Profile for O. I. Masters > Reviews

Content by O. I. Masters

O. I. Masters "Olivarius" (Behind a grassy knoll)

Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Good....yeah, different but I like it, 28 July 2009
Been a MM fan for a while now (funny how many reviews open with similar) so this was a little different than I expected...there are definitely some more polished moments on this record than on previous...sounds like a positive and in some cases it is (if you've heard other MM records you'll probably have the same dual feelings as me) and the introduction of new sounds and instruments is, I think, a forward step as it provides them a broader range of sounds to take away and do something wierd with.

In a lot of listeners reviews I've read I've seen a lot of negative stuff about direction changes or depth of lyrics (particularly American reviews). I can see what they're talking about but I totally disagree...I think there is enough classic MM on this record to please 90% of fans but there are also lots of new little experiments and surprises that should delight and hopefully engage new fans as Float On has done...my sister who normally listens to pop with deluxe production and a million dollar budget behind it loved The World At Large and The Good Times are Killing Me as well as the obviously catchy Float On.

This is different from The Lonesome Crowded West and This is a Long Drive... and all the other MM classics as everyone has already said but it's definitely not a bad thing...I find if I'm paired down to putting one MM track on a playlist or CD for someone my choice regularly comes down to something from this and one of the classix...I think Dramamine probably wins out more often than not but to even get tracks considered in such a dilemma there has got to be some real quality in the songs here.

Last couple of things...if you've heard Float On and are tempted to buy this record, brilliant...do it...BUT maybe think about checking out a couple more tracks first - if you like them then definitely buy this and then go and buy the whole back catalogue...you won't be disappointed.

Die hard MM fans complaining about this...go away and listen to "Know it All" by Lagwagon...you'll hate it, it's "punk music", but the message is clear and remeber as Cody ChesnuTT said "It ain't rock, it ain't roll if we don't disagree".