Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for SmokeOnTheRiver > Reviews

Content by SmokeOnTheRiver

SmokeOnTheRiver (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Draper 33894 Metric/ Imperial Combined Long Pattern Hexagon Key Set (30 Pieces)
Draper 33894 Metric/ Imperial Combined Long Pattern Hexagon Key Set (30 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, strong hex keys, 18 Sept. 2016
Highly recommend.

AS-Level Maths for Edexcel - Core 1: Student Book
AS-Level Maths for Edexcel - Core 1: Student Book
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, uncluttered and easy to work from., 18 Sept. 2016
I have briefly used the alternative Edexcel published book for this module and it wasn't the best. It was too simplified down, cluttered and didn't explain things well enough.

This book, however, is the opposite and probably the best you can currently get. I enjoyed using it for my studies and there are a wealth of questions at the end of each topic for you to complete, ranging from easy to hard.

I bought this book used from the seller FatBrainBooks and am pleased to say that their service was spot on. The book was like new and arrived fast in the post.

Laser 3291 Locking Wheel Nut Remover 2pc
Laser 3291 Locking Wheel Nut Remover 2pc

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, 5 April 2016
There's two reasons I'd not recommend these to anybody: The first is the fact that wheel nuts come in different sizes and while you do get two different sizes in the pack, they're still not certain to fit your car. So you're taking a gamble in buying them.

Secondly, while one of them did initially grab onto the wheel nut, they weren't able to maintain their hold while trying to undo them. Again, this is due to sizing.

I would just recommend you go down to your local tyre fitter and get them off for a tenner. Just take it as a lesson learned and take better care of your next locking wheel nut key.

My Grammar and I (Or Should That Be 'Me'?): Old-School Ways to Sharpen Your English
by Caroline Taggart

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A superb book on grammar., 4 April 2016
One of, if not, the best books out there on grammar. It covers a wealth of information and delivers it in an enjoyable and easy-going way.
There are too many english, grammar and punctuation books out there that just have you drooling over your book with boredom within a few chapters, which is why this book has done so well. It does the exact opposite and makes grammar, dare I say, enjoyable to learn.

If you're looking for a book to help brush up on grammar, look no further. Just, please, don't buy it on Kindle. It just isn't that kind of book, and, for some reason or another, makes it less enjoyable to read.

Philips LED E14 Small Edison Screw Mini Globe Light Bulb, 5.5 W (40 W) - Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Brighter and more efficient. Just hope they last!, 18 Jan. 2016
An improvement in brightness over the 40w bulbs I was using, yet uses a fraction of the power.

I'm nowhere near the 18,000 hour mark but as long as it lasts 2 or 3 times longer than the traditional bulbs, I'm happy. The traditional ones were blowing out within 2 months.

Toshiba THNU08HAYWHT(6 8GB TransMemory USB 2.0 Flash Drive - White
Toshiba THNU08HAYWHT(6 8GB TransMemory USB 2.0 Flash Drive - White
Offered by Takazo Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars 5*, 18 Jan. 2016
Cheap and cheerful. Works perfectly.

Duronic Black 15m CAT6a FTP Professional Gold Headed Shielded Network Cable - High Speed 500MHz Premium Quality Cat6a / Patch / Ethernet / Modem / Router / LAN
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars A significant improvement!, 18 Jan. 2016
High quality and durable cable. Has significantly improved my connection speed.

A must buy for anyone wanting to get the best possible connection.

Pentel Energel BL27-A Roller Ball Pen (Medium) - Black (Pack of 12 pens)
Pentel Energel BL27-A Roller Ball Pen (Medium) - Black (Pack of 12 pens)
Offered by OMGHOWCHEAP LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior quality, 14 Jan. 2016
Finding a good pen to write with is a bit like Goldilocks, they either are not good enough, or 'too goo' that the ink pours like a fountain and smudges.

These pens, however, I've found to be perfect. Comfortable to write with, along with a smooth and consistent ink flow which is also quick drying - Perfect for left-handers like myself.

The price they are going for on Amazon are a steal when compared to buying from a high street store where I have bought a pack of 2 for £6.

IGCSE Mathematics for Edexcel Student's Book 2nd Edition: Also for the Edexcel Certificate
by Alan Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite its flaws, this book got me an 'A', 23 Nov. 2015
I originally reviewed this book last year, about two months after purchasing it, as I knew it was good - but not perfect.

Since then, I have taken my IGCSE Maths exam and got an 'A', which I was thrilled about since I got a 'U' when I left secondary school a few years ago and had since taught myself from scratch using, pretty much, just this book.
Although I got an A, an A* is also achievable. I was only a few marks short of an A* and had not practiced any past papers for the exam and had just gone into the exam on pure knowledge.

This book covers about 90% of the syllabus, and this is where it's downfalls lay. Although a comprehensive book, I had to look elsewhere to 'fill in the gaps'.
The book, however, features a wealth of questions for every topic and, if my memory serves me right, review questions at the end of the chapter. It's these practice questions which will have you on your way to achieving an A or, even better, an A*.
Another thing I should mention, like others have already done, is mistakes. Yes, there are mistakes here and there which can be frustrating, but it is not littered with them.

This book also comes with a handy CD which explains subjects, should you find something hard to understand at first (which, chances are, you will encounter - which is normal).
The CD may be handy for some, but I found YouTube to be of better help. But don't throw the CD away just yet, as it contains the answers to the questions in the textbook.

I have a few Maths textbooks, and this one, by far, is the best; Despite its flaws. So I would highly recommend getting another book to complement it to, as I said, 'fill in the gaps'.

At the end of the day, there's no secret formula to doing well, other than the revise, practice, and practice some more.
Give those past papers a try too. Often, questions that come up in the exam are nothing like what you have come across in the textbook, so that's where those past papers will come in handy.

I wish you all the very best in your exams. Despite how hard it can seem, don't give up!

Energizer Pro Charger x 1
Energizer Pro Charger x 1
Offered by Ink Jungle

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives the Duracell bunny a run for his money!, 7 Nov. 2015
The charger is quick and also shows how far charged your batteries are. It also stops charging once they are fully charged and makes a brief bleeping sound once charged.

The batteries themselves are brilliant. They last forever and are ideal for high power demanding devices.
My little brother has put a pair of these batteries in his Xbox controller and they've lasted almost a week with medium-heavy use.

An essential!