Profile for michel boucaud > Reviews

Skyfall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars what a waste., 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
Never been a Bond film fan but as far as light entertainment is concerned,some earlier films manage to keep the viewer hooked to tolerable stories.
Skyfall is mind-destroying garbage with a silly plot and dreadful acting.
What on earth is Sam Mendes, the highly respected director of American beauty and Revolutionary road fame doing getting involved in such a daft film?.I am so disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 1:55 AM GMT

The Quick and the Dead: Fallen Soldiers and Their Families in the Great War
The Quick and the Dead: Fallen Soldiers and Their Families in the Great War
by Richard van Emden

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Forgotten, 7 Oct. 2012
An engrossing,thoroughly researched,well-written and extremely moving book about WWI and its impacts on the people left behind and British society at large.
In less than 2 years'time,we will 'celebrate' the centenary of the beginning of this horrific conflict.It is our duty to ensure that this war does not totally recede from our consciousness.This wonderful book should be read by millions.
It reminds me of the great channel 4 documentary series entitled Not Forgotten from 2005/2007 presented by Ian Hislop and the equally outstanding tie-in book by Neil Oliver. The tv series is still unavailable on dvd ! Heart-breaking.

The End: Germany, 1944-45
The End: Germany, 1944-45
by Ian Kershaw

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary book., 8 Aug. 2012
Being fascinated by this topic,I always assumed I knew enough about Germany in the final year of WW2. Antony Beevor's marvellous book BERLIN and the riveting German film THE DOWNFALL were among my main sources of information. How wrong could I be ! Ian Kershaw's magisterial and compelling account of how and why Germany went on fighting to the point of total destruction and disaster is extremely illuminating and gripping.Well-written and engaging,this is a magnificent and disturbing exploration of Nazism in its death throes.Unforgettable!

Afgantsy: The Russians in Afghanistan, 1979-89
Afgantsy: The Russians in Afghanistan, 1979-89
by Sir Rodric Braithwaite

4.0 out of 5 stars Afgantsy, 5 Aug. 2012
This is a remarkable,fascinating and immensely informative account of the ten long years spent by the soviets in unruly Afghanistan in the 1980s.It is a rigorous feat of historical scholarship and intelligent analysis. So why 4 stars and not 5 ? maybe because despite its outstanding qualities,the book is never as gripping,disturbing, heartbreaking or unforgettable as I would have wished.Orlando Figes,the unchallenged master of Russian history, might have succeeded here. However, my advice is still to read this very good book as soon as possible.

City of Fortune: How Venice Won and Lost a Naval Empire
City of Fortune: How Venice Won and Lost a Naval Empire
by Roger Crowley

5.0 out of 5 stars History at its best, 27 Nov. 2011
I am in awe of Mr Crowley. Having read and thoroughly enjoyed his first 2 books Constantinople 1453 and Empire of the sea.,I did not expect a third masterpiece in a row. Well, Venice, city of fortune ranks among the best history books I have ever read.
I have spent the best part of my last 20 summers touring around the Venetian lagoon;I never looked properly !I have learnt more from reading this wonderful book at home than from my unfortunately misguided visits.
The history of the rise anf fall of Venice as a great maritime power is an absolutely terrific story.The 4th crusade and the sacking of Constantinople, the response to the rebellion in Crete, the savage war against their bitter rivals from genoa,etc show the writer's prodigious ability to develop unforgettable,emotionally textured characters and stories.
And when you think that early on'' the city's prosperity rested on nothing tangible-no land holdings,no natural resources,no agricultural production or large population.There was literally no solid ground underfoot.''
Next time, Mr Crowley could end up writing about the most uninteresting topic, but I will be the first one to rush and buy it.

La Nostra Vita
La Nostra Vita
Dvd ~ raoul bova
Offered by VECOSELL

1.0 out of 5 stars A totai letdown., 6 Nov. 2011
This review is from: La Nostra Vita (DVD)
So disappointing.I surely was entitled to expect a lot more from the director of the marvelous MIO FRATELLO E FIGLIO UNICO. The storyline,the photography,the acting, everything leaves much to be desired.One does not care at all about any of the characters.Watching this film is a very painful experience.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 12:58 AM BST

Twice Born
Twice Born
by Margaret Mazzantini

5.0 out of 5 stars top Italian writer., 15 July 2011
This review is from: Twice Born (Hardcover)
I must be honest,I have not read this novel in English but in Italian but if this brief review succeeds in encouraging more readers in the UK to read M.Mazzantini's work,then I will not have wasted my time or yours.
She is a wonderful contemporary writer,her previous novel NON TI MUOVERE being rightly regarded in Italy as a masterpiece by many critics .the film of the same title and directed by her husband is also very moving; unfortunately I do not think that it was properly released in Britain.
TWICE BORN / VENUTO AL MONDO is a very beautiful and harrowing love story,set partly in Rome but mainly in Sarajevo during the horrendous civil war of the early 90s. The unbearably disturbing descriptions of this city besieged by serb forces,the fight of its inhabitants to survive the bullets of the snipers will stay in your mind for ever,believe me.
I cannot say too much about the plot without giving away the various facets of this 'love'story but trust me , read it and you will not forget
Mrs Mazzantini easily.