Profile for mollynew442 > Reviews

Simpatico
Simpatico
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars A new direction., 29 April 2008
This review is from: Simpatico (Audio CD)
Nine albums in and The Charlatans are still going strong. They may be past their very best (1995-97) but they can be relied upon to produce solid albums and remain one of the UK's finest live acts. Simpatico has received mixed reviews and this is mainly due to the change in sound apparent on much of the album. The band have once again been experimenting and many of the tracks have a dub/ska feel to them which at first listen seems a little out of place for our beloved Indie boys. A few plays later and all is well once again. Songs such as "Muddy Ground" prove that the Charlatans can pull off this new sound. However it is the opener "Blackened Blue Eyes" which is the stand out tune on the album. It is up there with the best of the band's singles and is vintage Charlies - dub free and with plenty of chiming guitar and keyboard. Other highlights include NYC which has become a live favourite, For Your Entertainment and the sweet Glory Glory. As mentioned below there is unfortunately also "City of the Dead" which has to be the worst Charlies' track ever. It sounds a little UB40 and a lot naff. It took a while to work to work its magic but Simpatico has won me over.

Spiderland
Spiderland
Offered by Musical Notes

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but very Sweet, 7 April 2008
This review is from: Spiderland (Audio CD)
Slint are an alternative rock band from Kentucky, USA. They formed in 1986 and released their first album "Tweez" in 1987. Their second and most acclaimed album "Spiderland" (1991) is a dark and brooding affair. Vocals vary from spoken word to full on shouting and the music is characterised by haphazard time signatures and unusual chord changes. The overall sound is similar to Sonic Youth and Black Flag and is dominated by a pounding bass line underpinning screeching guitars. The lyrics are then often spoken and whispered over the top creating an eerie atmosphere although track 5 "For Dinner.." is an instrumental. The highlight is the final track "Good Morning Captain" and it is alleged that vocalist McMahan made himself throw up during the recording such was the intensity of his screaming in the final chorus. With only 6 tracks "Spiderland" is a real grower. It will appeal to fans of Pavement, Mogwai and even Nirvana. If you want something different and are not afraid to take a chance then give Spiderland a listen.

Black Car
Black Car

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Car, 6 April 2008
This review is from: Black Car (Audio CD)
This is an excellent album. At times it does sound akin to early Radiohead but in my opinion that is no bad thing. I love the sound of the guy's voice and having ignored Headswim in years gone by, will be delving into their back catalogue to see what I've missed. Like other reviewers I cannot understand why this band did not achieve greater things. The opening track "Asleep at the Wheel" gets the album off to a fine start before the sweet chiming guitar of "Come on Home" and the powerful "100%". In fact there are no weak tracks here and Black Car should feature in any rock fan's album collection.

Zodiac [DVD] [2007]
Zodiac [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Jake Gyllenhaal
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Less would be more, 6 April 2008
This review is from: Zodiac [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
If you're expecting an action packed thriller which keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout, then you'll be disappointed. After a disturbing and gory opening the pace of the film settles down and as another reviewer says the film almost becomes a documentary of the infamous Zodiac killer. While I enjoyed the film it is too long. The 2 and a half hour duration of the film is used to convey how long and tedious a process it was trying to track down the killer but for the sake of entertainment a good thirty minuted could be edited out. I fell asleep for twenty minutes in the middle and still knew what was going on. The acting is first rate and the film does provide an informative and authentic account of the Zodiac killer but if you're after an adrenaline rush, look elsewhere.

My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go
My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go

3.0 out of 5 stars My Heart Does Go On, 5 April 2008
Unlike the other reviewers I am not familiar with Aereogramme's earlier releases and I have not seen the band live. It was on the back of these positive reviews that I decided to get hold of "My Heart" and I thought it would be useful to describe the album for others who have yet to dip into Aereogramme. I assumed the band would be a "rock" band with loud guitars and pounding songs but this was not the case. Aereogramme are a quartet from Glasgow who split in 2007. They released only three albums of which "My Heart" is the last. The music on "My Heart" was not what I was expecting. While there are no weak tracks on the album there are for me few that really stand out save for "A Life worth Living". The music is characterised by sweeping strings and a dense atmospheric layering which is at times reminiscent of Radiohead, Sigur Ros and Godspeed but will also appeal to fans of Coldplay and Snow Patrol. While I enjoy the music of these bands I found Aereogramme's sound (on this album at least) a little monotonous and was longing for the band to change gear. It's nice enough as background music and I could imagine many of the tracks being used as a film soundtrack. Aereogramme have made a decent album here but it will not appeal to everyone.

