Profile for inspector gadget > Reviews

Content by inspector gadget

inspector gadget

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever
by Marie Kondo

5.0 out of 5 stars HAS TOTALLY CHANGED MY LIFE!, 19 Jun. 2016
Well! What can I say?!

I'm a sceptic by nature and someone who was just a heartbeat away from being named and shamed on one of those 'Hoarders' documentaries.
I really wasn't expecting much from this little book.
I read it, thought it was a little pretentious in places and shoved it in a cupboard.
I thought nothing more about it and then one day, completely out of the blue, I found myself inadvertently vertically stacking my clothes!
It's just snowballed from there on!
I actually feel possessed by some kind of spirit of De-Cluttering...if there is such a thing!
Whatever it is...there's definitely some kind of magic afoot!
But I digress.

As a lifetime hoarder with a propensity to be unbelievably untidy and disorganised, this book has literally transformed and changed my life beyond recognition.
My family and friends are still in a state of shock & disbelief!
I am under no illusions as to how long the whole metamorphosis will take but I know I can and will achieve it.
It's also very weird that I have no compulsion or desire, to ever go back to where I've come from.
The charity shops runs are too numerous to mention. I've not even been tempted to go through the bags again, "just in case".
I can't believe how ruthless, decisive and emotionally detached from 'stuff' I've actually become. I also can't believe that I now enjoy and want to be tidy?!
I'm only keeping things that I absolutely love, everything has gone or is going.

I found I didn't even like a lot of my clothes enough to even fold and vertically stack them! If they made it into a drawer, and were next to something I really loved they were immediately taken out and designated for the charity shop.
It was just so easy to let go?!

The effect all this has had on my mental health is also immeasurable.
It's just so lovely knowing exactly where everything is, for the first time ever!
No more stress, no more lost hours/days trying to find things!

I stayed with my nephew last week and woke up literally compelled/possessed to vertically stack all my great niece's clothes...I couldn't stop myself! It was so bizarre!
(She absolutely loves it, her mum says there are no tantrums anymore, when she's trying to decide what to wear).
So I'm spreading the word/gospel!

I've invested in quite a lot of stackable storage boxes and A4 files, plus a Brother labelling machine.
Like is with like...a rule of thumb.
I don't have to go through any of the boxes or files, as they are all labelled with the contents.

Yes, you could say I've possibly gone too far the other way but I don't care. It works for me. Subsequently, I've not lost a single second of my life looking for anything that I've already dealt with!

Needless to say, I can't recommend this book highly enough!

I would like to thank, (in the spirit of Marie Kondo), the following...for enabling me to achieve what I thought was impossible.
(You'll understand if you read the book)!
My Brother labelling machine, which I'm now addicted to!
The Really Useful Box company. Their stackable boxes are amazing and come in every size and shape imaginable.
Sistema Tupperware and Kilner Jars, for organising my pantry space.
My now uniformed/identical coat hangers, which visually, just make my wardrobe look so much more athletically pleasing.
Home Bargains, for all their additional, cheap as chips, organisational paraphernalia.
And last but not least, my friend who posted a photo on Facebook, of her vertically stacked clothes, having read the book.
This is how my whole journey began.

If you're still with me at this point and your house is like mine used to be, then maybe you will understand what a massive deal it is.
I was living in total chaos, which affected not just me but my family as well.

I've read some of the reviews and the book obviously doesn't work for everyone.
Maybe, as with any addiction, you have to subliminally want to change.
As for me, nearly all of my house is completely clutter free, tidy and organised, for the first time ever! This also means that my own personal head space is, as well!
I still have two more rooms to sort out but it takes time, if you want to do it properly.

If you do decide to buy the book, I can only hope that it has the same effect on you as well.

I'm afraid I'm going to bore you with a few of my organisational photos!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sharpie W10 Permanent Marker Chisel Tip - Assorted Colours, Pack of 3
Sharpie W10 Permanent Marker Chisel Tip - Assorted Colours, Pack of 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Great permanent markers!, 13 April 2016
Never used Sharpie products before but I'm impressed up to now.
I went for the chisel points, as I find them much more versatile and easier to write with, than the bullet points.
I wanted 3 different colours and I also liked the price.
I've bought them mainly for my freezer bags but they're great for parcel addresses as well.
I notice they don't smell as strong as some permanent markers, which I also like.

