Pumping Mystery Thrillers Boxed Set

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable holiday read, if you like thrillers., 10 May 2015
This free Kindle collection of 5 novels is a good way to access new authors in the thriller genre. I picked this up as I wanted some easy reads for a holiday and they proved to be a reasonable collection, but I would probably not be tempted to buy any other titles from the five authors at the moment, as none of them really stood out for me. This is obviously a very personal view, and others may really love the style of each of the writers. As they are a free issue at the moment this collection is definitely worth a try if you are looking for new authors to sample. I believe that each book is the first in a series by each of the authors.

The 5 story lines are each quite different so at least there is some variety here, just don't expect Lee Childs or James Patterson et al. Four of the stories are set in the U.S and one (Ethan Justice - Origins) is U.K based. I found that some of the story lines became a bit unconvincing and far-fetched at times and the plots then lost a bit of credibility.

The books are (in the order they appeared on my Kindle App.)
This Doesn't Happen In The Movies
Unleashed - Sydney Rye
Ethan Justice - Origins
The Friday Edition
Bloodland

As there is a very brief précis of each book in the product description I do do not intend to give further details, in case I include any spoilers.

Betron DC950 Headphones Earphones, Noise Isolating, Bass Driven, High Definition In Ear Canal, Tangle free, Replaceable Earbuds for or iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung, Nokia, HTC Black
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!! - great sound quality at a sensible price!!, 4 May 2015
I bought the basic version of these earbud headphones (no in-line volume or microphone) as that was all I needed for my MP3 player. All I can say is that I was amazed by the quality of the sound - deep rich bass with no 'booming' and crisp sharp mid and high tones, which really brought the music to life considering that I mainly use them for listening to 320kbps MP3 . They knocked spots off earbud phones that I own, costing 4x the price.

They are very comfortable once you have selected the correct silicon bud size from the small, medium and large pairs that are supplied. They are on the heavy side, compared with others that I have bought, but once you have the right fit buds and have them seated properly in your ears, they are fairly secure. If you are doing gym exercise then the weight may become more of a problem, but just walking around, I have not found a problem. If you get the fit right, they are reasonably effective in sound cancelling as well, if that is important to you - I have found it necessary to turn down the volume down at times, as I needed to hear outside sounds, phones etc.

I really like the tangle free, flat cable design, which is a reason that I bought them, they really are less prone to getting knotted up.

As expected, I had to tweak the EQ settings on my MP3 player and Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini phone and my Android Tablet to suit the earphones, but that is always the case in my experience. Everything that I have tried them on (including an old iPod Shuffle 3) has given the same impressive results, really bringing out the best in the music. I also tried them on the Hi-Fi (with a good quality extension lead) and this was also really, really good.

It will just be interesting to see how long they last, as I am pretty hard on wired earphones, usually managing to do something to dislodge a connection in about 12 months.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20