Profile for Mr. K. L. Longmore > Reviews

Content by Mr. K. L. Longmore

Mr. K. L. Longmore "Covkid1945" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Shadow District
The Shadow District
by Arnaldur Indridason

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 5 Aug. 2017
This review is from: The Shadow District (Hardcover)
Good novel, if a little simplistic compared to the Erlendur novels. I enjoyed it.

The Lives of Tudor Women
The Lives of Tudor Women
by Elizabeth Norton

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, well structured, 5 Aug. 2017
A good read. Much that I already knew, but well presented and generally informative in a well-structured book.

Why Did You Lie?
Why Did You Lie?
by Yrsa Sigurdardottir

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good story, best I've read of Yrsa's novels so far., 20 July 2017
This review is from: Why Did You Lie? (Paperback)
Clever story, with a somewhat evil twist at the end. Very good story, well written - indeed, the best Yrsa novel that I have read so far.

Of Cops & Robbers (Kahn & Pescado 1)
Of Cops & Robbers (Kahn & Pescado 1)
by Mike Nicol

4.0 out of 5 stars Good yarn, good atmosphere, 20 July 2017
Very much the atmosphere that I remember from 15 years or so ago. A good yarn, and has a kind of ring of truth about it.

The Silence of the Sea: Thora Gudmundsdottir Book 6
The Silence of the Sea: Thora Gudmundsdottir Book 6

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 26 May 2017
Good story, well told. I can recommend it.

Someone to Watch Over Me: Thora Gudmundsdottir Book 5
Someone to Watch Over Me: Thora Gudmundsdottir Book 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, unusual subject matter, excellent read, 26 May 2017
Excellent, unusual story, well written, and the ending can't be guessed. Some pretty dark material in it,. Recommended.

Names for the Sea: Strangers in Iceland
Names for the Sea: Strangers in Iceland
by Sarah Moss

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read and informative, 26 May 2017
Good read. Some reviews say "hilarious"; no; some of it is quite amusing, but some it far from amusing. Overall, you'll learn a lot about living in Iceland if you read this book.

My Sister's Bones: 'A gripping rollercoaster ride of a thriller that keeps you in there right to the last page'
by Nuala Ellwood

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 17 May 2017
Very good story, imaginative and credible. I wasn't quite sure about how it ended, but nevertheless a good read.

Genuine Nokia BL-5H Battery For Nokia Lumia 630,635,636,638 1830(mAh)
Genuine Nokia BL-5H Battery For Nokia Lumia 630,635,636,638 1830(mAh)

5.0 out of 5 stars as good as original., 21 Feb. 2017
The battery is every bit as good as the original. I am very pleased with it.

HD Mini Portable Projector, Meyoung LED Pico Projector Gp70 Full Color 150" 1200 Lumens Home Cinema 800*600 Resolution 1080p Video Projectors for Movies, TV, Party and Games (GP70 Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but don't expect it to perform like a business projector!, 29 Jan. 2017
I received the projector quickly, and it was well and safely packed. When I read the instruction book, before switching it on (yes, some people do!!) I was a bit concerned to see that, in contradiction of the listing, it isn't recommended for Word or spreadsheet files. I went for this one because the listing said that it was suitable for presentations by using the computer and a UB or VGA link - exactly what I wanted it for.

I also found myself concerned to discover that i couldn't turn the focus ring.It was jammed. I persevered, and managed to free it; but I have to say that it is rough and feels quite difficult to use. I also found that the optical keystone correction changes the focus - not ideal.

However, it worked straight out of the box (apart from the focus) and I hooked it up to my MacBook with a VGA cable. The picture appeared almost instantly. So I then ran a presentation file. It does work for presentations; but you have to be careful with colors. It doesn't like red! Probably because it uses LEDs, which have a natural bias to blue. But if you pick a dark blue background, with white, yellow, or pale green lettering, it's fine. The contrast is a bit lacking to do black on white. I tried different picture settings, only to find that Standard is best. The definition is about on a par with early incandescent digital projectors. In other words, not very sharp. So you need to use a large font size - i use 28-36 point for text, 44 point for headers - and it's best if you use a BOLD font.

For the price, I'm not disappointed. I agonized whether to buy a used incandescent projector, or a new LED one. I think the LED one was the right decision. It's much better than not having a projector, and with a bit of care, the results should be fine for my purpose, and the risk of a very expensive bulb blowing is not there.

It's early days yet, and I have yet to use it in anger. But providing you don't expect it to perform like the latest bulb type at several times the price, I can't see anything much against it. It's good value, easy to use, and compact. On that proviso, I can recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8