Profile for johnnyrockets > Reviews

Content by johnnyrockets

johnnyrockets

Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, Book 18)
Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, Book 18)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lee Child (and indeed, Jack Reacher) never let you down, 11 Jan. 2014
What's the point of reviewing a Jack Reacher novel? The books are all uniformly excellent. You know as soon as you start that it's going to be a great, quick, page-turning read that you're going to keep in you're sweaty little palms until you've turned the last page. Reacher is a bit too much of a superman really but who cares? Entertaining thrillers get my juices flowing and Lee Child is one of the masters - but then if you're a thriller reader you already know this and have probably already read this latest edition. If you are browsing, stop, just go and buy the first Jack Reacher novel, get into your comfortable reading chair/position, turn to page one and treat yourself to some good,old-fashioned reading fun.

The Crane Wife
The Crane Wife

3.0 out of 5 stars An odd little book, 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Crane Wife (Kindle Edition)
This is Ness's first book for adults and he does have a very good way with words. The story itself is interesting and the characters vivid. And although you think you know what is happening, not everything is as it seems. All in all a good book which I enjoyed but I would guess for most people it will be a case of Marmite - either love it or loathe it. For me, I enjoyed and think he is an interesting writer, I will be reading more
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2014 12:21 PM GMT

The October List
The October List

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous idea, 1 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The October List (Kindle Edition)
brilliantly executed. You will always have a good time with Jeffrey Deaver, guaranteed! The master of the surprise ending here gives us a story told in reverse (just stop a minute to really think about that - this is a thriller novel, not some pretentious 500-page yawn of navel-gazing. This actually has a proper story and to write it in reverse and have everything work this well is a monumental achievement). After thirty-odd thrillers it is hard for a writer to still be able to pull off the kind of surprises that Deaver does here. Having read all of his books I can usually figure out his reveal - something that never, ever spoils the enjoyment of his work. This time I thought I had it all sorted but there are more surprises than you can shake a stick at. If you are a long-time fan like me this has the feel of something like The Coffin Dancer to it. Treat yourself, but it and read it now!

The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller Series Book 5)
The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller Series Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Connelly is the king., 1 Jan. 2014
I've long believed that Harry Bosch is the best recurring character in fiction (by a country mile) but Mickey Haller is right up there as well in this, his fifth outing. A pitch perfect courtroom thriller (and how nice it is to see a great writer of thrillers write legal thrillers that actually have a good amount of the action set in the courtroom and/or the judge's chambers - Messrs Grisham and Turow take note please, you are all masters of it so why shy away from it?). The pages fly by at a rate of knots. Put a little time aside, this is one of those books that, once started has to be read through until you're done, you don't want work or other distractions getting in the way. Superb!

Inside Out (Ben Treven Book 2)
Inside Out (Ben Treven Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and polished as usual, 1 Jan. 2014
Works well as a stand alone story but this is the sequel to Fault Line and a precursor to The Detachment and services both titles very well. Eisler's background is the CIA and his knowledge informs the action and the political shenanigans and pushes the story on. No wasted words with Eisler which is just what a good, entertaining and fast paced thriller requires. Good stuff.

Sycamore Row (Jake Brigance Book 2)
Sycamore Row (Jake Brigance Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Grisham, 1 Jan. 2014
Kind of strange reading a sequel set three years after A Time to Kill but written more than 20 years after. Characterisation as impeccable as ever, a real feeling of the South. The pages fly by. Grisham never lets you down. Even his lesser works are great reads and this is a lot better than one of his lesser works.

The Seven Dials Mystery (Agatha Christie Signature Edition)
The Seven Dials Mystery (Agatha Christie Signature Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly run of the mill, 10 Nov. 2013
I read many of Christie's books many years ago and am periodically working my way through them again. I have to read them in order - that's just my preference. This one is okay without being anything special.

Fault Line (Ben Treven Book 1)
Fault Line (Ben Treven Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and thoroughly enjoyable, 10 Nov. 2013
The first of Eisler's book not to feature his excellent creation John Rain. It is sometimes a wrong move by an author who has established a good series featuring the same character. Personally I prefer authors to write about new characters each time out but there are some exceptions and Barry Eisler's John Rain books are very good and the Japanese settings add a little of the exotic. With Fault Line he has created another character that could have some legs. Check it out

Bear Island
Bear Island

3.0 out of 5 stars A lesser outing from one of the masters of the thriller genre, 10 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Bear Island (Kindle Edition)
Lacks the punch of earlier MacLean stories. Still, much better than Caravan To Vaccares which was pretty interminable. A long way to go to reach the heights of his classic novels like The Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare and The Satan Bug

THE NOWHERE MAN
THE NOWHERE MAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new author, 25 Aug. 2012
This review is from: THE NOWHERE MAN (Kindle Edition)
This book was recommended to me by a friend who knows I like thrillers and I'm always looking for new authors - I read vast amounts so I'm always willing to give someone new a try.
Let me say at the start of this review - I REALLY LIKED THIS BOOK.
The characters seem like real people, not just constructs for a story. These people develop. Our main character is Marty and he's not necessarily a nice guy. But as we come to know him we learn about his motivations and understand him. This is important if you want to like the main character - and who doesn't? - in the book you've just bought. That can be a stretch when your protagonist is set-up as a bit shady (he's more of a bad lad than a villan - a charmer and a conman). And then there's Ingrid, the private investigator on his trail.
This guy knows how to write women as well as men, which is, for me, one of the marks of a good writer. In so many books (good ones)the author can be really strong at one perspective and not so good at the other - not here.
The plot is believable - the central conspiracy is revealed plausibly without being over the top and is enough to make anyone think twice about that next trip to their GP - I'll say no more on that because I don't want to spoil any of the plot.
The book is filled with sharp dialogue that rings true whilst also being entertaining (as an example, I loved the first time we meet Ingrid's father)and the author has a very visual style which comes to the fore in the major set pieces like the train accident, but is throughout the book. You can see these characters and their environs vividly - so cinematic. To sum up then, I found this to be a really entertaining book - a page-turning story with characters I wanted to know more about and that I came to care about - just what I want from a good read.
As I said at the start, I read a lot and some of my favourite authors are people like Harlan Coben, Robert Goddard, Lisa Gardner and Lee Child (and too many more to mention) I'm not saying that Harrison has reached their rarified heights , but for his first book to be as good as this, I'm really looking forward to another one from him and maybe I'll be adding him to my list.