Profile for moonstone > Reviews

Content by moonstone

moonstone

Cooler Master CM Storm  QuickFire TK - Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Brown Cherry MX Switches and Full White LED Backlit
Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire TK - Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Brown Cherry MX Switches and Full White LED Backlit

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first impressions...., 21 Jan. 2015
This was a gift and my first mechanical keyboard (Brown Cherry MX - White LED). I was instantly impressed by the feel of it. I thought that Brown Switches would suit me best as they are balanced between good for gaming and typing. They didn’t disappoint. They have a subtle bump about half way down the stroke which is more evident if you push slowly. I’m still bottoming out my key presses, it’s going to take a bit of time to get used to it. The problem with bottoming out your keystrokes is that it suddenly becomes quite a loud board, almost like having clicky switches. I also noticed that the Spacebar, Backspace and Enter keys almost rattled and made a horrible tinny noise when you press them. It was frustrating because the rest of the keys sound great and they must have the same switches. I put it down to perhaps it being the case for all boards struggling with the larger keys, so did my best to ignore it.

The backlight is great. There is a white back plate behind the keys (each one is individually lit) which reflects the light to give it a more pronounced look. The lighting is very even across the board and its nice having the different modes too. They’ve even used a good font. I like the fact the pop out legs which angle the board have rubber feet so it won’t slide around. Cable routing is also considered so there’s a channel down the back in order to send the braided, detachable cable out the sides or back. Being heavy makes it seem really sturdy as well.

And here’s where the gloss suddenly came off.

I enjoyed the board so much I wanted one for work, but knowing I couldn’t get away with a backlit gaming board, looked at the plainer options with Brown switches. I settled on a Ducky Zero 2108 BUKLLA. I didn’t know a great deal about Ducky, I had heard of them before but that’s it. It’s actually amazing how different and, it pains me to admit, better it feels, despite having the same switches. The keys seem to glide easier in comparison but the bump is still there. Bottoming out is a lot more muted and the Spacebar and Enter have a glorious thud, no rattles whatsoever. The Backspace does have a slight tinny noise but still less than the CM.

It became obvious that CoolerMaster have pandered to the gaming community and concentrated on the looks rather than the overall feel of the board itself. The Ducky Zero is their most stripped back, basic board. They have nowhere to hide if it feels bad. It actually scares me how good their premium boards must be.

You could argue that at approx. £79 the CM Quickfire TK is a low end mechanical gaming board but I expected it to feel just as good as the Ducky Zero, they both have Brown switches after all. I managed to source the Ducky £10 cheaper too.

I wouldn’t replace my CM, it’s still very respectable. But should something ever go wrong with it, I’ll be looking elsewhere.

I would have given the CM Quickfire TK 3.5 stars out of 5 but have rounded down to emphasise my surprise/disappointment at the difference between the two boards I've tried.

Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B Quiet Top-down CPU Cooler
Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B Quiet Top-down CPU Cooler
Offered by Equinox Japan | Shopping from JAPAN!

5.0 out of 5 stars ZZ Top.....Down Cooler, 19 Nov. 2014
Its good, but for some reason I was expecting more.

I recently moved my PC into a HTPC case which meant my trusty Thermalright HR02 Macho had to go. It also meant I had to say goodbye to my hefty overclock as I didn't fancy the big money hit of a decent water cooler.

What I settled on was this. It would fit my case, gets mixed but fairly positive press reviews and is reasonably priced.

Anything had to be better than the stock cooler for my FX 6300, right?

As I primarily use my PC for gaming I have only given numbers based on testing this way. I am yet to run it through Prime95 or OCCT.

So, my FX 6300 at stock speeds.....

AMD Stock Cooler:

Idle = 30C
Load = 55C

Scythe ZZ:

Idle = 25C
Load = 47C

'Load' is approximately an hour of gaming on a AAA title ie. Battlefield 4 or Farcry 4 and then using the 'max temp' given in the HW Monitor program from CPUID.

The numbers aren't bad. Its an improvement, but I still feel underwhelmed. Maybe its because my HR02 sustained a 4.7Ghz OC and never topped 50C, even after the rigours of Prime95. That was in a different case though (CM 690 III) and its about 3 times the size....I need to move on! Purely out of curiousity I may attempt a mild overclock to see what happens, I will update the review.

At the end of the day I'm happy with it. What's great about the Scythe over the Stock AMD is that its so much quieter. There's no weird grating/clicking noises coming from the fan. Its pretty much inaudible above my case fans. I also liked how easy it was to fit. I left my motherboard in the case to do it and it was a little fiddly but didn't take long at all. It uses the AMD stock fixings but has its own clips, really simple and straightforward. It would have hung over my RAM but I was able to turn it through 180 degrees so that it hangs over the VRM heatsink instead, this may actually aid overclocking? I was forced into this because of where the optical drive bay/2nd HDD goes in my case but it would have easily cleared my Kingston Genesis RAM.

