Profile for Ammonite Music > Reviews

Keep On
Keep On
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Album, 1 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Keep On (Audio CD)
I would'nt say I am a big Will Young fan judging by the singles output, but I stumbled on this album and gave it a go.

I was so surprised at the funkiness of the album and the songs really make you wanna dance, they are so full of energy. The arrangements are spot on, in my opinion. Not at all what I expected from Will. A very well mastered complete album, not a single filler.

On the strength of this album, I listened to his second album, again very surprised. I would say both are very cutting edge for an artist who came from a reallity show.

My conclusion about Will Young is, his singles which are more or less middle of the road, are aimed at the masses, but a very rare thing has occured with Will Young. I think his album tracks far outweigh the singles he has released off them.

You go Will, Keep on doing your thing.

Loving it.

Yanni Voices
Yanni Voices

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and well thought out, 28 April 2009
This review is from: Yanni Voices (Audio CD)
I have to say, before I bought this album, I read the other review on Amazon which gave the album 1 star. I never make a decision solely on reviews as, at the end of the day it is personal tastes and opinions. I am glad I did not listen to the review.

What this album does is it show's how Yanni's music can be altered and manipulated be given a whole new feeling and depth.

I love the original recordings as instrumental pieces and also love the way vocals and melody lines have been added here. Sometimes to be fair you can't help but listen to the music more so than the added vocals because you know the pieces so well. This does not take long to overcome.

This could have gone horribly wrong but it works a treat here. You have a mixture of opera, pop, ambience and 4 vocalists who's voices are so very different. You also still have 3 tracks which are instrumentals.

If you are a follower of Yanni's work, he has always tried new ideas instrumentally. Here, he is experimenting with vocals with the help of Ric Wake and together a great album is produced.

Have a listen. You won't be disappointed.

Neither Fish Nor Flesh
Neither Fish Nor Flesh

5.0 out of 5 stars The most underated album ever, 21 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Neither Fish Nor Flesh (Audio CD)
I think this has got to be one of the most underated albums ever. Even though at the time TTD did seem to be arrogant and above his stations, I feel his attitude in the limelight totally overshadowed this masterpiece. I must admit that when I first heard it I loved side one (I had it on vinyl when it was first released) and was never sure on side 2 but it's one of those albums that the more you listen to it the more you get hooked. To say there is a standout track would be very difficult as there isn't a single track on this album which is filler.

The album is also like a journey so you need to put it on and actually listen to it as opposed to play it in the background while entertaining guests. In usual TTD style the album covers quite a few genres of music but the one which is most prominent is "FUNKY". Even today, I can put this album on and discover new sounds which I never noticed before. When you listen to it, you really feel that you are watching TTD (even though he played most of the instruments on the album) and his band performing it live as the production is fantastic and the panning on different sounds creates a real live feel for the album.

I will admit on first listen you may not be that impressed but give it a chance and you will be hooked. Of all his albums I (for some reason) tend to listen to this one the most. Maybe it's because it was his weakest seller and I feel I'm the only person who ever rates this album. To me, this album was never a flop, it was just ahead of it's time. I have since bought it on CD and it sits proudly amongst my TTD albums.

Go buy it and you will see what I mean.