Profile for lead.crow > Reviews

Hurrah for Gin: A book for perfectly imperfect parents
Hurrah for Gin: A book for perfectly imperfect parents
by Katie Kirby

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on more than one level, 2 Feb. 2017
I got this as a Christmas gift. A lot of people have already written reviews saying how funny, clever and true to life this book is, I too found myself laughing aloud many times.

I feel like its important to add that this book isn't just about having a laugh. Underneath the funny stories, and often alongside them, is a consistent message to parents that you're doing a good job. I think this is a really, really important aspect of the book. Between community midwives, health visitors, interfereing family members, competitive mums and internet parenting advice you can end up feeling you're not doing enough, or you're not doing it right. Sometimes your kids do drive you crazy, sometimes they'll only eat a yogurt or a banana for dinner. Sometimes your 13 month old manages to order amazon coins using the remote control and you have to sort it out (yes seriously my 13 month old managed that somehow!). This book makes you realise you're not alone, you are human and actually if your kids are happy and healthy you're doing a good job.

Munchkin Designer Change Mat (Assorted colours)
Munchkin Designer Change Mat (Assorted colours)
Offered by BabySecurity

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant item, 2 Feb. 2017
Absolutely brilliant change mat. My travel system has a wide frame and large handle and the strap of this still fits comfortably. The change mat is easy to fold out, I love the wipe box...saves me spending lots of money on travel wipes. I normally put about 12 wipes in the box but more could fit. I can fit four nappies in the nappy section along with some nappy bags and you could also fit a small tube of nappy rash ointment or small tin of Vaseline. I have a 1 month old and a 13 month old...the baby fits completely on the mat, and the toddler half-fits on the mat which is all you need for a travel mat. I also have some koodi b boxes which are really useful but I think I prefer this as it's easier to open and lay out one-handed. I use it for short trips out and as a downstairs changing station in the house.

Personally I don't care about the colour issue...pink blue or neutral are all fine by me, I can see a lot of people who have left reviews are more concerned about matching certain colours to genders, but as I say, I'm not bothered i just need to change my babies' bottoms!! The only annoying thing about the colour is that if I were to buy this as a gift (which I was considering doing as my friend is pregnant at the moment) I suppose I'd have to consider if the gift recipient was concerned about colour, so that's the only downside I can see.

Koo-di Essential Baby Changing Box  (Green Polka)
Koo-di Essential Baby Changing Box (Green Polka)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, essential item - can't recommend it enough, 13 Jan. 2017
Excellent item, I have two of these (one for each of my kids, purple one for 12 month old and green one for 1 week old!) and I found them useful from the birth onwards...if you're pregnant but one and fill it with the necessities because there's no changing mats or changing spaces in your bed bay, you need to flatten your bed and make a changing space! I'm going to buy one of these as a gift for my pregnant friend.

There's enough space inside for 2-3 nappies and a pack of travel wipes (pampers make small packs of wipes with only 12 in) or you can fit a 2/3 used pack of normal wipes in the wipe section. I also keep a tiny tin of Vaseline and a handful of folded nappy bags in each box...so if you need to nip out in a rush just grab the box you need.

I notice the other reviews say the mat is small and the box is hard to open. The mat is fairly small, I can fit the whole of my newborn onto the mat, and the lower half of my 12 month old on it, but remember this is a travel product, it's designed to be space saving and I don't think it's a problem that the mat is a little small. It might be if you're in a particularly grotty/ unpleasant public baby change room but then I'd recommend using a muslin or something under a larger baby's head...it's really not an issue. The box is not hard to open, you have to press down with your thumb as you unclick it...a long time ago my hubby complained about finding the box difficult to open...when I showed him where to press with his thumb he was just like "Oh. Actually this box thing is really good". So yeah I disagree that it's hard to open I jut think you need to think about how the catch works

Medicina Oral/Enteral Syringe, 5ml, Pack of 10
Medicina Oral/Enteral Syringe, 5ml, Pack of 10
Offered by 247Pillbox

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, not suitable for administering medicine, 14 May 2016
Don't buy from the seller "Nightingale nursing supplies" - Not sterile as described. Smallest resolution was 0.5 ml not 0.2 ml as pictured so totally unusable for me. Not luer ended. Contacted the seller who did not answer my questions about the product. Very disappointed.

