Profile for Mr. Robert Collingridge > Reviews

Content by Mr. Robert Col...

Mr. Robert Collingridge "amazon14315" (Ipswich, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Pinlo Slice 3 for iPhone 5 - Worlds thinnest iPhone 5 Case - Black
Pinlo Slice 3 for iPhone 5 - Worlds thinnest iPhone 5 Case - Black
Offered by Macconnect GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally meets expectations, 8 Oct. 2013
This is the thinnest case I could find for the iPhone 5 and it looks excellent. It isn't going to provide the best protection for your phone if you drop it. If you are a regular phone dropper, then buy a rugged case. This one is excellent in protecting your phone from scratches. I have no problems swapping it with another more rugged case for sports use and it has lasted very well.

On the one occasion I dropped my iPhone 5 in this case, it broke but, most importantly my iPhone 5 survived unmarked. There isn't another case on the market that works as well as this one and looks as good on the phone. If you buy it knowing it isn't going to offer the best protection from dropping your phone, then it is excellent. I've just bought another one.

Alpine MusicSafe Pro Filter Ear Plugs for Musicians - White
Alpine MusicSafe Pro Filter Ear Plugs for Musicians - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential bit of race car kit, 7 Aug. 2013
I drive a very loud, road legal race car with no windscreen or doors. I've been using these for many years now and they have saved my hearing from serious damage but, still allow you to hear other cars and things going on around you. After 6 years of driving this car, I recently had a hearing test and was glad to find out I still have perfect hearing for my age :-)

Contour Suction Cup Mount 2810
Contour Suction Cup Mount 2810
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Best suction mount I've seen, 26 Mar. 2013
I bought this specifically to use on a very fast kit car with my Contour+ 1080p video camera. This is the most robust and well made suction mount I've seen. It sticks and holds well to the GRP bodywork (flat areas only) and to glass. It is also very configurable and easy to get a good angle with a Contour camera.

Snow Pusher
Snow Pusher
Offered by Oypla

4.0 out of 5 stars Should do the job, 30 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Snow Pusher (Misc.)
I was impressed by the solidity and size of this snow pusher. I was less impressed by the lack of instructions to help put it together but, it's easy enough to work out. Once constructed it is a sturdy and solid tool. The quality is very good.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 30 Nov. 2012
This cable is a lot cheaper than the Apple official one but, then it doesn't do everything that the Apple one does. It does allow me to charge my iPhone but it is not recognised as a USB device and thus can't be used for file transfers and synchronisation.

The lightning connector plug is much larger than the official one and this could be a problem with some cases. The connector is also not as tidy and well made, with a clear seam down the metal plug part being visible. It is also a tighter fit into the phone socket.

BLACK Skin for Apple iPhone 3G & 3GS
BLACK Skin for Apple iPhone 3G & 3GS

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected!, 1 Oct. 2009
Didn't get the item shown in the image. Got a very cheap and flimsy, wafer thin skin for my iPhone that doesn't even look like the picture.

Hauppauge Media MVP Personal Multimedia Player
Hauppauge Media MVP Personal Multimedia Player
Offered by 64Computers Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars It does exactly what is says on the box, 12 July 2004
Configuration of the box is very easy. Being a bloke I didn't look at the manual and just installed the software on my mini-ITX PC. Zone Alarm made a few requests to allow the server access to the network and then it is simply a matter of telling the software about your music, video and picture directories. This is harder than it should be because the system searches for content for you and builds a list of directories with suitable content. You can't add the root content folder directly and it won't appear in the list if it doesn't have content in at the top level. Easily fixed though by temporarily moving a file or two.
Then you plug in the box and switch it on. It was up and running within 10 seconds. The supplied leads are not particularly useful as the SCART lead has another SCART plug and two phono audio sockets on the end. Fortunately I had a suitable lead that converted the SCART socket to S-video and stereo audio phono plugs, to plug straight into my Home Cinema Amplifier.
The user interface is pretty basic and designed to be simply to operate. It is a bit slow to respond to the IR remote but seems to store key presses so if you know where you want to go, you can press the keys quickly and it will catch up. The configuration menu allows you to change various settings such as composite or S-video output, 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio, etc. You can also change the media directories from the unit should you want to. This strikes me as a bit of a security issue, especially if you network is not firewalled.
One flaw I found was that the 16:9 video output doesn't transmit a 'wide' signal so my auto-switching TV will not switch to 16:9 mode automatically. The unit also has a configurable flicker reduction. Lowering this value from the default setting caused noticable flicker on screen. Not really a problem but the unit doesn't seem to use the whole screen estate. When viewing pictures, there is a noticable black border around the image.
Music sound quality is very good. Navigation is not brillaint and you can't queue things up or generate and edit playlists. These are best done on a PC with WMP or a similar tool. You can play a whole directory though. Once music has started, you can go and view pictures too.
The picture browser is based upon a simple display of folders and thumbnails. You can jump pages or simply scroll down with multiple key presses. The slideshow is the best way to view multiple images in a folder. On entering a folder with lots of images, the unit freezes for about 4-5 seconds.
I've not managed to get any video to work as my camera and other devices don't produce it in MPEG formats.
The box is physically very small. It is a shame that it includes another plug-based PSU, which is always on and drawing power. It comes with a small stand that allows it to sit vertically in you cabinet, which is a good space saving feature.