I would recommend this cooler but only if you have space constraints and/or a tight budget. There are similar priced but larger coolers that would probably perform better, the Hyper 212 EVO for example.

The backbone of my spec for reference:

- AMD FX 6300 CPU

- ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 MB - Fan profile set to 'Standard' throughout. (Changing to 'Turbo' may improve temps further, I worry about how loud it would become though)

- Coolermaster GX 650w PSU

- Silverstone GD09 HTPC case with 3x120mm fans (mixed brands)

EDIT:

Using OCCT I've got my FX 6300 running at a stable 4.315Ghz. Due to some of the aggressive settings I've used in BIOS, OCCT is actually showing it topping out at 4.458Ghz under full load, it hits 59C with these numbers, below the recommended safe temps for extended use (~65C). Pretty astonishing. I'm sure its helped having a great case but I'm amending the review to 5 stars. Using the same method of testing as before, my idle is now 31C and Load (gaming) is still 47C. Very pleased with these results.

Artis Wireless PIR Motion Sensor Ceiling Light Battery Powered Mini Automatic Porch LED Night Light
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Its been great so far..., 5 Sept. 2014
I've recently added a few PIR lights externally and now fancied something extra for the front of my house. I wasn't expecting much given the price I paid but I've been pleasantly surprised.

I'm using it externally in an open sided porch in order to illuminate the front door a bit more. Its well tucked under the roofing so isn't exposed to the elements at all. I wouldn't be confident using it where water may come into contact with it as there is no seal to the battery compartment. The battery cover is held on by two small, but strong, magnets. It came with a self adhesive pad which holds it well where I have mounted it.

The light it produces has a blue tint and not massively bright but enough for my purposes. The sensors seem to be working correctly and it has never failed to come on when its been needed.

If the price stays low, I'll probably buy another for my shed.

As I've only had it a few weeks I don't feel confident giving it the full 5 stars, but its been great so far.

Master Lock Integrated Chain Lock Nylon Sleeve 1000 mm
Master Lock Integrated Chain Lock Nylon Sleeve 1000 mm

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks the part, but that's it........., 14 April 2014
Didn't buy the chain from here but wanted to write a review.

Thieves cut staight through this chain and stole my bike from a shed. It's weight and looks might deter kids but hardened bike crims will easily get through it with hand tools. My advice is to invest a bit more in a Sold Secure Silver or Gold (preferably) rated option instead.

Helly Hansen Men's Mount Prostretch Fleece Jacket - Black, Medium
Helly Hansen Men's Mount Prostretch Fleece Jacket - Black, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect...., 20 Mar. 2014
I was after a cheapish, nice looking, decent branded fleece to replace some tired hoodies I wear to work. Its performance wasn't really under too much scrutiny as it'd be a mid layer or an indoor, sweater replacement. Having looked at lots both in stores and online I stumbled across this one and despite the not so favourable reviews, thought I'd give it a go.

I tend to buy Medium sized clothes and did so here and I have to say the fit is perfect. It manages to look fairly smart due to its fit which is a bonus to me as It means I can wear it in more situations. It's very lightweight and feels really good, comfortable, not cheap like some of the ones I've come across. It is quite thin but provides enough warmth for my uses. All the stitching and seams also look nicely done and reinforce a feeling of quality. The pockets are large and lined with a nice soft material. The slight stretch it has doesn't bother me at all. I only realised it did stretch by pulling it about a bit.

I'm really happy with it, especially at the price I paid (£25).

The only negative thing I can think of is that the zip pulls have a sort of thin, rubber strap attached with the Helly Hansen branding on. These tabs extend the length of the zip to make them easy to find/pull. However, I worry about their durability a bit. If they snap, you're left with a very small zip. I'm nitpicking though, it wouldn't be a problem.

I'd recommend the fleece to friends and definitely buy another if the need arises.

New - Sony PS3 Laser Lens + Deck (KES-410A/ KES-410ACA/ KEM-410A/ KEM-410ACA) + Nextek® Torx T10 Security Screwdriver
Offered by Nextec Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars My PS3 lives to fight another day...no thanks to me..., 15 Jan. 2014
I have a PAL, 80GB, chubby PS3 (CECHM) which started to get disc read errors. At the time, thought it was a goner, so boxed it up and left it in the electronic graveyard that is my loft.

I only recently started to search for ways to fix it, primarily due to the release of Gran Turismo 6, one of my favourite series'. Also as a buffer to stop me buying a PS4 (which I will end up doing I'm sure).

A few quick searches and Amazon came up with a plethora of options. I'll be honest, I didn't know which model my PS3 was when I ordered (still tucked away in the loft, cold...lonely...). This deck and laser offering from NEXTEK seemed to cover all the bases and came with a Torx screwdriver so I took a bit of a gamble. Turns out I was fine.

It arrived within the estimated delivery, nicely protected and boxed. There are no instructions with it so to speak just links to NEXTEK's website which offer tutorials and some generic spiel about the company.