Hauck Speed Plus Four Wheel Pushchair - Beige
Hauck Speed Plus Four Wheel Pushchair - Beige

4.0 out of 5 stars A great "second" pushchair, 27 April 2016
EDIT: My original review is below but now I've had this item for 5 months I decided to add some comments. Firstly, it's still a good, sturdy pushchair despite being lightweight. I don't use it regularly (see review below for why - I use my travel system more) but I feel it has lasted well for what my intended use for it was. Unfortunately, there are some issues - I am short (5' 3") but my husband is quite tall and this pushchair is uncomfortable for him to push. The pushchair is lightweight which is good, but when baby isn't in it and you've got a changing bag hanging off the bars it tips over. It can also tip a bit when you're out and about pushing it around. The hood fabric is thin and the hood itself isn't very big/deep - in sunny weather you definitely need a parasol. So all of this leads to an issue in folding- you have to remove the bumper bar, parasol and hood (lots of fiddly Velcro) and put them in a bag, then you need two hands to fold the pushchair, and once it is folded it's really long and doesn't fit on train luggage racks at the end of carriages - only the overhead racks which I can't put it in alone. We've decided to get a new "second" pushchair - the joie mirus (the joie aire light is a good option too) as the hood is deep so no parasol is needed, you don't have to remove anything to fold it, it folds one handed, and I could do this alone on public transport if I am holding baby. If I put baby in her Babasling I could even manage stairs. The mirus is £100-120 but by the time you bought this pushchair for £60 plus another £10 for a parasol you're better off saving up a bit more and buying a joie pushchair.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

This is an excellent pushchair as a "second pushchair". The front wheels swivel fully and the whole thing is very light and easy to manoeuvre. My mum and dad in law bought this because my main travel system is too heavy for my mum in law but she can push this one handed. I also need this for when I take baby into the city for her hospital appointments and feel certain that it'll be appropriate for folding and taking on London public transport. I'll be taking her along with me too so that when the pushchair is folded she can be in the carrier. The pushchair seems very sturdy in the frame but I can't fully comment on how robust it is as I've only had it a month. The bumper bar and hood detatch and can be put into a tote bag if you need to fold the pushchair when you're out and about. The basket underneath is spacious enough for a small amount of shopping, but not a changing bag. I can slide my changing bag into the frame or hang it over the handles, so this isn't a major issue. The seat reclines very easily using buttons at the back, there are four recline positions including fully flat. The five point harness is easy to use and easy to adjust.

My reason for giving only four stars is that this is clearly not a good option for cold weather or very sunny weather. It comes with a rain hood which is great, but if the weather is cold and windy you need a footmuff which will cost you extra and will not allow you to fold the pushchair down, which is an issue for me since that's my main reason for needing it. Also if it's a very bright sunny day you'll need a parasol...by the time you add the cost of a footmuff and a parasol this starts to get expensive. The wheels are solid plastic and there's no suspension...fine for pushing around on well paced areas but not good for bumpy ground or cobbles. As mentioned earlier, the basket is not sufficient for a large amount of shopping, maybe one carrier bag of light items, but that's it. Hence why I think this is great for a "second" pushchair for little outings but you will need a proper, sturdy travel system for day to day use, shopping etc.

theBabaSling Classic Organic - Pebble Baby Carrier
theBabaSling Classic Organic - Pebble Baby Carrier

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST way to wear your baby!, 19 Mar. 2016
From what I've seen there are three main ways to wear your baby - in a carrier, in a wrap or in a sling. I've tried all three and a sling is definitely the best.

Wraps - they are about 5 metres long, a total faff to wrap yourself up in because they're so cumbersome and you have to be careful about creases, tightness etc etc, it drags on the floor and it's also a pain in the neck to take off. A carrier is also time consuming to get on and off although less faffy and cumbersome than a wrap.