(Duplicate of B00006JJIP) Driving Force Steering Wheel
(Duplicate of B00006JJIP) Driving Force Steering Wheel

5.0 out of 5 stars The only way to play in-car games!, 19 Jan. 2004
Finally received my steering wheel! (4 weeks to deliver).
The first thing that strikes you is how sturdy and well made this thing is. It is also very heavy! It comes with 3 seperate boxes; the wheel and housing, the pedal box and a seperate power supply.
Getting it working is childs play, especially if you follow the simple manual. The wheel comes with a bolster to hold between you legs or can be fixed to a table top with two screw clamps.
In operation, the wheel works really well. The wheel is very powerful and certain cars can have steering too stiff for young children to drive. Some people claim there is a time lag, between turning the wheel and the car changing direction but this is simply not the case. Change you view so that you can see the front wheels and you can prove it. The wheel does however take a bit of getting used to and the characteristics of the games can initially appear to imply a delay. Stick with it and you soon get used to it!
The wheel has the usual 'shape' buttons so you can drive all of the menus. The pedal box is slightly inclined and of reasonable size for my huge feet (size 11's UK). The most dramatic improvement over a controller is that you now have access to 100% of the braking effect. Finally, you can brake late into the corners like a real car.
To get the full effect, I ended up knocking up a virtual cockpit from from scraps of wood to provide the best mounting position for the wheel and pedal box. An hour later and I'm really driving as intended!
Overall this is excellent value for money and massively improves the driving experience. If you are into driving games then just buy it.

1 Meg Memory Card for PSone - Grey
1 Meg Memory Card for PSone - Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars It's essential!, 14 Jan. 2004
If you've got a PS2 and any PS1 titles, you need this card to save your progress in the games. Not the best value for money, considering the capacity and comparable storage costs today, but you have to have it. Don't delay, order it with your console.

Sony Silver Playstation 2 Console with Extra Controller (PS2)
Sony Silver Playstation 2 Console with Extra Controller (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars PS2 is the family games console, 14 Jan. 2004
I was in to computer games big time during my student days (12 years ago) but I haven't really been interested since then, as I use computers all day at work. I looked around for something that my whole family could use and enjoy, and the PS2 was the only console that fitted the bill. The EyeToy and games are a great way for my 4 and 5 year-old children to get into gaming. There is such a huge catalogue of games and educational titles for the PS1 and PS2, that can be used on this console.
I am really impressed with the quality of the games available too. GT3 for me, Barbie Explorer for the daughter, Finding Nemo for my son. Even the wife enjoys GT3. When there are all asleep I can try out GTA Vice City and try and progress through Half Life into the early hours of the morning.
What you get for your money is astounding and as a born again gamer, I'm well impressed. I've bought the network adaptor and Force steering wheel too, to enhance the whole experience yet further.
The quality of the console is great and it looks good in silver (matches my TV). It's connected up via my home cinema amp to get the full immersive, surround sound experience. Even better with the optional s-video lead to improve the picture quality. It isn't the most powerful console out there but it is easily good enough for us, and then some.
It is a well thought out package. The leads are the right length, the controllers robust and the whole thing just works well. There are also a huge number of owners out there willing to sell and swap games, so titles can be picked up cheaply.
In summary, it's exceeded the expectations of our whole family and continues to impress. The base console represents great value and there are no end of accessories to tailor your system and to extend its appeal for a long time to come.

Page: 1 | 2