Profile for Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog > Reviews

Content by Gareth Wilson ...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 500

Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata Times Blog"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BETA Adult  Shepherds & Setters with Lamb Dry Dog Food, 12 kg
BETA Adult Shepherds & Setters with Lamb Dry Dog Food, 12 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for my Shepherd, 25 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst I do like to try new quality dog food products for my babies, at times you have to get something that is breed specific in order to make sure that they're not only healthy in general but not overfed and starting to ptu weight on (and lets face it we're all guilty of spoiling our canine furbabies.)

What this product did for my Shepherd was make her not only happy but it looked good to me, gave her a meal that was easy for her to digest and all round has allowed her to enjoy food without me having to worry about whether she'd have a reaction out of either end. (As she has done on cheaper foods.)

All furbabies require a good quality diet and as an owner who likes to know what I'm putting in for myself, why woulnd't I check the same for them?

Price wise it is more expensive than a lot of the shop brands but the difference in coat and energy is clear for all to see. Add to this that my GS loves to go with me up to the lakes for a day out and you know that her favourite sport (of acting like a speedboat in the water to get her stick) gives her so much pleasure makes me feel happy that I'm doing the best all round for her. Great stuff.

Second Nature Adult Turkey and Rice Hypoallergenic Complete Dry Dog Food, 12 kg
Second Nature Adult Turkey and Rice Hypoallergenic Complete Dry Dog Food, 12 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Food for your Canine Furbaby., 25 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a person who beleives that anyone in the house is to be treated as a member of the family (be they flesh or fur) I've always kept a careful eye on whats in the various foods for my furbabies. Whilst some seem to have some quite mysterious ingredients listed, the higher quality products have a solid list of things you recognise and get to know what works well for your pets digestion.

Yes its more expensive than the cheap products or shops own brand foods but lets put it this way, its the difference between a generic chicken that the shops sell for £3 or a free range organic corn fed chicken that you can easily not only see the difference with but taste the difference. Taking care to get good quality products in a pet food allows easier digestion for your furbaby and if they have a sensitive gut will help cut down on upset belly's and lethargic pets due to them not feeling well.

The diffreence is pretty obvious from the moment that you open the bag. My dogs caught a whiff of this from across the front room and came belting into the kitchen trying to get as much as they could, yet whilst it didn't look all that to me (as it was fairly grey) they just couldn't wait to get their jaws into it. (So much so that I had to clear up some slobber.) They wolfed it down, swapped bowls on the off chance thier friend had left any (fat chance) and with them having had it for a good few days, its shows in thier coats which are glossy as well as clearly showing in thier bowel movements (OK not the best thing to talk about) which are good and solid. They have plenty of energy and at the end of the day, if my furbabies are happy so am I, plus knowing what they're putting in gives me a good feeling that I know that I;m doing the best I can.

The Traitor (The Carnivia Trilogy)
The Traitor (The Carnivia Trilogy)
by Jonathan Holt

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 23 May 2015
The third book in Jonathan’s Carnivia trilogy and one thing I really tend to love is getting a whole tale in one book without the worry of forgetting what’s gone before. I love a good crime mystery and when you throw the mucky side of dark political machinations into the mix to muddy the waters you know that there’s going to be plenty of twists and turns.

Back this up with a murder story that has plenty to keep you guessing, an author who loves to play tircks upon the reader with a good amount of sleight of hand and all round it was a tale that I loved to not only spend time with but one that kept me thinking long after the final page was turned.

The Washington Stratagem
The Washington Stratagem
by Adam LeBor

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great read for me, 23 May 2015
To be honest when I want a thriller, I want to be kept on the edge of my seat right the way through. I love being in the middle of the excitement and whilst this book promised everything I love, it was title that didn’t supply me with the octane I was expecting. Don’t get me wrong it was an OK read but for me it was more of a mystery than a Thriller with huge lulls in the pace throughout.

The characters within were OK, the prose middle of the roadish and all round wasn’t a title that, for me, stood out from the masses of others out there. Sadly for me, not a title I’ll be returning to any time soon and sadly Adam will be further down my TBR pile.

