Profile for Richard Mackney > Reviews

Content by Richard Mackney

Richard Mackney "Richard Mackney" (Derby, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Neewer® BG-E8 Replacement Battery Grip for Canon EOS 550D/600D/650D/700D Rebel T2i/T3i/T4i/T5i SLR Camera, Works with 1 or 2 Pieces LP-E8 or 6 Pieces AA Batteries
Offered by Ultra Sales Global

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes AA batteries, 27 July 2016
I'm in love with this battery grip for my Canon 600D for a few reasons:

1. It takes 6 rechargeable AA batteries which I have a stack of (see my other reviews)
2. It lets me use my Canon Hand Strap E1
3. It was only £18.95

Perfect.

Emgreat Wired Remote Shutter Release for Canon EOS 70D 60D 700D 1200D 650D 600D 750D 760D
Offered by Emgreat (Shipping time 7-15 days)

5.0 out of 5 stars Workswith Canon 600D, 27 July 2016
Lovely simple little wired remote for my Canon 600D. A half press will focus the lens and holding down take the pic. What else could you ask for for £5.99. I used it for a DIY photobooth with external HDMI monitor (see other reviews).

Mini HDMI type C to Stand Hdmi Male cable lead Full HD 3D 1080p Gold plated Connectors

5.0 out of 5 stars Large screen from a Canon 600D, 27 July 2016
I am using this on my Canon 600D to hook up to a large monitor for a DIY kids photobooth. The monitor is in front of the lens and kids can see the live view while they pose and I use a remote release! it's great. I've also used it in a HDMI splitter to send the signal back to a small monitor for myself to view behind the camera (see my other reviews on these items). I deliberately picked a shorter length as it doesn't have far to travel.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Wireless 2.4G Touch Keyboard, Proster Ultra-slim Bluetooth Keyboards with Multi-touch Touchpad for Android Smart TV Box Raspberry PI 2/3 PS3 KODI XBMC Google Android Smart TV Tivo Box Mini TV PC Stick HTPC IPTV
Offered by PROZOR

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Raspberry Pi 2 and Samsung Smart TV, 27 July 2016
The Proster Wireless 2.4G Touch Keyboard worked straight out of the box with a Raspberry Pi 2 and a Samsung TV. The touchpad on the right is great for when you don't have a mouse and just need a keyboard in your living room. I was quite surprised at how the Smart TV detects the keyboard and offers seamless control of the on screen menus. Making it much easier to type searches, web browse or enter passwords. It's very small and light and perfect for the coffee table. Obviously it worked perfectly on a full Windows 10 PC too.

I have the Raspberry Pi mounted behind the TV and powered by the TV USB port (remembering to shut down before turning the TV off) and this keyboard has allowed my daughter to use Scratch and other programming software on the Pi. She can sit in the living room and use the big screen without being tucked away in another room.

It feels solid, has a nice touch to the keys (although I appreciate people are very fussy about keyboard feedback). The on/off button on the back will ensure you don't drain the batteries however it does power down after a period of non-usage. At the current price of £16.95 I can't give it any less than 5 stars. There's nothing I don't like. It just works out of the box with no drivers to install.

Note: I was offered this product for free in exchange for a review. I value honest product reviews and these help my own buying choices so I am happy to provide my unbiased feedback for others. Opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any other way for this review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

TP-LINK Archer VR200 AC750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for BT Infinity, 22 July 2016
This is a superb router that replaced the two router/modem units supplying BT Infinity. The setup wizard has everything pre configured for BT (amongst others).

The signal is strong with the three antennas and setting up guest WiFi with reduced bandwidth, a simple password and no access to my local network was exactly what I needed for meetings.

It will take a USB pay as you go 3G/4G dongle and drop onto this if your main ISP goes down. Perfect for a business that needs to always be online.

It's been very stable for months.

Manfrotto Small Advanced Tri Camera Backpack
Manfrotto Small Advanced Tri Camera Backpack

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and bijoux, 22 July 2016
I was looking for a compact daily camera bag for 1 SLR with zoom lens and battery grip and found this Manfrotto backpack. I have a Manfrotto tripod so know that they stand by their quality products.

This didn't disappoint. The base compartment has the usual removable dividers and holds my Canon 600D DSLR well. It only just fits with the battery grip attached (see pic).

