Profile for E. DeB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Alcohol Explained
Alcohol Explained

4.0 out of 5 stars If in doubt about reading this book, read it., 22 May 2017
This review is from: Alcohol Explained (Kindle Edition)
I am not someone who anyone would say has a problem with alcohol. Except perhaps me. But I had an inkling that I could have, which was my reason to look around for literature on the subject. However, the writing I found tends to assume you are far along the track of being an alcoholic. My situation was that I noticed a thought would pop into my head that a drink would make a normal situation better, that it would add to relaxation. Finish a bike ride - have a cold beer. Have a glass of wine while making dinner after finishing work. Then another after my wife got home. The use to me of this book is that it explores the nature of alcohol drinking for a normal individual and checks our perceptions and misconceptions. At my mid-life stage, I may have more to gain - not least time and clarity - by quitting alcohol than by continuing complacently along the alcohol path. This book lays out options of how that makes sense and is possible.

I deducted one star because the text would benefit from a professional edit or a revision.

Pour Me: A Life
Pour Me: A Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Eloquent, hilarious, wise, 2 May 2017
This review is from: Pour Me: A Life (Kindle Edition)
So this is how a brilliant comment writer writes in long form. He turns somersaults linguistically on the page. I will miss him now that I know he was so much more than a restaurant critic and food writer.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative, comfortable, portable, 29 Mar. 2017
It is more comfortable than the standard travel pillow shape, which can prop your head upright. I sleep soundly with it and do not have neck pains when I wake. It is also very portable thanks to a shape that you can twist to make it a much less bulky size.

Arena Spiky 2 Adults' Functional Backpack Large blue royal Size:  35 x 23 x 49 cm, 1E004
Arena Spiky 2 Adults' Functional Backpack Large blue royal Size: 35 x 23 x 49 cm, 1E004
Offered by ProSwimwear

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the first one so much, I bought a second., 6 Jan. 2017
I own two, since I live in two places. It beats squeezing swimming kit into a 15L rucksack. The interior of this version is a day glo yellow, which helps when searching contents. If only there were an inside pocket on the main flap.

Hercules GSP38WB Wall Mountable Guitar Hanger - Wood Base
Hercules GSP38WB Wall Mountable Guitar Hanger - Wood Base

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 6 Jan. 2017
It is doing a good job of holding my Squier Jazzmaster on the wall. My wife finds it aesthetically acceptable. Fewer than five stars because I needed to find my own second screw and rawlplug. Only one of each was supplied.

MeasuPro CCT400 Digital Timer, Clock, and Stopwatch with Four Channels
MeasuPro CCT400 Digital Timer, Clock, and Stopwatch with Four Channels

5.0 out of 5 stars Cook's help, 7 Jan. 2016
It has saved many boiling eggs.

Garmin Forerunner 920XT GPS Multisport Watch with Running Dynamics, Connected Features and Heart Rate Monitor - Black/Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars 920XT - worth it, 7 Jan. 2016
Like the Forerunner 220 I had before, the 920XT is the right balance of functionality and ease of use. Now that I also have swimming capabilities, it's even more useful. Highly recommended.

Between East and West: Across the Borderlands of Europe
Between East and West: Across the Borderlands of Europe
by Anne Applebaum

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne Applebaum's approach to revealing the history of the region ..., 1 Nov. 2015
Anne Applebaum's approach to revealing the history of the region unlocked it for me in a way that more conventionally scholarly books have not. At first glance reading it nearly 20 years after publication might seem misdirected, but it has given me an enlightening and more sympathetic perspective on the world from which my neighbours in Kraków have emerged. She has a lightness of touch in her writing that allows her describe certain episodes with pathos and humour while avoiding parody.

Targus TBT23102EU Transit Topload Laptop Bag / Case fits 14.1 inch Laptops, Black / Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Minimalism for meetings, 8 April 2014
I was looking for a replacement laptop bag to replace a much used and abused Dell bag. What I liked about the Dell bag was that it was no bigger than it needed to be. I wanted it to include necessary items, but no more, to overcome my tendency to pack lots of papers, which then became lost in the pile, forgotten for a few weeks, obsolescing. It would need to include a personal Filofax, a notebook, mini iPad, pens, a 13" laptop, a small umbrella (for London), some cables, the laptop power supply, at a push. It would also need a holder to enable attachment to a suitcase. I spent an hour researching many, many options from all the major luggage brands. After delivery and use, I have found it to be well made. Thought has gone into the layout, protection for computer equipment is good (laptop and iPad specific sections), the pocket for paraphernalia is functional and the 'secret' pocket at the very front is very useful. It seems to be shower proof too. My only quibble is that a laptop bag puts too much weight on one shoulder, but since I made the decision not to get yet another rucksack, I cannot justify that. All for £24 - excellent value.

Garmin Forerunner 220 GPS Running Watch 010-01147-10 - Black/Red
Garmin Forerunner 220 GPS Running Watch 010-01147-10 - Black/Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for regular training, 11 Mar. 2014
Simple and effective. It's easier to get GPS reception and much more practical than my previous Garmin, the Forerunner 305, for running. It's also acceptable in looks as a leisure watch. I recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2