Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Fitbit
Profile for Newthorpe Buyer > Reviews

Content by Newthorpe Buyer

Newthorpe Buyer

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Corpse Bridge (Cooper and Fry)
The Corpse Bridge (Cooper and Fry)
by Stephen Booth

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Peak District shows it's dark side, 23 April 2016
This was my first book in this series, seems there have been many before. I live not far away from the Peak District where the action happens so know well all the locations; maybe this helped me enjoy the book. The central character is, as usual these days, a policeman with issues- in his case the death of his girlfriend in a fire. His feisty female colleague is a bit of a predictable character these days too. However, it is an enjoyable yarn which doesn't require massive concentration, it has twists and turns but it's not one of those annoying tales where you can't remember who did what if you don't read the book right through in one go. Read it if you want a fast paced non demanding who dunnit; oh and if you like the sound of the scenery organise a visit; it really is as stunning as it sounds.

Keep The Midnight Out (William Lorimer)
Keep The Midnight Out (William Lorimer)
by Alex Gray

4.0 out of 5 stars Goings on on Mull, 23 April 2016
An easy read. Bit simplistic in places I thought. Off duty cop finds body on remote island, tries not to tread on local sensibilities, bit formulaic that one. The story is quite entertaining though and as usual, all becomes clear at the end. I found the passages dealing with the wife of the Superintendant tedious at times, I lost count of how many times her miscarriage was referred too; no idea what that added to the story. I felt her character was a bit too "little wifey" for my taste. But, don't let that put you off reading this. It's an undemanding fast paced story for a wet afternoon.

The Sea Detective
The Sea Detective
by Mark Douglas-Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Ocean currents help to solve crime, 23 April 2016
This review is from: The Sea Detective (Paperback)
Enjoyed this one. The subject matter was fascinating; the study of ocean currents and how they move things around the seas. Add to that a fast paced who dunnit and you have a great book for a rainy day. The action is set in Scotland, largely in Edinburgh with understandable coastal trips to the far north and the west. The plot centres around two issues, one being the loss of a fishing vessel from a far northern island many years ago and the second the sex trafficking of young girls from abroad. As unlikely as it sounds these two strands weave together in an exciting and easy to read plot.

Kitchen Craft Colourworks Polyethylene Reversible Cutting Board, 36.5 x 25 cm - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sturdy chopping board, 26 Aug. 2015
Exactly what I needed. I'ts had quite a bit of use now and it's coping well.

The Poisoned Island (Charles Horton 2)
The Poisoned Island (Charles Horton 2)
by Lloyd Shepherd

5.0 out of 5 stars Far flung lands, scary plants and a great murder mystery, 26 Aug. 2015
Having always been fascinated by Captain Cook and Joseph Banks ( no, my son is not called Endeavour!) and being a devotee of historical whodunnits I thought I'd give this a try. Really glad I did. The plot centres around a ship full of botanical specimens being brought back to London from Tahiti - destination Bank's Kew Gardens, and an outbreak of ferocious murders. The twists and turns and the characterisations keep you turning the page. Yes, I could work out what was coming next but that didn't affect my enjoyment. It was a great read for a horrible rainy day. Nice to find a whodunnit that was set in a time other than the Tudors. I'll certainly look out for other books by this author.

Dead Men's Bones: Inspector McLean 4
Dead Men's Bones: Inspector McLean 4
by James Oswald

5.0 out of 5 stars Best McLean yet, 21 Aug. 2015
Oswald is back on form again after what I thought was a slight dip with book 3. This one is the best Tony McLean yet, concentrated on detective stuff with some great plot twists and turns along the way. Fast paced with the usual characters doing the usual things. The Superintendant gets ever further up Tony's nose providing some amusing dialogue along the way. Looking forward to book 5.

The Hangman's Song: Inspector McLean 3
The Hangman's Song: Inspector McLean 3
by James Oswald

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ....but......., 21 Aug. 2015
Really enjoyed the first two in this series, this one maybe not as much. I got rather bored with the issues with Emma, it was all beyond unbelievable. The detective stuff was good, just like the first two books, the final plot twist I saw coming from half way though the book. However, I wouldn't mark it down for that. As usual the characters were well drawn, Tony comes across as likeable and I will be awaiting his next adventure with interest. His dialogues with his boss are comedic at times, I'm sure we've all had bosses like him. To summarise, a decent read but not quite at the level previously achieved.

Extraordinary People: Enzo Macleod 1 (The Enzo Files)
Extraordinary People: Enzo Macleod 1 (The Enzo Files)
by Peter May

4.0 out of 5 stars Scotsman solves notorious French murder case, 28 July 2015
Well, this was a bit different. Scotsman lives and works in France and uses his skills to seek to unravel one of France's most notorious unsolved crimes. As is usual with Peter May it was a bit heavy with the descriptive prose which occasionally distracted from the plot. I got a bit fed up of his minute descriptions of all the roads in Paris where some of the action is set. I know where the main tourist sites are but most of these places meant nothing and I felt I didn't need quite so much detail to enjoy the book. Aside from that it was an enjoyable read, the plot twisted and turned and kept me interested all the way through. I'll certainly look out for more Enzo novels.

The Devil's Workshop: Scotland Yard Murder Squad Book 3
The Devil's Workshop: Scotland Yard Murder Squad Book 3
by Alex Grecian

3.0 out of 5 stars Only average I'm afraid, 28 July 2015
Couldn't get on too well with this for some reason. Everything seems a bit drawn out and pedestrian. Couldn't warm to the characters either. I usually like historical crime novels and this story of Police Inspector chasing escaped criminals seemed promising. Trouble is it seems to take too long to get going and contains unneccesary sub plots. Don't think I'll read any others in the series.

Treachery
Treachery
by S. J. Parris

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruno on the high seas- well nearly, 28 July 2015
This review is from: Treachery (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this. It seemed to flow better than others in the series. Bruno is a likeable character, together with his friend Sir Philip he seems to travel from crisis to crisis; this one happened in Plymouth with the fleet of Sir Frances Drake the scene of much of the action.Yes, of course it's unbelievable, there is no way he could continually extricate himself from danger quite so often. However, his exploits make the story swift moving and compelling. This story didn't seem to get as bogged down in unnecessary descriptive detail as previous ones; I recall skipping bits in the other novels. I didn't need to do that with this one. There seemed to be more humour in this one too, I liked that. If you enjoy historical detective novels then this is for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6