Profile for Mr. R. Johnson > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Johnson

Mr. R. Johnson "robandvanessa" (Selby)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Bridge - Season 1
The Bridge - Season 1
Dvd ~ Demian Birchir
Offered by TV Depot UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty, Great Drama, 30 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Bridge - Season 1 (DVD)
I first came across this on the Internet, where someone had uploaded it episode by episode and I thought why not, this looks interesting. I did a bit of research and found the story to be the story of the American Police and the Mexican Police, on both sides of the border way down south in the US of A, where a body is found half on one side of the border and half, literally, on the other, so both forces work together to bring the perpetrators to justice. But there is a twist [followed by many many more].

I then decided to watch it and by the end of the first episode, I was hooked. I had to see what would happen next, had to see more of Ms Kruger [and who wouldn't] and had to know when the time came, what would happen to the character of Fausto Galvan. I mean, with a name like Fausto [from Faust obviously] one would wonder if there was some devilish antics to follow. And I was not disappointed either, so I went on Facebook and found the page for the show, where there were shots and videos from the show. I shared my liking for the show, connecting with other fans from across the world.

I love this show. I love the grittiness of it. It is not the normal sort of cops drama at all and in the end, I ended up rooting for the baddie, Mr Fausto Galvan, who is portrayed by the actor Ramon Franco. I had seen this fella in a few things without really knowing it, if you get my drift, him being one of those lovely actors [and man] who gets around the business. In the end, at the end of the entire set of episodes [not just this season] I was left wanting more, but then the makers of the show axed the thing and I have been in mourning ever since.

But above all, the one thing that I have received from watching this show is a new found friendship, on Facebook, with the man who plays Galvan, Mr Ramon Franco. If you have seen Law & Order SVU recently, you will know who he is. Out of the blue I get a friend request and from that we chat about the business. I suppose I am a frustrated movie maker, having once had the chance to train but not get the funding, so to have someone who has worked with them all find interest in my lunatic self is quite humbling.

I have this on NTSC Blu Ray, courtesy of Mr Franco who sent me a gift all the way from California and that will never get played. I cannot because I do not have a Zone A Blu Ray player. Instead, it will be treasured, but now I have to get a R2 set and this is why I am here. Go and buy this if you like gritty dramas that are different in every way. You will not be disappointed. I wasn't and I am a picky sod at the best of times.

I LOVE THIS SHOW.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Jungle Book [DVD] [2016]
The Jungle Book [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Scarlett Johansson

5.0 out of 5 stars Idris Elba as a menacing Shere Khan is brilliant, a reminder of the now infamous voice that ..., 3 May 2016
This review is from: The Jungle Book [DVD] [2016] (DVD)
I have just seen this for the first time and was quite unsure as to what to expect. How can one beat the 1967 original for the quality it possesses? I am also a purist so any remake is going to have to go some to keep me occupied and excited, but this got me from the beginning and at times, I was somewhat emotional. It's my age, don't you know.

I knew that there were going to be hints to the original soundtrack but not in as much detail. Kaa's theme, The Bear Necessities, King Louie singing King of the Swingers; they are all there and although not as Jazz orientated as the original, by God they do the songs justice, especially a rather crazed Christopher Walken as King Louie, who takes the jovial nature of the original and completely turns it on its head, into an almost Dogs of War King Louie. I do not care what anyone says, but that takes some doing even if he is drawn that way to begin with.

As to the story it is the same, with minor differences. Idris Elba as a menacing Shere Khan is brilliant, a reminder of the now infamous voice that covered him in the original, one of my favourite black and white film actors. Bill Murray's Baloo though, steals the thing for me and where do these film makers find these young actors like Neel Sethi? Pure genius casting. Not only does he look like the original with the mop of hair and everything, but he owns the thing from start to finish.

I am skint at the moment, completely borrassic, but the one thing I will be doing when I finish typing is pre-ordering the thing. Then I will be getting the 1967 version once again and at my first opportunity, I am using both in school, to teach media and how to compare two versions of the same thing.

Long live The Jungle Book. The classic lives on.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2016 4:24 PM BST

Asus X553SA-XX166T 15.6 inch Notebook (Intel N3050 1.60 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Windows 10) - Black
Offered by Laptop Outlet UK

1.0 out of 5 stars A Complete Waste Of Time and Money, 9 Mar. 2016
A Complete Waste Of Time and Money

I bought this to replace an eMachines e732z laptop that had died and gone to Laptop Heaven. I thought I would treat myself to something with at least 4GB of RAM as mine had 2GB before that and 1TB of HDD. I had a good idea of what I wanted beforehand; a good optical drive, large storage, all the usual stuff.

But oh boy, was I wrong to choose this one over all the rest. You see, Asus do not tell you that if you want to swap out the RAM strip for the faster 8GB one, which I then had to buy from Crucial at £29.99, that you have to be a tech expert to do so, for it is sandwiched in the middle of the front and back of the machine. Take a look at the youtube video about how to do this and you too will utter those two words I did, the latter being "that!!!" Why Asus did not put 8GB of RAM in this, I have no idea.

