Profile for mollynew442 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo
Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic !, 12 Dec. 2008
With my non existent DIY skills and an enthusiastic labrador with free roam of the house, a bouncer in the door frame was a real no go. We have been really pleased with the Jumperoo. Our little boy has been using it from 4 months (with help) and now at 6 and a half months he is really enjoying it. It has 3 height settings which are dead easy to adjust and there are so many bits and pieces to amuse baby. Lights, sounds, spinning balls and even cleverly designed leaves which dangle above baby encouraging him/her to get bouncing. Our boy goes in it half an hour a day and loves it. As well as amusing them it is a great way of srengthening their legs and of giving them the confidence to get moving independently. An excellent product well worth the £80.

Tomy First Years Starlight Dreamshow - Yellow
Tomy First Years Starlight Dreamshow - Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 12 Dec. 2008
Ever since he was a few weeks old our little boy has been lulled off to sleep by the Starlight Dreamer. He's now 6 months old and it is a god send for getting him off to sleep even now that he is teething. It is a nightlight as well as a lullaby and displays circling moons and teddy bears either on the ceiling or wall. The shape of the product enables the display to be focused anywhere. For less than a tenner I think it is a wonderful purchase and another great fetaure is that despite being played every night for 6 months I have only had to change the batteries once ! I cannot speak highly enough about this product.

I Want You To Know That There Is Always Hope
I Want You To Know That There Is Always Hope

3.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the Singles, 9 Aug. 2008
This album sadly marks the end of IWACS as the band split at the end of their July 2008 tour. IWACS are an indie duo - Will the drummer and Todd the guitarist and vocalist. The sound is a mix of pop and indie with a dance edge thanks to synthesisers and fast drumming. I bought the album after seeing the band live in Wolverhampton. I was blown away and had high expectations of the album. I was immediately disappointed to find that my favourite single "I hate nightclubs" has been left off the album although the other releases "We were made to love", "Pink Squares", "Our smallest Adventures" are here. My greatest fear before listening to the album was that the new material on the album would pale alongside the singles and this unfortunately is the case. Aside from the aformentioned singles there are for me few stand out tracks. "Lucean" and "Recommendations" are weak and the IWACS sound does become monotonous as the eleven tracks seem to merge into each other. They were a great live act but the album has unfortunately failed to capture everything that made the band so exciting. All in all if you haven't got the singles it's worth buying otherwise download Nightclub and Adventures.

I Want To Live: The Diary Of A Young Girl In Stalin's Russia
I Want To Live: The Diary Of A Young Girl In Stalin's Russia
by Nina Lugovskai͡a

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent insight into Stalin's Russia, 24 May 2008
The strange thing for me was that although it is a diary, by the time I had completed the book I felt as though I had read a story. Young Nina was a talented writer and her descriptions of characters and her feelings towards them are extremely vivid. I gained much from reading this. Firstly on a historical level but also and perhaps more importantly on an emotional level. It is very interesting to see how the NKVD underlined so much of the diary on account of it being anti-Stalin and it is disturbing to think that an innocent girl can be sent to a Siberian camp just for putting her thoughts on a page. Throughout the diary there are useful notes which explain why the NKVD had underlined each part. Aside from the history I found myself able to identify with Nina which surprised me given that she was writing in 1930's Russia. Her thoughts on teaching and learning are still applicable today. Her ideas on shyness really made me think as to why I too am a shy individual and I both understand and agree with her reasoning. Nina was an angry teenager and she does use the diary to vent pueril frustration, the confusion of her emotions towards boys but there is so much more to be discovered. I appreciate that I am reading from a translation and that it is not an exact replica of Nina's thoughts but I find it so exciting to read the personal thoughts of another human being from such an important time. There's nothing made up just honest and frank opinions from a person who witnessed a cruel and unjust regime. It is a shame that Nina did not feel she could devote the rest of her life to writing.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Try before you buy !!, 12 May 2008
As a first time parent I was totally lost when it came to buying a pram/push chair/car seat. Having found a good deal on the Internet I decided to purchase the Silver Cross 3D pram system as it had all the components I was after. The push chair/pram is solid and you can tell that it will last. The car seat was also recommended to me. If you have a large vehicle and you are in tip-top health then I would fully recommend this system. It's relatively easy to assemble and is safe and reliable. However you must try before you buy or you will make the same mistake as we did. The car seat claims to be universal and yet the seat belt in our Ford Focus was not long enough to go around it. We telephoned the supplier and were told that not only is it unsuitable for a Focus but that they had received the same complaints from owners of a whole range of cars. Do not assume it really is Universal ! I found the pram hard work to assemble as I have a lower back problem and the Silvercross requires you to bend right over to release catches to convert push chair to pram. Again try before you buy. The next problem we encountered was the size of the folded up travel system. It is not as compact as we had assumed and filled our boot. With the travel system in the boot we really couldn't fit anything else in. Thankfully we managed to return the Silvercross and have purchased a sadly more expensive but happily more suitable Mamas and Papas travel system. I do not wish to speak badly of Silvercross when I know so many people have really enjoyed their push chairs but if you don't drive a 4 by 4 then please try before you buy. Happy parenting !