There's enough space for a flash and another lens and the top compartment can be used for my daily work bits and bobs - keys, phone, notebook etc. A couple of side pockets take my wallet and MiFi.

I'm currently using only one arm strap with the other tucked away in its storage pocket. There are quite a few different ways to wear this backpack and the sling option allows you to swing the bag round to your front and whip out your camera. The top handle is extremely handy. It looks great with the Manfrotto tripod fixed to the back on the supplied straps. It also comes with a rain cover.

You need to realise this is a really small camera bag and isn't going to take all of your kit. But if like me, you want a small multi functional day bag then this hits the spot and looks and feels like a quality item.

Ps. This would be perfect for a bicycle rider.

Toshiba Flash Air 32GB Class10 Wireless Memory Card/ Wifi SD Card
Toshiba Flash Air 32GB Class10 Wireless Memory Card/ Wifi SD Card

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 21 July 2016
WOW. simple to transfer pictures from my DSLR to my iPhone. Isn't technology wonderful!

Apple iPhone 5 / 5S Case, i-Blason Armorbox Heavy Duty Dual Layer Hybrid Full-body Protective Case with Built-in Screen Protector / Impact Resistant Bumpers (Black)
Offered by I-Blason EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Protected, 21 July 2016
Nice sturdy case for my 11 year old.

Happy Hot Tubs Floating Dispenser + 50 Ultimate Chlorine Tablets 20g Hot Tub Swimming Pool Spa
Offered by Castle Hot Tubs

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and easy, 21 July 2016
I love this for our small 260 gallon hot tub. I close ALL of the vents and put ONE tablet in every 3 days (that's the time it takes to dissolve with all the vents closed). It keep the little indicator strip a nice shade of purple :) I find this much easier than using the granules.

ONEVER Sricam SP009 P2P Home Wireless Wifi IP Camera Monitor with H.264 1.0MP HD 1280 X 720P 30fps Onvif 8M IR Night Vision Two-way Audio Bulit-in Mic Speaker Motion Detection Whistle Alarm APP Notification for Android IOS Device
Offered by Tensee02

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Blue Iris video software, 21 July 2016
For £22.99 I can't help but give this camera 5 stars. Using the supplied instructions it was setup on my local WiFi network within 5 minutes.

I'm not keen on the P2P aspect of this camera. I don't like having to sign up for an account and would be concerned about people getting access to the stream. It's not locked down with a password. There are no instructions for getting remote access to this camera and using the app on the local WiFi was fine, but moving onto 4G the camera could not be found. I suspect my router is blocking the P2P server. I assume It just works for some people. I can forward the ports on my router to this camera - but that's not the 'point' of P2P, you shouldn't have to.

However, as a seasoned IP camera user I'm not interested in the P2P or the app. The camera can be configured to join your WiFi by placing a text file on the micro SD card containing the SSID and password (not documented). Once on the WiFi you can scan the network for it's IP and then connect to the stream using your software of choice (VLC, Blue Iris, Synology Surveillance Station) these pick up on the industry standard ONVIF settings: rtsp://IPADDRESS:554/onvif1

I use Blue Iris and can see, hear, speak and record from any remote location with this camera (in conjunction with all the other cameras I have in different locations).

The micro USB power cable is too short. I have replaced this with a longer micro USB cable and a known brand USB charger (my own preference here) and have simply placed the camera on the top of a cupboard. The constant flashing red LED is annoying but could be considered a deterrent. The camera gets hot.

You can pop the black camera out from it's white holder, this can be handy if you would rather fix it to a wall with your own bracket or just double sided sticky foam if you are not bothered about the speaker on the rear. The IR cut filter works well and the colours are good in the day. Night vision is excellent. You can hear every sound in the room.

To confirm, you can connect to this camera in a number of ways:

1. Use the phone App
2. Use IP Cam Viewer App on local network or via a VPN
3. Use third party video software that supports ONVIF
4. Use Sricam IP camera Device Viewer for Windows
5. Use the web address Sricam provide you with (Norton told me this contained a threat!)
6. Plug the USB cable into your computer (unconfirmed)

This is a great little HD camera which is inexpensive when setting up a multi camera installation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2016 9:09 PM BST