Profile for CollegiateClare > Reviews

Content by CollegiateClare

CollegiateClare "Clare of Nikon" (Sussex, UK)

Social Photography: Make All Your Smartphone Photos One in a Billion
Social Photography: Make All Your Smartphone Photos One in a Billion
by Daniela Bowker

2.0 out of 5 stars Sack the typographer!, 14 Jun. 2014
If I was Daniela Bowker I would be a little angry at the moment. Before you condemn me for putting words in someone else’s mouth let me put this in context. I teach photography at a well know West Country College and for 2014-2015 I have introduced a more substantial component on social and phone photography. I have, therefore been very closely examining whose work to feature as exemplars. Daniela was, and indeed is, one of the front runners.
When I discovered this book was imminent, I pre ordered, with the intention of putting it on the reading list. I waited quite a time – the book was delayed somewhat. But, this week it finally arrived.

And what a disappointment it proved to be. Not in any respect due to the work of Daniela. Its suffered from the curse of over design and absurd over use of typography.

I get the impression that Daniela was asked to write 80 pages of relevant prose and provide some great illustrations. That she did. Then someone came along and said we need to make this book 150 pages. So what do we get? Padding. Whole spreads with just a few words: check the chapter openers: Wild cursive script and a few words – and no images. Infact there’s a dearth of compelling images and little in the way of ‘photos in a billion’ as the title suggests.

Throughout the book photos take second place to absurd typography, with important images showing technique and ‘before and after’ situations reduced to thumbnails.

Then this book falls victim to the same problem that blighted the company’s (Ilex Press) ‘iPhoneography’ in padding further by introducing spreads by other photographers. Whilst you could reasonably argue that these are good for analysing and interpreting the styles of others, here they don’t serve a significant purpose other than making the book longer.
So to use the social media vernacular #Epic Fail @Ilex. Daniela deserves better. I fear this will be on my students’ reading list but not for the reasons that might originally have been thought. And a note to Ilex: You come up with some great books and have some great authors. Let their talent shine through.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2014 3:09 PM BST

ITV News: A Year in the Life of a Duchess: Kate Middleton's First Year as the Duchess of Cambridge
by Ian Lloyd

2.0 out of 5 stars Expertly written, shame about the subject, 16 Nov. 2012
This review is going, to a degree, sound ambivalent. On one hand it is a well produced, well researched and very well written book. The author knows (or has researched) the subject well and reports in a style that is just short of being sycophantic. With so many books appearing to cash in on the Kate phenomenon it would be easy for this particular one to get lost in the mire which would be unfair. It certainly stands head and shoulders amongst many. My criticism is that the objectiveness of the writing, if you read from a dispassionate perspective shows Kate to be a shallow character. I feel that the content of the book concentrates - because there is nothing else - more on what she is and does rather than exploring the personality. I fear that there is little of the latter and this is the necessary result. But, to end on a positive, if you want a book about Kate this is the one to go for. As I said, it does far more than many of the others and we have to face facts that Kate is, to use the vernacular, nothing more than a 'trophy wife'.

Celebrate: A year of British festivities for families and friends
Celebrate: A year of British festivities for families and friends
by Pippa Middleton

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Trash, 13 Nov. 2012
I would not normally be so ungrateful but after receiving this as a gift, I am quite prepared to return it. I may be a bit sad but I like curling up this time of year with a book like this. Last year it was Kirstie Allsop's take on the same subjects. At least her book was readable and assumed some level of intelligence on the part of the reader. Middleton's does neither. The more I read it the more I resented it. Why is it that someone that assumes fame (no matter how tenuous) then assumes they are expert at everything? The classic case of this is Mylene Klass who became an expert paediatrician after having a baby. In this book Middleton states the obivious at every turn.
This book is trivial fluff and undeserving of anyone's time. Even if you see it going cheap in a remainder bin give it a wide berth. If you see it in a charity shop buy it for 20p, compost it and save someone else being exposed to it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2012 7:35 PM GMT