Plague Land
Plague Land
by S D Sykes

4.0 out of 5 stars Will make a cracking series, 23 May 2015
This review is from: Plague Land (Paperback)
I love a book that makes the readers ask questions as well as giving you a glimpse into the past and that’s exactly what this title does for the reader. Hidden within this gem of a book is a tale of murder, a principle character unprepared for the life he is about to undertake and when added to those who would abuse power warring against what is right, it creates a tension that will keep the novel turning throughout.

The prose is solid with dialogue that furthers the story but for me the real triumph is the principle character who I not only learned to love fairly quickly but was one I wanted to see succeed in the position for which he had absolutely no training, leaving him to hit not only the floor running but having to juggle a good few issues at the same time. All round a cracking read and a title that I hope will be expanded into a series. Top notch.

Defiant Unto Death (Master of War)
Defiant Unto Death (Master of War)
by David Gilman

4.0 out of 5 stars Just can't get enough of Blackstone., 16 May 2015
The second book from David in his cracking Master of War series and one that I’ve been waiting for for what feels like forever. Not that I’m an impatient reader but when you get treated to a story that really resonates, that gives you a principle hero that you love spending time around as well as a lead character that has to struggle to make his own way in the world all round gives me a book that I just can’t put down.

Yet whilst the first is the announcement, it’s the second that sets the pace for whether a writer can be an author as they have to stick to deadlines and produce a title of the same level of quality as a book that they may have spent years on polishing to within an inch of its life. Here a great many writers fail and sink without a trace but when an author rises, the second novel for me is the one that chooses how far up the TBR pile they start.

For me, David not only matched the quality of the original but for me exceeded it. I loved the way that Thomas carries on growing as the tale unfurls. The supporting cast is crisp and when added to an overall arc that really keeps the story moving at quite a clip, I’m more than a happy reader. Great stuff.

Lord of Ashes (Steelhaven: Book Three) (Steelhaven 3)
Lord of Ashes (Steelhaven: Book Three) (Steelhaven 3)
by Richard Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Absoutely cracking series, 16 May 2015
I’ve pretty much enjoyed this cracking series by Richard Ford since I picked up the original and with each successive novel the author has not only managed to help grow the world in wonderfully vivid colour but also presented characters that expand with it. Its definitely a great piece of solid writing, the prose is sharp and when you get to the action sequence s they really take your breath away. All round a series that I can’t get enough of and one that will be at the top of my TBR pile for quite some time to come.

Day Shift (Midnight Texas 2)
Day Shift (Midnight Texas 2)
by Charlaine Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't work for me, 16 May 2015
Whilst I’ve dearly loved a lot of Charlaine’s work there is something about this Midnight series that just doesn’t work for me. The sentences feel stunted, the characters flat and all round left me feeling that this was a person writing under a famed name only slightly changed.

For me as a reader I disliked the characters, hated the prose and all round felt more than a little cheated by spending quality reading time on a book that let me down. Sadly a series I won’t be reading any more titles in and here’s hoping that as a reader that the next set of texts by Charlaine will make up for my loss of trust.

The Book of Phoenix
The Book of Phoenix
by Nnedi Okorafor

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure reading pleasure, 16 May 2015
This review is from: The Book of Phoenix (Hardcover)
I’ve had the pleasure of reading Nnedi’s work before and for me she is an author who always manages to bring a beautiful story to the reader. The descriptions are wonderful and with top notch prose as well as characters that you want to spend time around, all round generates a tale that is nigh impossible to put down.

Add to this an identifiable writing style and an overall arc that will make you smile as well as believe and you really can’t ask for more. An absolutely cracking title and one I’m recommending to a good few others.

Looking For Madeleine
Looking For Madeleine
by Anthony Summers

1.0 out of 5 stars Biased and completely misrepresented, 16 May 2015
This review is from: Looking For Madeleine (Paperback)
To be honest, if you’re interested in the Madeleine McCann cae and you want an unbiased review of the whole case then you really don’t want this book. The authors sadly side with the family right from the get go and continue to not flag up inconsistancies throughout their “investigation.”

Its a book that feels more like a propaganda statement for the family rather than anything to present the facts in the manner in which the novel is portrayed in the description. All round, pretty much an epic fail for me as a reader and one that I want to make others aware of so that they can borrow it from the library (if they have to read it.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20