Profile for D. Smith > Reviews

Content by D. Smith

D. Smith (Staffordshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Handheld Camera Stabilizer, LESHP Mini Handheld Stabilizer Handheld Video Camer with Quick Release Plate 1/4" Screw For Camera Video DV DSLR Nikon Canon, Sony, Panasonic Up To 4.4lbs/2killogram (Black, S-40 )
Offered by delicacyOZdex

5.0 out of 5 stars Stabilizer, 20 May 2017
This is my first stabilizer and I’m very happy with it, I found it pretty easy to set up, took about 5 or 10 minutes of adjusting to get it balanced and once it’s set up it takes no time at all to take it off and put it on again and build quality seems very good. There’s absolutely no doubt it does what it’s meant to, it takes out all the harsh crashing and vibration that you just cannot avoid when filming handheld while walking.

The only criticism I could make is it’s not what you’d call lightweight, when I have a lens on with some weight to it, it is a bit of struggle to hold, I really couldn’t use it for much more than a couple of minutes which is fine for me because I can’t see I’ll ever have any need to use it for any longer than that. Saying that though that is pretty unfair criticism because it costs (as of May 2017) just over £40, it’s not going to be perfect, if you need the absolute best, effortless to hold stabilizer you’re simply not going to get one at this price, you’re going to have to pay hundreds or even thousands. This though does the job brilliantly for the casual user at an extremely reasonable price so it gets 5 out 5 from me.

California Scents Cars Cents - Gardenia Del Mar
California Scents Cars Cents - Gardenia Del Mar
Offered by QF Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars California Scents Gardenia Del Mar, 20 Sept. 2016
This is the third California Scents I’ve had and up to now I’ve been very happy with them. The last two I had were Golden State Delight and Coronado Cherry both had a good smell that filled the car and lasted for at least two months.

This Gardenia Del Mar smells pleasant enough, it’s sort of like potpourri with banana. The problem though is it doesn’t smell very much, I can only smell it when I put it right in front of my nose. I put it in the same place in the car as the previous two and I just can’t smell it at all when I get in the car, therefore I can't really give it anymore than 1 star.

Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung SSD, 25 Jun. 2016
One of those things you kick yourself for not buying sooner, not only has it given my laptop an extra 200 GB of space but it is like a whole new computer. Everything just opens instantly. Before, even opening Word or Excel would seem like it was too much to ask but now there's no delay at all. I only have one game on my laptop and again start up time is cut down massively but crucially I'm able to run it at higher graphics with less lag. Boot up time is probably the most impressive thing though, previously I had to leave it about 5 minutes before I could even attempt to use it (even straight after de-fragging) but really it needed a good 10 minutes for it settle down so things would open up in a reasonable amount of time. Now though, I'm not kidding, within 30 seconds of pressing the power button programs open with no delay at all.

Karrimor Bodmin IV Weathertite, Men's Trekking and Hiking Shoes
Karrimor Bodmin IV Weathertite, Men's Trekking and Hiking Shoes
Price: £31.07 - £97.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Karrimor Bodmin, 23 May 2016
My only issue with these so far is they don't feel as tight as I would ideally like, a size 8 is usually spot on for me but these feel slightly too big. Also the metal lace holders don't allow the lace through very freely which makes it a bit of pain tightening them up and also it will wear out the laces faster.

Glenfiddich 12 Year Old Whisky, 70 cl
Glenfiddich 12 Year Old Whisky, 70 cl

4.0 out of 5 stars Glenfiddich 12, 3 April 2016
Glenfiddich 12 takes quite a bit of stick from whisky snobs and the only reason is because it's one of the best-selling malts in the world so it can be considered as a whisky only for beginners or the not very serious single malt drinker, it is indeed a very good introduction to malt whisky but it does not deserve the criticism it receives because this is an excellent whisky. We all have different tastes so of course there will be those that just won't get along with it but anyone that says this is a poor quality whisky doesn't have a clue what they're talking about or is probably just getting too caught up in elitism rather than the appreciation of the spirit.

The most prominent flavour which I think no one can deny is fresh pears, there is also a fair bit of vanilla, some floral notes, I also pick up a slight touch of Bourbon which I don't find that often in single malts despite the fact that they are matured mostly in ex-bourbon casks. I also notice a sort of cereal/grainy, almost earthy element to it which I believe comes from the way Glenfiddich heats its wash still's, which is the traditional method known as direct firing that very few distillery's still do because it is not as efficient as internal steam heated coils but it does contribute to the flavour. There are some sherry casks in the mix but the influence is quite subtle on the nose and palette, however, it's on the finish where the use of these casks really shows up the most. It has to be one of the best and most interesting developments to the finish of any of the younger malts (up to 12 years old) I've come across.

