Profile for Eleimon Gonis > Reviews

Content by Eleimon Gonis

Eleimon Gonis "eleimongonis" (Bristol, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Sennheiser MX685 Sports In-Ear Headphones
Sennheiser MX685 Sports In-Ear Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! And then some!, 17 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, I've had these bad boys for over a day now and I have used them in a range of settings and they keep surprising me pleasantly time after time!

When I first got them, I used them on my laptop situated in my study to try them out in a natural setting. I listened to Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" song on YouTube for a very important reason, explained below. They were great! The sound was clear and crisp at the same time. The choice of song was not random, as the opening bit features a message being left that when played on the laptop is not overly clear! But, the earphones made it absolutely clear to even hear what the message was that was being left! Incredible!

Then, I tried them out when running! Once again, they were brilliant! When I tried them on and started listening to my own playlist on my phone, they did a very good job making sure everything was loud and clear and certainly not with an overkill of bass, as some of my previous earphones used to do (will not name names!)! Even at half volume, I had no problem running, listening to my music, but also being aware of what's happening around me, so I don't get run over!

Finally, I tried them in a gym and I cranked it up, as I really wanted to hear my music and not the one forced on me by my gym! Once again, these earphones delivered flawlessly!

Now, onto more important things. They are an absolutely brilliant fit too! I have a relatively weird left earlobe (I guess it's because my sister used to pull on it when I was younger!) and no earphone ever sat correctly. Not any more! As soon as I put these one ones, that was it. You see the innovation (or very smart thing, call it whatever you want!) is that they come equipped with the slide-to-fit system, which means that anyone can achieve an individual fit, regardless of the shape of their ear! The little rubbery things that attach themselves onto your ear canal are also great, as they ensure that each earphone stays on for as long as YOU want it! I had this issue with left earphones especially, but not any more. A 45-minute work out on the treadmill in the past meant that I'd have to fish my left earphone about 10 times, whereas this time I didn't have to do that at all!

Finally, they come with a range of different adaptors, which cater for all needs and wants and an equally impressive black pouch to put them in. Last, but not least, at around £26 per pair (although I did not pay, as I'm an Amazon Vine reviewer) these are a bargain! You are, after all, buying something that Sennheiser and Adidas developed together and in my opinion they got this one absolutely spot on!

Philips DVT 3500 Digital Recorder with Auto Adjust Recording and Telephone Pick-Up Microphone

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, yet slightly clunky!, 15 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have ordered that for my girlfriend, as she started a course and wanted to record the facilitator.

On the plus side, the digital recorder is very efficient and it records every little thing. It's also incredibly easy to use and comes with a 2GB memory, which lasts for quite a few days. It can be further expanded to 32GB through external memory, but I think the existing memory will be enough. It comes with rechargeable AAA batteries (via USB) and it is quite compact and discreet.

On the negative side, however, it is quite chunky relative to some other competitors. I picked up a Sony only a couple of days after trying this Philips out myself and the Sony one was smaller and lighter. However, the Sony one did not do a very good job of recording my voice as efficiently as the Philips one, but that might be just my biased opinion!

All in all, the Philips recorder is a very intuitive piece of equipment, it does its job brilliantly plus you get a nice black pouch to carry this good-looking item in style!

Tefal Blendforce BL305840 Blender with 1.75 L Plastic Jug - Black
Tefal Blendforce BL305840 Blender with 1.75 L Plastic Jug - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with a mind of its own!, 7 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, the Tefal BlendForce is very easy to put together, quite lightweight (more about that later on!), easy to take apart for washing and appealing looking.

But, these are just about the good things I can say about it. I used it for the first time to make some hummus and then again to make some tzatziki (yes, you can spot the Greek background there, can't you!) and the results were ok-ish...

First of all, the noise! Oh, my God, it was like a plane taking off. My girlfriend was right next to me, yet I could not hear what she was saying!

Secondly, when working, it does not feel sturdy at all. One gets the impression that the blender has a mind of its own and wants to go places. Now, this helped me with manipulating it a bit to make sure that everything was mixed, but it did not inspire the greatest of confidence either!

Thirdly, it just did not feel powerful enough to deal with the task. I put the chickpeas and the tahini in first, then added the lemon juice and turned it on. It took a good 2 minutes on the highest setting for the ingredients to start turning into something more pasty, but then I had to tilt it to try and get everything mixed. As soon as I added some water, everything became easier.

Fourthly, the smell! During these two minutes of intense work, it did smell funny. I put it down to the fact that it was being used first time, but then again, it did it again when operated for a longish period of time.