Looking at the item, it didn't give the impression of 'new'. There were some screw head marks and dirt around some of the mounting holes, parts of the frame also looked a bit grubby. I won't dwell on this though as it may be completely innocent, testing or whatever, just reporting what I noticed.

Now, and this was my mistake, I ended up watching a very half baked tutorial from someone doing this replacement job on a USA version PS3 and assumed it'd be the same. It wasn't. But due to the fact I thought I'm now a qualified engineer because I successfully took the lid off, I'll fumble my way through. Fumble I did.

After doing my level best to ruin all of its innards, so much so, its now only identifiable by its dental records, I managed to remove/install/put back together my PS3. There is no way in hell this is working I thought to myself.

My gast was flabbered when it not only turned on but loaded both games and Bluray discs seemingly quicker than ever before. A success! It did feel like luck more than skill, so there was no outward celebration, just a doff of the cap to a brilliant piece of electrical wizardry, the PS3. Nothing should have to go through my ham fisted approach and yet it still fired up with gay abandon.

In summary, NEXTEK supply a great way to resurrect a spluttering PS3, I would use them again. I can pretty much overlook the component's unpolished looks because the main thing is it works. I have knocked a star off all the same, for the marks and grime, maybe harshly. I have this little nagging suspicion it may be a refurb? An explanation would reassure but I guess time will tell. If I get another 4 years out of it then I'm not too bothered.

My only advice would be to make sure you find an appropriate tutorial and watch it a few times before you take this on. Also, double check your model number. Sounds obvious, it should have been to me, but wasn't, the whole process deserved a bit more respect.

Special mention has to go to my PS3, astonishingly durable and will never be forgotten, even when I get its successor.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very suprised indeed..., 27 Nov. 2012
I had set my sights on a gaming mouse of the Logitech variety for a while, thinking I would happily spend in the order of £40-£50. Then I started looking at the budget end of the market just to see if I could save some money. Up popped Perixx. I'd never heard of them before and was slightly dubious a firm could produce a decent mouse for £5.99, which is what I paid. I couldn't have been more wrong.

As it was so cheap I thought, 'why not', even if it breaks, at this price I can just buy another.

I've notched up about 15 hours use so I thought I'd write a quick review.

Its actually quite small, which I like, another reviewer describes it well, as the back of the mouse sits under my knuckles, I'd say my hands were medium. It has a matte, powder coated type finish which gives a small amout of grip (useful for clammy hands!). There are rubber inserts down the sides where your thumb and little finger sit, this provides more grip and the rubber doesn't feel cheap at all. There are handy forward and back buttons where your thumb sits (right handed) which work well whilst internet browsing. The wheel has large rubber teeth and is nice and wide making it easy to use. All the buttons worked out the box, I didnt need extra drivers. Overall I found this mouse very, very comfortable for both gaming and AutoCAD. Its nice having the option to select the dpi so I can change between them easily for work/internet and games, you can notice the difference, it isn't a gimmick (with it being so cheap I worried about this) and it tracks great on both wood and the mouse mat that I've tested. Whilst it says the buttons aren't programmable, which is true, all the buttons are recognised in games so you can map the different buttons to different things 'in game' which is as programmable as I needed anyway.

Im really happy I chose this mouse instead of spending 8 times as much on a recognised brand with a few extra features that I probably wouldn't make use of. If it lasts and I hope it does, this will be one of my finest purchases for price/performance ratio. I honestly can't fault it so far.

Panasonic ES-RT81 Wet and Dry Triple-Blade Men's Shaver with Clean and Charge Station

4.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic has the quality..., 13 Jan. 2011
I bought this shaver to replace a very tired all-in-one trimmer I was using to shave with. I needed one which could get through 4-5 days worth of stubble as I often go without shaving for a while. The ES-RT81 does the job nicely. It does take a while when It's quite long and you often have to use the flip out sideburn trimmer to tidy up all the hairs that escaped the cut, but I can live with that. The battery goes down in 20% increments and a shave usually uses 20%, even a long one. That's a decent return if you're going away for a week and dont want to take the charge dock as well. It provides a very close, smooth shave which im not used to but the more I use it the more I like it.

As Im only shaving maybe 5-6 times a month I haven't really put the cleaning dock through its paces, I do use it after every shave but I always rinse the head and detachable blades first. I read this helps prolong the cleaning solution (sold separately, one included). It does mean you have a nice clean, fresh smelling shaver which is well worth it. I haven't used it in the shower or for a wet shave so can't comment on its ability there.

The only real negatives I can think of is that I've experienced a few pulled hairs whilst shaving. Three of four each shave, this is probably due to the length I'm trying to cut. It's also fairly chunky and although the head moves around to follow your face, I never quite feel like its utilising the full width of the blade.

If you're shaving every day or every other day then I would highly recommend this shaver. If, like me, you want to go a few days between shaves just be aware that it takes a while and you may experience the odd pulled hair.

Overall Im very happy and glad I paid the extra for a Panasonic.