Profile for Jim Jackman > Reviews

Content by Jim Jackman

Jim Jackman (Ireland)

Hide and Seek: The Irish Priest in the Vatican who Defied the Nazi Command. The dramatic true story of rivalry and survival during WWII.
by Stephen Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Hide And Seek, superb read., 27 Mar. 2011
Hide And Seek by Stephen Walker.

Fergal Keane, author and BBC Foreign Correspondent describes Stephen Walkers Hide and Seek as a really thrilling book and in this assertion he is totally correct.

Days after reading it I found myself thinking about and analysing the many emotional responses it evoked within me. The book is well researched and well written and once I picked it up I couldn't put it down. Having watched films associated with Father Flaherty's daring escapades in Rome during the Second World War, when I saw the book on the shelves I didn't think twice about buying it. I wanted to know more about this fascinating human being. I wasn't disappointed. He was truly inspirational and Christian in all whom he came into contact with.

His nemesis SS Lieutenant Colonel Herbert Kappler was also an interesting character. Directly responsible for many of the atrocities carried out in Rome during the war period, his continued justification of being a soldier, having to take orders lead me to be believe that "self delusion" is a human trait easily acquired and latched onto.

One wonders in an era where the Catholic church have come under much attack worldwide over their response and handling of clerical child abuse (and rightly so) why a man of the calibre of Hugh Flaherty has not got more acknowledgement for the thousands of lives he was responsible for saving. The Vatican needs to acknowledge this amazing man.

This is a good story, it's a true story and Stephen Walker tells it very well. I look forward to reading further responses to this inspiring book.

Jim Jackman