Profile for Quicksilver > Reviews

Content by Quicksilver
Top Reviewer Ranking: 609

Quicksilver (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Unknown (Dummies Junior)
Unknown (Dummies Junior)
by Nick Willoughby

4.0 out of 5 stars Will help you catch the action, 19 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My son has been asking how to make YouTube videos, so I thought this book would be ideal. And indeed it would, though not quite the sort he wants to do. He would like to record his game playing, and add commentary, this book is more designed towards budding film makers.

The book is well laid out with sections on Pre-Production, Which tools to use (which cameras and the like), and Shooting tips - structure, scripts, shot type, recording sound, lighting and direction. There's a section on editing and explanations on how to do things in iMovie and Movie Maker.

All this is done in typical 'Dummies' style, with Tips and things to remember. It also has some important internet safety flags which is good. My boys are a little disheartened by the volume of stuff they might need before starting, but this book certainly seems to cover the basics.

Salter 513 SSCR Stainless Steel Oven Thermometer, Silver
Salter 513 SSCR Stainless Steel Oven Thermometer, Silver
Offered by HoMedics Group

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate Oven Temperatures., 12 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With the new series GBBO looming there's no better time to buy an oven thermometer. Since baking bread and cakes I've noticed tends to be on the low side. Now I can measure the temperature accurately and compensate for any errors. It seems to work well. though at my low-level of baking, I'm not sure I ever actually need one of these. Of course it does now mean there'e one less excuse for why my loaf didn't work. Still never mind, can't have everything. Good, but definitely just a nice to have.

Nivea Sun Protect and Moisture Moisturising Sun Spray Medium SPF 15 - 200 ml
Nivea Sun Protect and Moisture Moisturising Sun Spray Medium SPF 15 - 200 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars SPF 15 and Moisturising., 10 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another great non-oily suncream. I use this one as I don't burn like my kids do, and I have dry sensitive skin. It does the job really well. Will definitely be going with me on holiday

Star Wars Workbooks: Maths Skills - Ages 7-8
Star Wars Workbooks: Maths Skills - Ages 7-8
by Scholastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not underestimate the power of a good maths book., 9 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another impressive workbook in this range. My son, who loves maths, was thrilled with this. It should also be help inspire those who are a little more reluctant. This fits in with the KS1 syllabus. I know the literacy ones have helped inspire my less than happy to write boys!

Rapesco Whale Plier Stapler with 50 Sheet Capacity - Charcoal
Rapesco Whale Plier Stapler with 50 Sheet Capacity - Charcoal

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stationery Staple., 5 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent stapler, not that I have a huge amount to compare it to. Feels good in the hand, easier than a standard staple for doing "in the air stapling". Rapesco staples good quality too.

Star Wars Workbooks: Shapes, Colours & Patterns - Ages 4-5
Star Wars Workbooks: Shapes, Colours & Patterns - Ages 4-5
by Scholastic

4.0 out of 5 stars Yoosa Canna Draw and Paint - Not nearly as annoying as Jar Jar, 5 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another fine Scholastic work book, complete with Star Wars characters to inspire your 4-5 year old to learn those important things like colours and shapes. Note, I think colour should have been the lead word for the book. It's definitely more colourey than shapey. There are lots of fun exercises to inspire little hands to draw and colour, something we're in badly in need of. We've not used this book in anger yet, but it looks like a fun, not too lessony way of teaching your children a few of the basics they need before starting school.

Nivea Sun Kids Moisturising Sun Spray High SPF 30, 200ml
Nivea Sun Kids Moisturising Sun Spray High SPF 30, 200ml

5.0 out of 5 stars We all scream for sun cream, 5 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Right now there's an excellent price on this very good, non-sticky, non-smeary sun cream.
If the weather was bit better, we'd be slathering this on in the morning and taking the roll-ons I reviewed out for the day.

City Trails - London (Lonely Planet Kids)
City Trails - London (Lonely Planet Kids)
by Lonely Planet Kids

4.0 out of 5 stars These Trails Aren't Made for Walking, 1 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We love going up to London and wandering about seeing what we can see. Get away from the main streets and there's all manner of objects of interest to discover. I got this book, expecting to find some walking trails that highlight London's child friendly esoterica. I must confess to being slightly disappointed. The 'Trails' in here aren't trails - certainly not ones you can walk with your kids.

They're represented as point to points investagations of aspects of London, but the points of interest are spread far and wide. The trail 'Special Streets' comes up as somewhere close to a 5 hour walk on Google Maps. This seems particularly bad planning, as all but two of the points can be covered in around an hour, and all but 1, and hour and 3/4.

So my first observation would be. This ain't no walking guide.

Nevertheless, it's still an interesting book. You'll just need to do a bit of advanced planning if you are going to use it. Taking the Special Streets trial as an example, I would definitely make time to visit all of the points on the trail, with the possible of Abbey Road, which is going to be little more than a zebra crossing to my boys.

Just about every trail has at least one thing in it that I will make an effort to seek out. Places, I hadn't heard of or hadn't thought of showing the children. There are 19 trails in all. Including Special Streets,tallest buildings. underground London, foodie London, Wild London, transport, haunted London, fashion London and royal London.

There's lots of interesting stuff here. Beware though, there's no indication of entrance fees, not even whether an entrance fee is required. If you were going to attempt "Wild London's" Kew Gardens, Zoo and the Tower of London, you'd be in for an expensive weekend.

Ultimately this is a child-centred, thematically arranged London guidebook, and a good one at that. It's not a book of "City Trails"

Star Wars Workbooks: Writing Skills - Ages 6-7
Star Wars Workbooks: Writing Skills - Ages 6-7

4.0 out of 5 stars There is try after all., 1 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another impressive Literacy Workbook. This one ideal for those in years 1 & 2. It has lot's of exercises to aid letter formation, but it also teaches about nouns and verbs as the book goes on. The use of Star Wars characters in used to encourage those who find writing belongs to the dark side. Like most of these types of books, your child will only something out of the process if they put some effort in, but if the theme engages them at least you have a chance at getting them to sit at the table. My son was initially enthusiastic, but now he's realised it's still sitting down and concentrating, he's not quite so enamoured!

Scott Of The Antarctic [DVD]
Scott Of The Antarctic [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Mills

5.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Journey in the World., 27 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Scott Of The Antarctic [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great remastering of an old classic. I got this for my wife, who loves all things Antarctic, particularly penguins and The Worst Journey In The World. She had never seen this, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20