Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Tony H > Reviews

Content by Tony H

Tony H "Tony H." (Wales)

Page: 1 | 2
Alan Wake - Limited Edition
Alan Wake - Limited Edition

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 15 May 2010
After a lengthy development cycle I was expecting great things from Alan Wake, but unfortunately Remedy were unable to deliver.

For a game that relies so heavily on it's storyline and characters I found both lacking. The eponymous protagonist isn't really a likeable chap, and his wife is as annoying as Alan is dull. As for the story, it's a pretty clichéd affair, elements clearly lifted from books and movies, but the game doesn't consider the player intelligent enough to get them (Alan exclaiming "just like Nicholson in The Shining" when one of the Taken attempts to cut through a door with an axe). I found Alan's constant narration distracting from the atmosphere of the game, which is largely successful due to some fancy lighting and visual effects.

Visually, the game is something of a mixed bag, much of the game takes place in a dark forest, and much of it looks the same, out of the forest there are some attractive locations, but the textures aren't as good as they could have been, also the facial animations are creepy (a patch to address this has been announced). Also, the cut scenes are pre rendered using completely different lighting and use a different colour pallet entirely, this really disturbs the atmosphere the game is trying to create.

My biggest criticism is with combat, while having to use light to weaken enemies with light is an interesting mechanic at first, it quickly becomes repetitive and more of a chore than an enjoyable experience. In addition, you're frequently you're attacked from behind, and the game slows down (in an attempt to be cinematic) initially it's not too much of a problem, but when you combine this with the game using a similar effect whenever you avoid an enemies attack you may as well be playing the game in slow motion, but since Remedy also developed Max Payne this shouldn't come as a surprise. Another problem rears it's ugly head when you're outnumbered or have low ammo and you try to run to a safe haven, alan can only sprint for a very short distance, and the taken are able to quickly make up ground and kill you before you're able to reach the safety of light. Avoiding combat sometimes seems impossible, which is especially frustrating if you're low on ammo.

I really wanted to like Alan Wake, and when your'e not talking to people or shooting things the game is quite successful. I'm sure many people will buy the game and enjoy it, but unfortunately for me I wasn't one of them.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2010 9:21 AM BST

Black Holes And Revelations
Black Holes And Revelations

1.0 out of 5 stars Why? How?, 23 July 2006
Really, I have to ask why and how Muse decided to regress in such a way? They seemed to be moving forwards into interesting territories on the spectacular Origin of Symmetry after being (unfairly) compared to Radiohead on the excellent Showbiz. Absolution was the start of the downward spiral I guess, they began playing with electronics and failed miserably. I had few illusions that Muse could pull them selves out of the hole they'd began to slip into, after all Absolution was praised by the media and the public bought it in droves. what I wasn't expecting was Muse to slip further into the bleak abyss of mixing dated synth sounds with rock by numbers as they have here.

From the beginning this album is dreadful, there are the odd moments of greatness, but they are few and far between. Avoid this album. Buy another copy of Showbiz or Origin of Symmetry or something.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2013 4:45 PM GMT

Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do
Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do
Offered by vsmusic_com_us

5.0 out of 5 stars Very odd, 7 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do (Audio CD)
was expecting something along the lines of ( ), but these songs are very minimalist, and sometimes there doesn't seem to be much going on. But they are very beautiful and very haunting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Best of worth buying..., 7 Aug. 2004
...even if you own all of STP's albums. All of the songs on here are great, and make a good starting point for new STP fans. It's also made worthwhile for people that may own all of STP's albums by the new song "All in the Suit that You Wear" and the DVD, which features all of the bands videos, and some live footage, and also some bootleg footage too. Most of the bootleg footage is poor quality, as I was expecting, but it's still good fun to see.

She
She

4.0 out of 5 stars Noise!, 7 Aug. 2004
This review is from: She (Audio CD)
I like Noise, and this is good.
I'd rather listen to any other Mike Patton project though. But this is still a good listen if noise is your thing.

Leitmotif
Leitmotif

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodness..., 4 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Leitmotif (Audio CD)
This album really is amazing, I had heard Dredg's second album, El Cielo, and loved that, I was expecting this to sound similar. How wrong could I have been, this album is heavier, but still very beautiful.
Every song on this CD are heartfelt and wonderfully crafted by exceptional musicians. I would recommend either one of Dredg's albums to anyone with even a passing interest in rock/metal, because I doubt that you could find a better example of music today, with the exception of maybe Tool or A Perfect Circle.

DRIV3R (PS2)
DRIV3R (PS2)

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge dissapointment, 4 Aug. 2004
This review is from: DRIV3R (PS2) (Video Game)
I'd been looking forward to this game since I first got my PS2 4 years ago, I loved the first Driver, but it's sequel was too ambitious, and was a massive letdown for me.
But when I first saw Driv3r I thought that it could be the game that I wanted Driver 2 to be. Upon first playing the game I was impressed, everything that made Driver great was in place, nice cars, beautiful scenery, amazing handling. Step out of the car and it becomes a different matter all together. Tanner runs faster sideways, enemies stand still waiting for you to shoot them, and the traffic seems to want to stop you from finishing missions.
The game punishes you constantly. Every mission becomes a game of trail and error, forcing you to restart over and over again. The only really fun part of the game is the take a ride mode, and maybe some of the driving games. At least in these modes you don't really have to suffer any on foot sections for too long.
I am hoping that should there be another instalment of the Driver series that Reflections takes note of all these problems and makes a game that is worthy of the franchise.

Absolution
Absolution
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Why??!!, 21 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Absolution (Audio CD)
Muse used to be one of my favourite bands, quite simply they rocked. However this album is just very very bad, they have lost everything that I loved about the last two albums, and focused on everything that I hated. Matt Bellemy seems to have discovered a talent for writing really inane lyrics that just make me feel sick, musically they are undoubtedly talented, but they have applied their talents to writing increadably dull songs. When I first heard this album I thought it might grow on me, it hasn't, it never will. I can't listen to it beyond 2 minutes into Apocolypse Please, though I will admit it does get better towards the middle, Butterflies and Hurricains is a moderatly OK song, but in all honesty I have heard better B-sides by this band. If you have to buy a Muse album, make it Showbiz or Origin of Symmetry. I'd even recomend the Hullabaloo Soundtrack over this, and I'm not a fan of B-sides or live albums. I really hope they go back to writing good songs in the future.

Page: 1 | 2