Then there's the trackpad/touchpad. No end of driver downloads have fixed the lurching, jumping cursor problem. You are typing away and suddenly you are three paragraphs above adding into a sentence already written. For a student, that would be a major problem. Imagine it from my perspective as teacher and preacher. I will be resorting to using a mouse and disabling the touchpad completely from now on. It is terrible and conducive to bad thoughts.

Windows 10 as well; I think I would have preferred it with 8.1 installed and the chance to upgrade, but no. I had to get the one with Win10 installed. What a load of garbage that is. Why is it that it seems okay to say "please wait. We will not be long" and then 30 minutes pass by before you can use the computer?

Now, I have a laptop that is as about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I have to type with single digits. I cannot relax with it and the wifi keeps losing coverage; network adapter problems to cope with that will only resolve itself with a restart. 20 restarts in one day is a bit annoying Mr Littlewoods. You should allow us to return such garbage, instead of having that ridiculous no returns policy.

Okay, rant over. I am off to ebay to buy a cheap Win7 laptop that WORKS!!!

Folks, ignore this computer and buy something else. Buy a Chromebook; cheaper and much more fun!

I reluctantly give this one star, out of duress.

Quantum Leap - The Ultimate Collection (Repackaged) [DVD] [1989]
Quantum Leap - The Ultimate Collection (Repackaged) [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Scott Bakula

4.0 out of 5 stars A Kick In The Butt, 26 Nov. 2015
Quantum Leap has always been my favourite television show and Amazon has always been my preferred supplier of books and DVDs, until now.

I have no qualms with the DVDs themselves, but a new item coming through the mail with broken pieces, even when well packed, is simply not good enough. The first case was smashed internally and has had to be replaced at my cost. Plus, what we thought we were going to get actually was not what we received. That was our mistake and our kick in the butt.

I love the show, which is why 4 stars, but the loss of the 5th star is down to Amazon putting two images up; one of this, which is still fabulous, but also another with a series of disc cases that make up a picture of Sam and Al. I assumed I was getting that one, with my wife clicking on so many images of this set.

Ah well, Season 1 has been watched and replaced [the case] so now on to Season 2.

Cannot stay long on here; Sam has turned into Samantha!

Something for the Soul
Something for the Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic New CD, 27 Mar. 2015
Never, ever, in all of my days, would you have been able to tell me that one day, in March 2015, my wife and I would have the chance to go to a Garth Hewitt concert and then get the chance to meet, chat with, get permission to use songs in church services and get a signed copy of his new book, as well as being able to buy this CD before even hearing any of the songs.

From the start to the end, this is wondrous; a mixture of styles and songs, some of which are so easy to get in one go so you sing along before too long and others that will settle into your soul and make you sing them for days. The richness of the lyric and the tonal qualities of guitar and, what Mike Harding once called "The Mouth Truss" work so well together.

Would I recommend this to anyone else? Oh yes indeedy. Here is a man who is humble, yet challenging. He is forthright where there is injustice and you leave his concerts feeling challenged to go out and do something about the things that are not right in this world of ours. This then, is a CD worth the having. Go out and buy. You will never ever regret it.

Sony DVP-SR170 DVD Player
Sony DVP-SR170 DVD Player

2.0 out of 5 stars Holy Crap! It's a DVD Player!, 29 Oct. 2014
Sony DVPSR170 DVD Player

I bought a Logik DVD player and had to return it because it was faulty, so looked at this one and saw a single review that said it was a noisy machine. Upon reflection I should have gone elsewhere because my machine does what it is supposed to do, but I fail to understand why new built DVD players rattle like a motorcycle without any baffles in the exhaust when you press PLAY on the handset and the machine starts up. It settles down after about ten minutes but is damned annoying to be honest. The volume control on the television has to be set high to get over the top of the thing.

I bought Sony because we used to have a trusted, reliable Sony player. I shall not be buying one again. Budget should not mean crap!

The Crucified God (SCM Classics)
The Crucified God (SCM Classics)
by Jurgen Moltmann

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible In Every Way, 19 Oct. 2014
I had to get this when candidating for Ministry and when I first read it I hated it. Now I hate it. I will always hate it. Year 2 stuff to people who are showing interest in wearing the collar as their vocation - best way to put them off. And we wonder why the church is dying around us.

Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD]
Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Damaged, 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Damaged disc. Not good.

LOST - The Complete First Season [2005]
LOST - The Complete First Season [2005]
Dvd ~ Matthew Fox

1.0 out of 5 stars Same old same old..., 19 Oct. 2014
Thought I would give it a go - regretted it by DVD 3. Same old same old storyline. Life on Mars is much better.

Logik HDMI 1080p HD Upscaling DVD Player
Logik HDMI 1080p HD Upscaling DVD Player

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Garbage, 19 Oct. 2014
Awful - simply atrocious piece of kit. I bought this when one bought at Tescos went wonky and chewed up an entire season 1 of Person Of Interest. I went for cheap and suffered. First off the remote would not work. Then when I took it back to the shop, they replaced the remote and it still had no desired effect. If you want to operate this manually then you are fine, but with the remote, be prepared to wave your bowling arm around the room a lot trying to get it to operate. I am taking it back again tomorrow to ask for a full refund and then going to Argos to get the cheaper Sony, which I wanted when I went in to Currys in the first place. Do not buy this garbage.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2015 4:47 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5