It isn't quite up there with the best whiskies I've had up to 12 years old or that can be got at around £25 - £30 (such as Bunnahabhain 12, Highland Park 12, Glendronach 12, Balvenie 12, Glengoyne 12 & An Cnoc 12) and that is mostly because it is designed to be easy going and non-intimidating to appeal to a wider range of pallets. So it's not quite dynamic enough to be considered among the best of the entry level single malts but it's a great dram and always very enjoyable whether you are completely inexperienced or a connoisseur.

Airwick 28375 New Car Wick Air Freshener
Airwick 28375 New Car Wick Air Freshener

2.0 out of 5 stars Air Wick New Car Air Freshener, 16 Mar. 2016
I think the best way I can describe the fragrance is pot-pourri with fresh citrus fruit, it's actually very similar to a urinal cake or floor cleaner. Not a horrible smell but doesn't resemble a new car in any way which appears to be extremely difficult to replicate since no one seems to be able to do it successfully but still I thought this would have a more interesting smell to it that wouldn't remind me of going to the gents.

Durability wise it is fairly strong for about the first two weeks then it seems to die off quite a bit (even though the level of liquid hadn’t hardly gone down) but maintains a noticeable aroma for another two or three weeks. I’ve had it in just short of two months now, there is plenty of liquid left and it is still working but it is fairly weak.

If they called it something that was more closely related to the fragrance, something like 'Crisp Citrus' or even 'Fresh Car', I probably would give it 3 or 4 stars but to call it 'New Car' is totally inappropriate and misleading.

Joop Homme Wild Eau de Toilette for Men 200 ml
Joop Homme Wild Eau de Toilette for Men 200 ml

1.0 out of 5 stars More like Joop Mild, 14 Jan. 2016
I first came across Joop Wild a couple of years ago in a perfume/aftershave shop in Tenerife where I literally went round the whole shop and tested just about every men’s aftershave and Joop Wild was the one that I liked the most. While it is different to the original Joop you can recognise it as being in the same family.

So why the low rating? Well the reason will come to no surprise to those that have looked through just about any aftershaves reviews on Amazon. Yes, it’s the issue of the longevity of the fragrance. Whether it is fake as many people suggest, I’m not sure, the packaging looks fine (although without looking at it side by side with a bottle I know is 100% genuine it’s hard to say for sure) and the scent itself seems spot on. When I tested it in Tenerife the one or two sprays I put on my jacket sleeve lasted with a good strength for at least a couple of days, mine from Amazon has a reasonable strength for a couple of hours at the most. There is not a doubt in my mind that there is something not right with it. Also just to add to suspicion that it could have been tampered with, the box did not come wrapped in cellophane which I believe it should. So the issue is I think that it has somehow been diluted or is bad batch or something because my bottle is not as strong and does not last anywhere near as long as I know it should. You also have to consider the price, I know Amazon have great prices on almost everything but the difference in price compared to other major aftershave retailers is enormous, I mean for the same price of a 200ml bottle on Amazon you would only get the 30ml at most places, maybe the 125ml if you land on a good offer.

It is worth mentioning I bought this from a seller called Petite-Boutique,however it was fulfilled by Amazon.
How Amazon are allowed to get away with this is baffling but my solution to the problem is simply not to buy any aftershave from Amazon again.

Wireless Gaming Mouse, TeckNet DELTECK 9 Buttons Professional Wireless Gaming Mouse, 24 Month Battery Life, 800/1200/1600/2000/2400DPI Adjustment
Offered by Innovation Goal UK

2.0 out of 5 stars TeckNet M288 / 2400 DPI, 8 Oct. 2015
What a brilliant mouse, build quality its excellent, it fits the hand so comfortably and the surface has a really nice feel to it. All the buttons have a good quality click to them and the extra buttons are really useful. It has x2 DPI buttons in front of the scroll wheel, a ctrl, alt, shift near your thumb and another one just to the left of the left button called the firepower button which can double click in a single click which is really handy.

ADDITION 28/02/16 - Had the mouse a few months now and the scroll wheel has issues, sometimes it doesn't respond and sometimes it scrolls up when you scroll down, therefore I have knocked it down to two stars because I can't live with it like this for much longer.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't last any where near long enough, 6 Oct. 2015
'Evening Air' is along the lines of mens deodorant with and a touch of floral and a bit of a soapy element.

'Midsummers Night' is sort of the opposite way round to Evening Air, with quite a heavy soapy note (very nice soap) and a touch of mens deodorant.

'Midnight Jasmine' is unsurprisingly very floral, a bit soapy with a slight touch of citrus.

All the air fresheners smell very nice, however, as others have experienced, the smell really dies off after just a few days. One to two weeks later they are completely odourless. It says on the back to get a longer lasting smell, leave it in the packet partially opened but when you do that you can hardly smell it.

Drones
Drones
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Drones, 12 July 2015
This review is from: Drones (Audio CD)
I think Muse is about the greatest band ever but I’m a bit disappointed with this album. Mercy and Revolt are absolutely magnificent songs, it’s worth buying the album just for those. The rest of the album though doesn't quite do it for me, wish they would just focus on doing more of the upbeat stuff which is what they’re best at.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7