Finally, the jug locking system itself is in my opinion fiddly to say the least. It doesn't feel secure enough and I could just turn it to whatever position I wanted just by holding it trying to stop it from walking!

Overall, good for occasional use, but not something that one would rely upon on a daily basis!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2014 10:12 AM GMT

Vital Baby Nurture 240ml Breast-Like Feeding Bottle (Pack of 2)
Vital Baby Nurture 240ml Breast-Like Feeding Bottle (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars next best thing since...well, the boob really!, 7 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Amazing product...when we first got it, we thought that it would be like a lot of the competing products out there, mediocre. But, we couldn't be more wrong. The wide teat and the surrounding area is very flexible and feels indeed like a woman's breast and nipple, whilst the curvature of the product even makes it as close to the real thing as possible. They are also very easy to take apart for washing and further sanitation, whilst the fact that it came in a two-pack made life easier! Simply brilliant!

TP-LINK TL-WN751ND 150 Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WN751ND 150 Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter
Offered by AC ADAPTORS R US LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, but with a slight aerial issue!, 18 Oct. 2012
I ordered this, as a USB wi-fi adapter was not fit for purpose. Installing it in the desktop was relatively easy. In it went, PC was booted, mini CDROM was inserted, instructions were followed and around 5 minutes later and a few spots of coffee, the card was up and running.

5 hours later and I was still browsing the internet without any problems. Nevertheless, something felt not right, as some YouTube videos were slightly slow to load. Checked for signal strength and it was quite low although not far away from router. I read someone's trick about replacing aerial and I did exactly that and worked a treat.

All in all, a great, reliable product, which is great if you want to upgrade to the n protocol. Nevertheless, it will only support up to 2.4hz, so be aware of this as a potential limitation.

Obaku By Ingersoll Gents Silver Dial Bracelet Watch
Obaku By Ingersoll Gents Silver Dial Bracelet Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars a truly hidden gem of a watch!, 27 May 2012
I bought this watch as a present for my father who's a keen power walker and wants something slim to have with him to keep track of time while he's exercising!

The watch is excellent! It's not only sturdy and very light and slim, but it's incredibly pleasing to the eye too!

Granted, we had to change the battery quite quick, maybe in the first month if my recollection is correct, but when my father took it to the local jeweller, he congratulated my father on the style and quality of the watch.

In conclusion, I might be getting one myself. But, do I really want to start looking my father just yet?

200 Low Fat Dishes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook: Over 200 Delicious Recipes and Ideas (Hamlyn All Colour Cookery)
by Cara Hobday

3.0 out of 5 stars overall good, but perhaps a bit light!, 19 Jan. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, when I got the book, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised as its size is small, which makes it ideal to carry it around should you be visiting or travelling anywhere, but still want to eat healthily; now, that's a totally different matter altogether!

To start with, the introduction to the book immediately sets the scene. This book is not just a recipe book; its aim is to help people eat their dietary habits to the better and healthier foods that one ought to eat in the first place. I like the very clever hints and tips, e.g. replace butter in a baked potato with Greek yoghurt (being of Greek origin, I instantly related to that!) or making bold and unusual vegetable combinations to satisfy the palate. It's also good that the book has short, admittedly, sections on portions, equipment and serving suggestions. Remember, it's all about changing habits after all!

Like some other people already mentioned, the classification of recipes could have been so much better. I can't see why it should be everyday, quick, something special, vegeterian, etc, whereas it could just be meat, fish, pulses, vegeterian, desserts, etc. But then again, that's something easily resolved by one looking at the very handy and informative index at the back!

The recipes themselves stand the test. I cooked the tamarind and lemon grass beef and some other dishes to the exact instructions and all the dishes turned out pretty good; well good enough for those that ate them! so, now here's the main points whilst going through the entire book:
1) All the recipes serve 4. Bickering about portion sizes aside, I think that the ingredients reflect this fact perfectly and the actual portions are quite satisfactory.
2) There are no nutritional values per portion. For a healthy cookbook, that should be something that the author should have addressed and looked into, especially since it's claiming to helping people change their eating lifestyle as it were!
3) There is also quite extensive use of sugar in the desserts. Now, that is a form of fat whatever way one sees it, but then again, a bit of it from time to time does not harm, does it?!?
4) The photos in the book look very nice and mouthwatering. Normally, nothing like the sight of the food you've just cooked, which is not a major issue, but one that might make you doubt your cooking ability ;-)

All in all, this recipe book is good for people who want a slight nudge to the right direction and/or for those who want to behave when travelling, visiting friends, etc. I will certainly keep using it aspiring to make my dishes look like the ones in the nice photos!!!