This particular sling is a dream. Putting in on takes less than a second - it's like putting on a sash or a messenger bag ...over the head and through one arm and you're done. Taking it off is just as easy if you're not wearing baby at the time. If you have baby in there and want to off you either easily lift baby out, or, as I like to do, lean over the bed or cot until baby is safely in and pop two buckles...perfect if baby is asleep and you want her off without waking her.

If you're not sure about buying this go to YouTube and type in "rebozo baby sling with a scarf". I did this with a pashmina and it's super easy, also baby loved it. The only issue is that a scarf provides no padding along the top and bottom edges (or "rails") so I used a rolled muslin to support baby's head confortably. Also you have to tie the knot each time you do it. If you get the Babasling and carry baby in what they call the "koala cuddle" it's the same as the rebozo tie, but knot free and with padded rails so baby is very comfortable.

My advice - this is the only carrier you'll need, it's easy and quick to use, baby will feel secure and happy and you can test out the rebozo tie in advance...if you like it then you should buy the Babasling

Additional stuff - it's got a nice carry bag that is easy o get it in and out of. It's machine washable. The written instructions are easy to use and the Babasling video on YouTube is really clear.

Premium Baby Carrier | Neutral Grey | One Size Fits All | Cozy & Soothing For Babies | Suitable for Newborns, Infants & Toddlers | Cotton/Spandex Comfort Fabric |100% Infinity Guarantee | Ideal Gift
Offered by REACH Lifestyle Products

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy Babasling instead, 19 Mar. 2016
I found this wrap really difficult to use. The fabric is very long, wrapping it takes a while (when you have a crying baby and want her in her carrier ASAP and with minimum distress) and the edges, which have been finished/overlocked, roll inwards so there's always awkward creases and folds. You're basically paying £25 for a large piece of Jersey fabric. Once it's on it can get quite hot, especially where it wraps around the waist. Getting baby in and out is a chore and when she is in it's not always easy to check her airways are clear - her chin needs to be off her chest and her head near enough to kiss for safety.

What I've written so far applies to baby wraps in general. The funki flamingo one is even worse. The instructions are not clear and they don't include the safety information I have just given you. Secondly, they don't have an instructional video - their video on YouTube is a camera panning over the poor instruction leaflet that comes with the wrap! I ended up looking at videos by other baby wrap companies. Thirdly, they bombard you with emails over and over again requesting positive feedback. One email perhaps checking if I was a satisfied customer would have demonstrated that they care about customers...I had at least four emails demanding feedback, showing that all they care about it getting good feedback.

My advice - go to YouTube and look for a video called "rebozo baby sling with a scarf". I used a pashmina, there's one simple knot and you're done. I tried this with baby and we both liked it - I then discovered the Babasling (also available on Amazon for £25) which is like the rebozo scarf carry but really secure, knot free and padded...it takes less than a second to put on and is the best, easiest carrier ever (I also have an ergobaby carrier that my husband uses which I find complicated). Don't waste £25 on a 5 metre piece of fabric, buy the Babasling instead
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2017 7:10 PM BST

Hedgehog House Golden Brown
Hedgehog House Golden Brown
Offered by Riverside Woodcraft

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, well built house plus a happy hedgehog., 1 Aug. 2015
Very sturdy and safe. We put it in a shady "wild" corner of the garden, but had no visitors. We added straw and a bowl of mealworms. The first night we found the mealworms had gone, by the second day a hedgehog had taken up residence! Tonight we'll take out the food bow, and leave it nearby so we don't disturb the hedgehog again, but clearly this was a worthwhile investment.

GI: How to succeed using the Glycemic Index diet (Collins Gem)
GI: How to succeed using the Glycemic Index diet (Collins Gem)
by Harper Collins Publishers

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and clear, 21 Aug. 2014
Useful and clear, a good pocket size, only downside is that the GI values are only given a traffic light of green, amber or red, rather than numerical values which would have been preferable

The Shoguns Daughter (Sano Ichiro Mysteries)
The Shoguns Daughter (Sano Ichiro Mysteries)
by Laura Joh Rowland