Love Is Hell
Love Is Hell
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful album, 4 April 2008
This review is from: Love Is Hell (Audio CD)
My first taste of Ryan Adams' music was through the Cold Roses double album and while I could appreciate many of the tracks there was nothing that made me want to explore further. I stumbled across Love is Hell in a charity shop and intrigued by the cover version of Wonderwall decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did. There isn't a weak track here and the music and lyrics are extremely powerful creating one of the most moving albums I have heard. It is a very dark album though certainly not depressing. Thanks to Love is Hell I have now acquired much of Adams' back catalogue. This album is for me the greatest piece of work which Adams' has so far achieved. Heartbreaker is also highly recommended.

BT 150 Digital Baby Monitor
BT 150 Digital Baby Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality purchase, 27 Mar. 2008
With our baby due next month I have spent the past 6 weeks preparing the nursery and buying all of the essentials. Having read excellent reviews on Amazon I opted to purchase the BT Monitor and am very impressed. Though I am still currently enjoying my last few weeks of freedom and have no baby I have been experimenting with the monitor. The sound is crystal clear even with our WiFi and mobile phones in nearby rooms. The lullaby and nightlight are excellent as they mean two less things to buy and it's very reassuring to have the room temperature alarm. I like being able to communicate 2 ways via the monitor and as someone who is forever losing everything, I will greatly benefit from the built in pager to locate a misplaced hand set. Should the baby monitor become unplugged the adult handset will alert you. It seems everything has been though of and I would completely recommend this monitor.

Core
Core

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another grunge band, 6 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Core (Audio CD)
Stone Temple Pilots were heavily criticised following the release of this album for imitating bands such as Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. While there is no doubt that the overall sound of "Core" is akin to the Seattle sound it would be wrong to say that the band were merely copying their peers. "Core" contains some of the finest songs to have been written in the 1990's such as the Grammy winning "Plush" and the fantastic "Dead and Bloated". The album has a great depth to it with "Sex Type Thing" and the acoustic "Creep" illustrating the range in sound and mood. Having explored the band's entire back catalogue I would strongly recommend purchasing this album over any of the others. It's not the most original rock album you'll ever hear but it's certainly among the best.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2012 9:10 PM BST

Hotel Rwanda [DVD]
Hotel Rwanda [DVD]
Dvd ~ Xolani Mali
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but true., 8 July 2006
This review is from: Hotel Rwanda [DVD] (DVD)
With sadly so many conflicts going on around the world the plight of Rwanda was not given the media exposure that it needed. The western world was fully aware of the issues in Iraq, Bosnia and Afghanistan yet when mass genocide swept across an African country in 1994 many people (myself included) were ill informed. Hotel Rwanda documents the Hutu uprising and the sickening massacre of the Tutsi people. It shows the scale of this terrible event. This was not a minor battle but a lengthy bloody murder of almost an entire tribe - over a million people. While the film is obviously of a sad nature it focuses on one individual, Paul Rusesabagina, who assumes the post of manager of a luxury hotel in the capital. This hotel becomes a refuge for over 1200 Tutsi people who would otherwise be murdered. Rusesabagina's story is not dissimilar to Schindler's List in that he does his all to protect these people; from bribing soldiers to telephoning Belgium and risking his own life. If it were not for his courage these people would not have survived. The film succeeds in its aims. The viewer is left better informed of this essential piece of history and has felt all manner of emotions. Anger at the western world for refusing to help, frustration at the UN troops' inability to keep peace, admiration for Rusesabagina and relief that he and his family survive. It's just a shame we have to convert reality into a film to make reality real.

Athens 2004 (PS2)
Athens 2004 (PS2)
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have !, 25 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Athens 2004 (PS2) (Video Game)
Athens offers an array of sports to try - athletics, swimming, equine sports, weight lifting, shooting and archery. As one reviewer writes, the downside of the game is that so many of the events require hard core button tapping and for me the swimming is a no go as I feel like my hand will fall off after a single lap. It's the only game I've played on the PS2 where you can pick up an injury in reality. Thankfully the game offers so much more and the decathlon soon becomes addictive. By the second week I had world records in the high jump, pole vault and long jump ! Two player mode is great fun and I can recommend the archery after a night at the pub as co-ordination is vital if you are to succeed. The graphics are great and it's one of the non football games I don't regret buying.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6