Profile for William Cohen > Reviews

Money Mentor: A Tale of Finding Financial Freedom
Money Mentor: A Tale of Finding Financial Freedom
by Tad Crawford

5.0 out of 5 stars Dance and Grow Rich, 22 Feb. 2017
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I absolutely loved it. I rooted for the heroine of the story - Iris - from the start. The book charts Iris' feelings as she realises she's up to her neck in credit card debt. Her parents have died and she's got university loans to pay back as well. The story is poignant, sad and even lyrical. Tad Crawford writes beautifully - I was struck how strange the subject is for a novel, but it does work as a novel.

I have some experience of DA and UA meetings, so I understood and could relate to the style and experiences that Iris goes through. This is definitely not a dry financial text book - the use of narrative makes it moving and profound.

Captain Fantastic [DVD]
Captain Fantastic [DVD]
Dvd ~ Viggo Mortensen

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting!, 29 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Captain Fantastic [DVD] (DVD)
Somebody I met at church recommended this to me. She was right - it's a great film. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. To a parent it poses lots of difficult questions. I rooted for the characters, while at the same time seeing the absurdity of some of the behaviour. It didn't romanticise things too much. Anyone who endorses Noam Chomsky day is a bit mad in my book. The soundtrack was moving, the set-pieces made me laugh, the ending is uplifting. If you like Into the Wild or Little Miss Sunshine, this is more of the same.

Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
by Richard Rohr

3.0 out of 5 stars Pop-theology - good but occasionally a bit glib, 29 Jan. 2017
This was my first Richard Rohr book. It was easy to read and I agreed with the main theme. The second half of life is very different. I liked the stuff on ritual and the 'discharging of the loyal soldier'. Many of the ideas are modern and familiar. I watched him preach on YouTube and he's challenging and smart. Perhaps because I agreed with most of it, I was disappointed. I was hoping for something deeper.

To Sell is Human
To Sell is Human
by Daniel H. Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars These days we all have to sell - and if you don't agree, you can go to hell!, 22 Jan. 2017
This review is from: To Sell is Human (Paperback)
26 years ago, when I left university, I would have been horrified to learn that I would end up in sales. But here I am. And Daniel Pink is absolutely right, we all have to be in sales these days, especially if we're self-employed.

I work as a speechwriter, and that's where Daniel Pink began, working for Al Gore. All this stuff is relevant to speechwriting - and as speechwriting embraces blog posts, Twitter and other outputs these days, the techniques he passes on about improv theatre, rhyme and one word pitches are fun and worth putting into practice every day.

I'd read about Joe Girard, the famous car salesman, and Dan Pink puts his theories into context. The world has moved on a long way since the mantras like 'Always be closing'. The internet gives us most of what we need to know about products and services. The sales people have to work with that grain.

He tells a nice story about one of the last door-to-door salesmen and gives us some good buzzwords for sharpening our technique for the C21st - his ABC is 'Attunement, buoyancy and clarity'.

His Pixar story structure technique is also just the kind of thing you want as a takeaway from a business book. I was really glad I picked up this book, I'll be working with it for at least the next six months.

Sony Bravia KD43XD8088 43 inch Android 4K HDR Ultra HD Smart TV with TRILUMINOS Display, PlayStation Now and Google Cast (2016 Model) - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars The sort of TV you need in the multimedia age, 22 Jan. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was a welcome upgrade from our previous Sony Bravia we bought about four years ago that had stopped featuring YouTube.

By comparison everything works faster and with more features. Set up was quite straightforward - it was working within an hour of opening the box. It takes a while to get to grips with the structure of the TV/Internet and other services. We were able to dispense with our Virgin Tivo box, which we were pleased to do because it decluttered the amount of wires and boxes in the sitting room.

The fact that you can just press a button on the phone or Ipad and immediately what you're watching on YouTube appears on the big screen is great. It makes searching for obscure videos in French or other languages so much easier.

I like the fact that I can watch Taggeschau - the German news service on this television. In due course I'm sure we'll use some of the film subscription services like Amazon. It probably takes a few months to work out all the functions.

We've got a two year old son - so he's enjoying the Gruffalo and Frozen on the big screen. I'm sure he'll show us how the Playstation works in due course.

Overall, we're very happy with our new acquisition.

Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade
by Robert Cialdini

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes! More of the best from Cialdini, 30 Dec. 2016
I'm a huge fan of 'Influence' so I was intrigued to see if Cialdini could match that achievement. And I can say he has. There are more amusing and enlightening stories and some astonishing insights. It's already changed my behaviour. I write speeches for people, so I've pinned photos of the audiences I have to write for on my study wall. I'm also about to buy a statue of Rodin's Thinker to improve my cerebral activity.

I love how he recommends using a mystery structure to keep his students awake during lectures. His stuff on ageing will come in useful for my birthday speeches. The suggestions about getting your customers in the right mindset will give me inspiration for my website copy.

My text is already marked with underlinings and ticks in the margin. Well worth the price of the hardback!

Money and the Meaning of Life
Money and the Meaning of Life
by Jacob Needleman

5.0 out of 5 stars We don't take money seriously enough, 10 Dec. 2016
This is a fruitful book. I started reading it on a train and kept going. It's chatty and tells the story by describing the people he met in his course on money. It's not practical, more metaphysical. I loved the analogies. It's pompous at times but I didn't mind, I always found myself racing through the chapters. I'm writing a book of my own on money and I found myself underlining many of his statements. Loads of wisdom for a small price!

Inside Out [DVD]
Inside Out [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amy Poehler

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential viewing for toddlers, 26 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Inside Out [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this seven times in seven days. That's what it's like with a two year old who decides he loves a film. It really was worth it. Every detail became clear from the backstory to Bing Bong to the jokes about broccoli. It has something to say about what constitutes emotional health and personal development. Riley is very engaging. The story is actually quite thin, but it's executed brilliantly. Lots of sad moments as well as fun ones.

The Boxtrolls [DVD] [2014]
The Boxtrolls [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Elle Fanning

5.0 out of 5 stars A comedy with intriguing dark undertones, 26 Nov. 2016
This review is from: The Boxtrolls [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
We've watched this about nine times in the past nine days. My two year old has decided he loves it. Not sure he understands much, but he'll stare at it for long intervals. I liked it years ago when I first watched it, but this run has made me realise what amazing craftsmanship has gone into creating this film. Every frame is a portrait. There are historical echoes. It nails a human trait of desiring things that we don't really want or are appropriate for us. Archibald Snatcher is a superb villain. It's funny, sad and profound - what more could you ask?

Classic Boleslawiec Pottery Hand Painted Ceramic Mug 0.35L 053-U-006
Classic Boleslawiec Pottery Hand Painted Ceramic Mug 0.35L 053-U-006
Offered by Vena Pottery Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars For the perfect cup of builder's tea, 28 Oct. 2016
A colourful mug that carries a big quantity of tea. My wife and I fight over it. Lovely detailed paintwork, that stands out in the kitchen cupboard. We're going to buy more of this style.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20