The Joy of Work?: Jobs, Happiness and You
The Joy of Work?: Jobs, Happiness and You
by Peter Warr

4.0 out of 5 stars good, practical advice to like your job again!, 27 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a born worrier, recently moved in with my partner, arranging a wedding and waiting and preparing to apply for my current job, I was looking for as little help on the worrying front!

The daily exercises form a good framework to work through the process of worrying and as there were many that I found particularly useful, I will be using these in the future if times get more worrisome. This book is very good for this, as once you've worked through it once, you can then pick and choose which exercises suit you and your needs best!

I didn't do (out loud) the verbal (talking) exercises, but instead wrote about them. This was a personal choice as I find talking about worrying embarrassing, but it may work for others!!

Writing down worries is something I find very therapeutic , relaxing and generally relieves the worry in my head, so having structured exercises to focus this was really useful.

This (or any) book will not stop someone being a total worrier, but it helps to relieve the stress of worrying with its variety of techniques suggested.

The Financial Crisis - Who is to blame ?
The Financial Crisis - Who is to blame ?
by Howard Davies

4.0 out of 5 stars dare I say crisis economics for the layperson?!?, 27 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
a true academic's job is to survey all arguments, break then down meticulously and then try to synthesise them into something new that perhaps contributes something new and/or marginal to the existing body of knowledge. Nevertheless, this is all done with one purpose in mind (or at least it should be!): the dissemination of that knowledge to the wider public for their own benefit.

Howard Davies does exactly that, i.e. collects and collates a number of arguments, opinions, ideas etc about who is to blame for the world-wide financial crisis and then allows himself to form his own opinion in an educated and easy to follow way. I especially liked his dealing of procyclicality (chapter 8), the reported shortcomings of the US regulator SEC (chapter 12), his somewhat scathing reference to derivatives (chapter 13), his reference to the very old issue of too big to fail (chapter 16) under his mention of the role of regulation. Also, section D is a must-read with chapter 23 (conflict of interest for CRAs) stealing the limelight, but then again I'm personally biased, as I research credit ratings for a living! Section E includes a very good discussion of the involvement of corporate governance (and its shortcomings of course!) in the whole crisis (especially chapters 27-29), whilst section F allows for a more theoretical approach made accessible to the reader.

Everything of course culminates to Davies's ultimate chapter (chapter 39), where he expresses his own opinion about the combustible mixture that he has been mentioning throughout the book and how this managed to explode in our faces!

In conclusion, and because I'm a great proponent of making academic research accessible to everyday people in a manner that everyone will understand and, more importantly, enjoy, I believe that Howard Davies has managed just that! Very clear and concise way of writing, very reliable references that allow readers to go off and explore more things and a balanced view of how things unfolded!

If you really want a book for the New Year, and you always wondered where your hard earned money went (for the likes of RBS, HBOS, etc), then buy this book...at the very least, you will have a damn good idea about basic economic principles after reading this book!

AVG Internet Security 2012, 2 PC, 1 Year License (PC)
AVG Internet Security 2012, 2 PC, 1 Year License (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars real-time protection and light on the resources, 27 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Granted, competition in the anti-virus software market is fierce! True, there are so many out there and one has to be careful about what they use, especially if one's business relies on technology heavily!

Hence, I've decided to give this AVG Internet Security software a go on the basis of the very good reviews that the free versions by the company have received over time!

So, I installed this on my sister's laptop, which is an old, slow machine, but requires both a firewall and a security solution. The installation process was straightforward enough. However, one big con (potentially) is the whole validation process one has to go through with waiting to receive the full licence number via e-mail (or any other format) before fully operational. I consider myself fortunate for receiving the licence number only 2 minutes after the provision of my email, but there have been mentions of hours before being able to finalise the installation.

Since then, I let AVG run a full scan on a laptop that hadn't had a proper check in over 6 months. It worked brilliantly and was not very demanding on an old machine as I expected. Also, I went on a couple of websites for my niece and nephew to be kept busy and either play an online game and/or watch short clips (of playmobil especially!) and the software managed to pick up and block a couple of potentially harmful adware, etc. Granted too that if you want Family safety, you have to fork out extra, but nowadays one can set up one's own restrictions on Windows, etc.

All in all, a reliable software for perhaps a computer that is more vulnerable and you want to protect by putting behind a firewall and anti-virus! Don't expect miracles, nevertheless, just good old AVG protection in action!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9