Profile for mr barry maxted > Reviews

Content by mr barry maxted

mr barry maxted

The Village
The Village
by Eleanor Watkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 7 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Village (Paperback)
The Village by Eleanor Watkins is an amazing page turner for any lover of great description. Great suspense. A fab idea to name the chapters after the characters to show different points of view, sometimes of the same thing. A full 5 stars from me!
Olivia, age 10

Fortune's Favourites (Masters of Rome Book 3)
Fortune's Favourites (Masters of Rome Book 3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy!,, 1 May 2014
I have purchased the first four books for my kindle over the last couple of months, went to buy the fifth in the series only to find out that it's no longer available in kindle format, and I would have to buy the whole 5 book series for £15! Shame, as was enjoying the series, but for this fact can only give 1 star. Very poor form from either publisher or amazon.

The Thief's Tale: Volume 1 (The Ottoman Cycle)
The Thief's Tale: Volume 1 (The Ottoman Cycle)
by S. J. A. Turney

5.0 out of 5 stars Another era, another great read, 31 Mar. 2013
Having been an avid reader of SJA Turney's roman series of books, and loved every one of them, I was a bit sceptical about changing genres and reading a story based on the Ottoman Empire, a time in history that I had never read about before. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. The way the author describes the ancient city of Istanbul or Constantinople (whichever one you want to call it!) brings the bustling city to life and makes it easier to visualise the story as it makes its way around the ancient city. There are plenty of twists and turns to keep you interested, with one in particular that had me disbelieving what I was reading!!

As I have said above, not an era in history I had any knowledge of, but loved it and am eager to read the rest of the series to discover more.

Marius' Mules IV: Conspiracy of Eagles
Marius' Mules IV: Conspiracy of Eagles

5.0 out of 5 stars Another top read, 4 Nov. 2012
This is the forth in the Marius series and the author does not disappoint yet again. The battle scenes are as descriptive as ever, painting a very real image of the horrors of battle in the readers mind. The plot twists and turns, leaving you guessing until the last couple of chapters on the final outcome. My only criticism is that I hope this isn't the last in the series! Great read.