Profile for Avid reader > Reviews

Content by Avid reader

Avid reader

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Severed Souls: A Richard and Kahlan Novel (Sword of Truth Book 3)
Severed Souls: A Richard and Kahlan Novel (Sword of Truth Book 3)

1.0 out of 5 stars This was a waste of money!, 3 Nov. 2014
David Gemmel was brave enough for one of his characters to state in his second series of books 'We seem to have experienced / done this all before.' Now we have Richard disappearing off to the underworld where he will no doubt reappear having saved the lost souls; we have Kahlan having been dying, but now ok having been saved by Richard; we have an army that seemingly can't be destroyed now marching through the land led by the baddy and the second in command for the bad guy is seeking to take over and be just as bad. Also, Richard has been betrayed by one of his group and a well known face dies. Within the book itself there are so many repeated paragraphs where the characters are having anxiety crises and they repeat the storyline again, just in case you didn't read the previous four repeats.
I really do feel like I'm reading the 1st series and 'Blood of the Fold' all over again, but mixed in with new characters. I didn't want to buy this book on kindle, because of the repetitive nature of the first few books in this series. I succumbed in a weak moment thinking that maybe it would change and now I realise I wasted my money. Stupid me for thinking it would change.

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
Wrote the wrong review for the Nelson Touch, but I'll try again. This was brilliant and I couldn't put it down. A lot of technical bits and totally believable.

The Nelson Touch (Ark Royal Book 2)
The Nelson Touch (Ark Royal Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 9 Jun. 2014
Read this from start to finish in a day. It was amazingly believable and one of the best technical sci-fi's I've read. May not suit some people, but a fantastic read for me.

The Tomb of the Dark Paladin: The Chronicles of Llars Volume IV
The Tomb of the Dark Paladin: The Chronicles of Llars Volume IV

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent, 9 May 2014
I've been waiting for this one for a couple of years and wasn't dissapointed with the story. However, the spell checking worked again in that the words were spelt correctly, but I don't think anyone proof read it? Words out of place, double words in a sentence and sentences not making sense. Also, in the story people appeared and disappeared in the story line with no explanation. One bit where hero is battling with invisible assassin, his ex best mate and disappears off into a flaming vortex. About two chapters later hero appears out of flaming vortex, no ex best mate and happens to rescue a couple of other people having a bad time. Ex best mate and assassin then appears later on in the book with the arch baddy having no link to trying to kill his best friend.

I have been waiting for this book for two years and the read was great, but the inconsistencies and bad proof reading were abysmal. Lets hope the next book in the series is properly checked.

The Valhalla Prophecy (Wilde/Chase 9)
The Valhalla Prophecy (Wilde/Chase 9)

3.0 out of 5 stars I've read this before!, 9 May 2014
If you are reading this as the first of Andy McDermotts books then it's good, fast paced, villains and totally unbelievable. It does kill time on a train or aircraft and for a first time read of his style is ok. However, if you are reading this as book 9 of his style, then just go back and read one of the first few books again and save yourself some money. Bad guys capture Nina, loads of angst between Eddie and Nina, Nina saved and good guys save the world for the 9th time from dodgy villains who have somehow evaded discovery from other crime organisations. I thought it would have all ended happily at book 8, but no there is a tired theme limping along.

The Target (Will Robie Book 3)
The Target (Will Robie Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Far fetched in places, 9 May 2014
A good read from start to finish, but there were places where I wondered why I was still reading it. Two Westerners travelling through North Korea with a guide and not being noticed as different? An American helicopter flying off a warship through a heavily militarised country and no air alert either on the way in or way out? Other than that - fast paced and different story lines running.

Ark Royal
Ark Royal

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, but very similar to other older Sci-fi, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Ark Royal (Kindle Edition)
I felt like I'd read this before, because there were similar trends to other books. However, a very good read if you need to wait for a flight or on a train and need a time filler.

Command Authority (Jack Ryan Book 9)
Command Authority (Jack Ryan Book 9)

3.0 out of 5 stars Same theme again, 19 Jan. 2014
If you read the last book about China then this one isn't much different, but it's about Russia. However, many books ago China was trounced when Jack Ryan Senior became President; and after that I believe Russia was sorted out as well. If I remember rightly, India and Iran should therefore be coming back on the horizon again, but with Ryan Junior and new technologies involved. By current estimates Clark is about 75 and still actively killing people.

Almost becoming Dan Brown and expecting us to buy books without noticing that it is really becoming repetitive.

Gentle read, but not impressive anymore.

LADIES SEXY NAUGHTY NIGHT NURSE FANCY DRESS COSTUME 3 PIECE
LADIES SEXY NAUGHTY NIGHT NURSE FANCY DRESS COSTUME 3 PIECE

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, but did the job, 23 Dec. 2013
Hen night a great success. Re-usable, maybe a couple of times. Great night had by the girls. Other people seemed to like them.

King and Maxwell
King and Maxwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Will Robie or King and Maxwell, 23 Dec. 2013
This review is from: King and Maxwell (Kindle Edition)
I haven't read a King and Maxwell before, but I did read the last Will Robie. So, how is DB going to keep these two themes apart? I thought I was reading the book after 'The Hit,' but obviously I wasn't. The two types of books could run down a very similar format, so maybe one set of people will need to die out? Good book to read, yes, but exceptional - no.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3