Profile for gerry1 > Reviews

Do the job

Replacement power supply for 12V PURE Evoke 12V version DAB Radio
Replacement power supply for 12V PURE Evoke 12V version DAB Radio
Offered by Digidave

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement power supply adapter gets my Evoke radio working again, 31 Aug. 2014
My Pure Evoke 3 finally stopped working on mains power but still worked on removable battery power. An internet search indicated the possibilty that the mains power adapter was at fault rather than the radio power supply itself. This replacement mains power from Digidave adapter has lots of good endorsements so I bought one. It arrived sooner than promised and now my Evoke radio is working on mains power again. Also, an irritating short regular pulse of noise we'd been living with for the past year has gone so it must have been caused by the power adapter that came with the radio being damaged. We listen to the Evoke radio in the kitchen which means the set is plugged into a mains socket just above the worktop. The original power adapter that Pure supplied has the lead coming out the top of the plug when plugged in meaning the weight ot the cord pulls down on it giving a kink just above the plug. I would not be surprised if it was this design that gave me the noise and eventual failure. The replacement power adapter I bought from Digidave has the wire coming out of the bottom of the plug so I don't expect the same stress on the wire as before. All in all I'm pleased with my purchase which was significantly cheaper than a replacement from Pure.

The Man Who Never Was [DVD]
The Man Who Never Was [DVD]
Dvd ~ Clifton Webb

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing film, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Man Who Never Was [DVD] (DVD)
I think this film was made before Operation Mincemeat was generally known although it is very clearly based on the real events. The story is intriguing and, you think, somewhat implausible, but the premise is true; viz a dead body is allowed to be found in the sea with the aim of concealing the site of the invasion of Sicily in WW2. The acting is convincing and the suspense that builds up towards the end is fascinating; how the operation pans out is very well handled by the director. It's a film I've watched several times and I always get something out of it.

Kingston Generation 3 8GB DataTraveller USB Drive - Yellow
Kingston Generation 3 8GB DataTraveller USB Drive - Yellow
Offered by Bluestone Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingston Generation 3 8GB Data Transfer USB Drive excellent, 5 April 2013
I bought this drive to plug into my new Netgear N600 router - the router accesses the files and presents them to wifi devices just as though the drive was network attached storage. So now when I'm at home I can stream my mp3 music files that are stored on the USB drive without the PC needing to be switched on, just use the mobile phone to listen to them. I've always been a fan of Kingston because of the quality and this drive suits me just fine.

The Complete Open All Hours - Series One-Four [1976]
The Complete Open All Hours - Series One-Four [1976]
Dvd ~ Ronnie Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Open all hours, 11 Mar. 2012
I've always loved Open All Hours and the box set pulls all the episodes together. Ronnie Barker is perfect as Arkwright the tight-fisted corner grocer and he has perfect foils in David Jason as his nephew Granville and Linda Baron as his object of desire, Nurse Gladys Emmanuel. The writing is tight and focussed and gives all the cast plenty of time to shine. There has been criticism of Ronnie Barker using his stammer to get cheap laughs in it's being insulting to genuine sufferers - I don't know how they feel but to me the stammer is very much in character and does not come over as intentionally insulting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2015 8:34 PM GMT

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 (1 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 (1 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, 6 Oct. 2011
I've used Kaspersky antivirus software for a few years following a review I read in PC Plus which rated it higher than Norton or Macaffee. So far I've been happy with the protection. So when renewal time arrived I purchased the 2012 product. It loaded very easily without my having to uninstall the previous version; I'd installed it a few days before expiry of the existing version but the new licence catered for this and the 365 days countdown did not start until the existing licence exired, a nice touch. I especially like the Safe Run procedure for accessing web sites (though it does warn that the program is not entirely secure for 64-bit systems) with the facility to download files to an isolated Kaspersky directory which ensures nothing untoward can happen.

Brother HL-2270DW Compact Wireless Mono Laser Printer
Brother HL-2270DW Compact Wireless Mono Laser Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother HL-2270DW wireless printer, 1 Sept. 2011
I'm very impressed with this printer. Previously had a Brother 1200 laser printer but at 10 years old it was not worth replacing the toner cartridge when it became empty. The HL-2270DW was very easy to set up as a wireless printer - just followed the instructions in the Quick Setup Guide to connect it to my local network then used the accompanying CD to load drivers onto the network computers. I thought my previous printer was reasonably fast but the new one is much faster - and it prints on both sides of the paper automatically if wanted. All in all, I'm delighted with the purchase and the price was very good too. The delivery was very fast at just 2 working days from order.

Logitech Webcam C300 - 1.3MP
Logitech Webcam C300 - 1.3MP

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent home webcam, 22 Aug. 2010
Bought this after reading reviews on the internet. Does just what I want for video-telephone on skype and price on amazon gives excellent value

The Singing Sands
The Singing Sands
by Josephine Tey

5.0 out of 5 stars Josephine Tey Classic, 22 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Singing Sands (Paperback)
Although a not-in-vogue writer, Josephine Tey's plots are still excellent by today's standards. With none of today's frantic pacing, this crime novel benefits from a slow development which allows room to explore the detective's surroundings.