Profile for punchdrunk > Reviews

How (Not) to Get Your Poetry Published 2016
How (Not) to Get Your Poetry Published 2016
by Helena Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Critical Friend I Needed, 20 Sept. 2016
I saw this mentioned in Acumen literary journal, which I'd bought following reading an article in Myslexia, which urged writers to subscribe to the independent journals and publishing houses we have in the UK, and, in the way that readers move from one book off a shelf to another mentioned in the first book's pages, I then subscribed to Happenstance, the publishers who publish this excellent book.
For my subscription, I received what amounted to a Christmas stocking full of poetry cards, and pamphlets of poetry and a chapter from the story of the publishing house. Those have kept me busy for a week.
However and, in the same post, I also received this book which I had ordered separately, and that was the Christmas present you get from that aunt you never see but who seems to know you very, very well.
It is a wonderful guide to poetry, most especially because it does at least three things - it tells you exactly what you need to do to be a published poet; it tells you what it feels like to be a publisher and thus what will turn a publlisher right off; it offers suggestions about how to write a poem in the form of writing prompts.
It does other things of course. It sells you some of the poets who are publlished by the press. It makes you laugh. It introduces you to an interesting and engaging character in the person of Helena Nelson. But most of all, it is the guide a poet needs even if they do not know they do, and encouragement to keep said poet going.
I love reading books by writers about their craft and how to follow it - I loved Ursula le Guin's book, "Steering The Craft" and Ray Bradbury's "Zen and the Art of Writing" and NatalieGoldberg's "Thunderand Lightning" amongst others, but this is right up there with the best of them. Buy it!

The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop
The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop
by Kate Saunders

5.0 out of 5 stars the whizz pop chocolate shop, 16 July 2012
This book was a fun,chocolatey and adventurous story.It really inspired me and also was a fantastic book for me to read. This book was so much fun, I wanted to read it again.This is my favourite book ever in the whole wide world and you should read it too.I am reading this book as part of the story lab competition.

High Performers: The Secrets of Successful Schools
High Performers: The Secrets of Successful Schools
by Alistair Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The secrets I already knew, 21 April 2012
Just returned from a seminar at the TES resources show north, and am pleased to report that Sue Marks, Head of Withington Girls' School in Manchester, recommended this book that I myself had read and rated highly.
Perhaps it's because Smith is reinforcing my own beliefs i.e. it takes five to seven years to really turn a school around, so quick fixes can take attention from what really matters; the best leaders say no to bandwagons and new ideas; the best leaders focus on behaviour for quick fixes and slow and steady for putting in place what will really benefit the children (not always the magic 5 A*-C grades; the best leaders use robust data tracking systems, but make them simple and effective to use to improve outcomes; the best leaders build a safe environment with strong school values.
It's an easy read, and offers plenty of examples of good leadership, good management and good teaching - and I was really pleased to have my opinion of the book endorsed by Ms Marks, Head of a spectacularly successful independent school.
If you are a Level 5 leader, whose strengths are humility and a relentless focus on (and optimism about) your core educational values, this is a good book for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2012 5:45 PM BST

Macbeth (1997) [DVD]
Macbeth (1997) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Connery

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Macbeth (1997) [DVD] (DVD)
This must be one of the least known film versions of Macbeth, but one of the best in terms of clarity. I use it for teaching at GCSE, as it follows the script better than most versions, and there are few "artistic" flourishes on the part of the director, just the story told well.