Evostik WOOD ADHESIVE WEATHEROF 1L   717916
Evostik WOOD ADHESIVE WEATHEROF 1L 717916

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the best!, 13 April 2016
I highly recommend this product. I have used for years and it's consistently good.
It's the only wood adhesive I ever buy and I always get the weatherproof one so I can use it on inside & outside jobs. A little goes a long way.
I always get the 1 litre size as it's great value for money.
A fantastic price from Amazon.

ELEGIANT Kitchen Timer Alarm Magnetic Large LCD Digital Count Up Down Egg Clock 24 Hours for Home House Cooking Dinner Lunch Breakfast
Offered by Qroiip

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 13 April 2016
Easy to set up and nice big display.
Perfect for the kitchen as the timer has broken on my oven.
Speedy delivery as well.
Very happy with the purchase and cheap as chips.

Portable Charger RAVPower 16750mAh Power Bank External Battery Pack with Most Powerful 4.5A Output and iSmart Technology - Black
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars HAPPY!, 11 Sept. 2015
Only had it for a couple of weeks but I'm impressed up to now.
It charges very quickly.
It was bigger than I expected and heavier but only because I didn't read the 'specs'.
I plumped for this one because I had to return my Mophie juice pack and one of the Mophie reviewer's had recommended it.
It's much more powerful than the Mophie which is what I need, as I'm totally dependent on being able to get online at all times for my job.
I feel reassured that this charger will step up to the plate when I need it.
I happy to sacrifice a little more space in my bag for the 16000mAh.

mophie powerstation (4,000mAh) - Red
mophie powerstation (4,000mAh) - Red
Offered by Echno

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I was just unlucky with a faulty one., 26 Aug. 2015
Arrived with no charge.
It took 13 hours to fully charge.
When I came to use it 3 days later it was completely flat again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2015 11:20 AM GMT

MBT Kampala Women Schuhe black - 36
MBT Kampala Women Schuhe black - 36
Offered by Zooode

5.0 out of 5 stars MBT's work for me!, 11 Jun. 2015
Great shoes but much too wide a fit for me.
I ended up with an MBT trainer, which were narrower.
Some people don't rate MBT's but for me they make a huge difference on a 14hr day hospital shift!
They definitely help my posture and my feet never ache in them.

Shock Absorber Maximum Support White 40HH
Shock Absorber Maximum Support White 40HH

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 11 Jun. 2015
Brilliant! I love it!
I bought it to wear at work under my white uniform and it's perfect.
Amazing support and very comfortable.
The only downside, is you have to be either a contortionist, double jointed, a yogi...or all three...to be able do up the fasten between the shoulder blades!
My technique is to put it on back to front and fasten that one first, then swing it round to the back, put my arms in and then fasten the main one.
Alternatively if there is an able bodied person to hand...then utilise them!!

Mikki Ear and Face Care Set for All Coats with Ear and Face Scissors for Grooming Dogs and Cats

1.0 out of 5 stars I was thinking I was getting a bargain but I'm ..., 22 April 2015
I was thinking I was getting a bargain but I'm not sure if the scissors are genuine Mikki?
I bought my last two pairs off Amazon without the ear combs at a cost of about £5 each.
Both pairs had 'stainless steel' and 'Mikki' engraved on them, these scissors don't, and they look and feel inferior to my original ones?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2015 11:04 PM BST

Kuhn Rikon Metallic Swiss Peeler
Kuhn Rikon Metallic Swiss Peeler
Offered by KG Homewares

4.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 2 Jun. 2014
This could well be the best peeler in the world...certainly the best I've ever owned!
Seriously sharp, effortless and very quick!
I've deducted a star, as tactile it definitely is not...which I was extremely suprised about.
The underneath is completely hollow and I don't think I'd recommend it for anyone with arthritic hands or a poor grip.
It doesn't actually feel like a quality product...but it certainly performs like one!
Some reviewers suspect they're made in China but mine definitely says made in Switzerland on the box.
Kuhn Rikon seem to have consistantly good reviews for all their products and this is little peeler is no exception.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4