Profile for I. M. Gould > Reviews

Content by I. M. Gould

I. M. Gould "onk47" (Derbyshire)

Page: 1 | 2
Poldark - Complete Collection [DVD] [1977]
Poldark - Complete Collection [DVD] [1977]
Dvd ~ Robin Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars 2015? watch this one instead., 28 Dec. 2015
I didn't like the 2015 version of Poldark but my Wife told me how she used to watch the 1975-77 version. After watching this I believe it is far superior than the later one. I enjoyed this as I was drawn in by their lives. Of course everyone has an opinion but give it a go.

My Wicked Heart
My Wicked Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 3 Nov. 2010
This review is from: My Wicked Heart (Audio CD)
This takes a couple of listens. It is brilliant. I didn't like 'Once' and always preferred the quieter tracks on her album but this one has really grabbed me. The Wooping and the drums reminded me of Siouxsie and the Banshees for some reason. I find DV's wild honey vocals infectious and the song, a well put together blast of warm air. This may well be a classic in time but until then I am sure it is just for the fans. On my mp3, on my computer and in my car, I can't get enough of it.

ION VCR2PC USB-Video Player
ION VCR2PC USB-Video Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Patience., 13 Oct. 2010
Great fun. This is brilliant. I can now record off my Camcorder onto Computer and then onto DVD. Patience is a virtue here. I was on the verge of taking this back because my Windows 7 would not load a driver. E-mailing Ion gives no response however if you phone them they are very helpful. Download free driver off website (original software predates Windows 7) and save it to Desktop. Once you have the driver you need to open and install. Load in the rest of the software and off you go. If you are in the UK then you will need the settings on PalB. My only other problem was my image, I could only get black and white until I paused my Camcorder and then the computer received in colour. Play and record, Its great. When you have your recording add to Live movie maker(Windows) to make into DVD/Film. Burn to DVD using DVD maker. As I say, patience and you will not regret it. I would have given this 5 stars if the driver had loaded straight away.

Meeting With The G-Man
Meeting With The G-Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm!, 4 April 2009
This review is from: Meeting With The G-Man (Audio CD)
This is the Rory Gallagher party album. I can see why a Gallagher fan would be disappointed, taking into account his usually high standard. This on the other hand is a poor recording and is not as blues based as some albums. Some of the guitar grates and whines across your ears and the singing is erratic. The good points are firstly that it is a feelgood album and he seems to be having great fun. Secondly, there is probably 70% of bloody good guitar. On the whole, not his best but It was still worth every penny.

One Eye to Morocco
One Eye to Morocco

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last., 4 April 2009
This review is from: One Eye to Morocco (Audio CD)
Ian Gillans last offering, 'Gillans Inn' was disappointing. Too much screaming. I like Gillans screaming but not on almost every song. This, on the other hand, is a breath of fresh air. Mr G. has twelve songs to sing and he executes them perfectly, giving us twelve moods. I am both lifted and relaxed by this album. If you want to hear Purple then buy Purple. If you want to hear a singer at the top of his game surrounded by talented musicians then buy this. At last. Excellent.

The Ballad Of John Henry
The Ballad Of John Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars Eureka!!, 2 April 2009
I was in an HMV store in Burton-on-Trent, checking out C.D.'s that I could later buy on Amazon, when I was stopped in my tracks. Out from the speakers rocked this guitar sound. In my time I have loved Green, Gallagher, Hendrix, Trower, Page, but this was a fresh sound with an excellent Blues vocal. I stayed in there for several tracks until I was compelled to ask the young lady behind the counter what it was. Spur of the moment I bought it (not like me). 'Ballad of....' was absolutely brilliant, straight away I ordered 'Live from nowhere in particular' from Amazon and looked on in disbelief how long this brilliant Blues/Anything guitarist had been banging out albums. I am hooked. 'The ballad of John Henry' is a good place to start. Fantastic! Fantastic! Fantastic! I feel like I have discovered a long hidden gem. Don't let me pursuade you, just listen.

Live 1990
Live 1990

4.0 out of 5 stars Good one for the collection., 24 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Live 1990 (Audio CD)
Apart from 'Back in the box', this is a top notch live album. Although the Electronics are a great part, showing signs of what was to come, at this point they don't overpower. Guitar, drums and violin are alive and kicking. There is enough of Hawkwind for any Hawk fan to enjoy. I haven't heard much of Bridgett Wishart, but personally I can't see why they didn't let her sing more. A punk voice that can, at times, sound haunting. I mention 'Back in the box' because it is included in two different versions. I am sure I will grow to love it but I find myself irritated by it. Personal preference maybe. Anyway, this double album is great value for money and an excellent addition to that treasure trove of Hawkwind.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2015 11:11 AM BST

Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends
Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 8 Sept. 2008
I remember the excitement of waiting for the next album from this trio, when I was a teen. I always seemed to be enthusiastic about the tracks that featured the band but grew irritated at the Emerson solo's that adorn each album. This is no different. I know how talented Emerson is but with me he seems to click like a switch from exciting to boring to exciting again. I can enjoy a short piano solo but.........Anyway this live session is mainly grade one and I have already told you why it loses one star off my vote. The album shows how good they were. There was no other group like them. Worth the money. Buy it and absorb the music.

Otherworld
Otherworld

5.0 out of 5 stars OtherXhawks., 7 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Otherworld (Audio CD)
I bought this on the strength of reviews and was pleasantly surprised. I don't want to take sides over various members of a certain band. I am just thrilled to find the other link and find it is wonderful. A lot of depth in the music and a flourish of lyrical poetry, almost a hint of being back in the early seventies. Not quite the Hawks, this is different. Space Ritual are excellent in their own right and my hat is off to Mr Turner and the band. No hesitation in giving this five stars. I hope the next album follows shortly.

Silver Machine
Silver Machine

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 30 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Silver Machine (Audio CD)
I don't want to give this a star but you have to. Rubbish. Save your money. This appears in different album titles and has deterred would-be fans for so long. Keep clear. Not worth a penny.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2012 8:28 PM GMT