Love It When I Feel Like This
Love It When I Feel Like This
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars It should have been so much better., 6 May 2008
I saw the band live on several occasions prior to the release of the album and was blown away at each performance. The band were brash and full of attitude. They worked the (small) crowd well and with their baggy meets indie guitar sound they had the potential to be huge. I had huge hopes that the album would be brilliant and having heard their My Space material expected a fantastic record. Unfortunately the recorded songs have lost so much of what made them so good live. Compared to the original My Space version even Wide Awake sounds too polished. The CD for me has destroyed the very sound which made The Twang so appealing. Even the Midlands accent, so thick on stage, seems to have been lessened. Why Cloudy Room ends with a lullaby I do not know. There are some great tunes here such as "Wide Awake", "The Neighbour", "Either Way" and "Cloudy Room". However there is also a lot of filler. This album really was a missed opportunity. Had it recreated the excitement and raw edge of the band I saw then they would be massive. Sadly it doesn't and one suspects that few will remember The Twang in 12 months.

Pleased To Meet You
Pleased To Meet You
Offered by Todays Great Deal

3.0 out of 5 stars She Was A Very Good Girl, 5 May 2008
This review is from: Pleased To Meet You (Audio CD)
I was a huge Sleeper fan and a Louise Wener fanatic ! However after the fantastic Smart and the reasonable follow up The It Girl, album number three sadly failed to deliver. It lacks the sparkly indie pop tunes of the debut and the lyrics are not a patch on the previous two albums. "Please Please Please" is a drab tune which drones on without ever getting going. Thankfully "She's a good girl" comes to the rescue and we are back to classic Sleeper and a sing along chorus. It is a real shame that the other tracks fail to match the strength of this tune. "Rollercoaster" and "Miss You" have nothing to grab the listener's attention and it is only a much needed change of tempo that makes "Romeo Me" seem half decent. The Beatle-esque "Breathe" has a slight touch of Beetlebum and is one of the most interesting pieces of music on the album. For me it is the best track here. "You got Me" and "Superclean" are solid tunes while "Firecracker" demands to be skipped. "Because of You" is a great tune which highlights the beauty of Louise's voice. Then comes "Nothing is Changing" which is a real shock sounding so unlike any other Sleeper track. Compare this to anything on the debut and you realise how far the band have come. It's a dark acoustic number backed up with strings and is another of the album's few highlights. Finally there is the insipid "Motorway Man" and the album closer "Traffic Accident" which is another Sleeper by numbers track. All in all PTMY isn't a terrible album but it has little of real merit and does not demonstrate the qualities for which Sleeper should be remembered. If you're new to the band purchase the albums in chronological order and to be honest the greatest hits compilation hasn't missed much. Sleeper were a great band but maybe it's a good job they called it a day when they did.

Into the Wild [DVD] [2007]
Into the Wild [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Emile Hirsch

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful film, 5 May 2008
This review is from: Into the Wild [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Into the Wild is the tale of a young American, Christopher McCandless, who turns his back on society and family and sets off for Alaska in search of a purer life. Disenchanted with western lifestyle (study to get a job, work to pay the rent, buy then die) McCandless hikes into the wild hoping to discover a more productive and wholesome way of living. He donates all his money to charity and leaves without saying a word to his parents. At home he experienced violence and witnessed his mother being beaten and verbally abused by his father. It is this volatile and horrible situation coupled with his disdain of materialism which fuel his desire to flee. I suppose you could argue that in the film nothing really happens. McCandless (who changes his name to Supertramp) succeeds in getting from Virginia to Alaska, meets a few people and enjoys/endures 5 months in the wild. He has to fend for himself and it is his lack of expertise which is his ultimate downfall. Yet the film did not seem to drag at any point and by the end I had experienced a gamut of emotions. The film is thought provoking and moving. The acting is first class and at the end of the film I admit to feeling a little upset, so attached had I become to the main character. Eddie Vedder's astounding soundtrack combined with stunning shots of the Alaskan landscape help to create one of the simplest yet most memorable films in recent years.

Ljubljana (CitySpots)
Ljubljana (CitySpots)
by Thomas Cook

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but not that useful...., 4 May 2008
This review is from: Ljubljana (CitySpots) (Paperback)
This guide is fine if you are in the city for a weekend and just want some basic information. It provides key details on the main sights and we found the list of recommended restaurants very useful. The maps however were poor and had we not obtained a street map from the tourist info we would have found it difficult to find our way around the city. Ljubljana is best explored on foot and there is no need to use buses within the centre. Do however devote a day to a trip to Lake Bled which is beautiful. For the price it's fine but the guide will not suffice if you want to know a lot about the history of Ljubljana or if you are staying for longer than a couple of days. Also do not be fooled (as we were) to try and find the marina which is photographed midway through the guide. It is actually in another town some 40km away !

The People's Act Of Love
The People's Act Of Love
by James Meek

2.0 out of 5 stars A difficult read., 4 May 2008
I read a lot of books of varying genres and in different languages. I was given this novel as a Christmas gift and the fact that I have only just finished it at the start of May should give some indication of how gripping it isn't. I have been left less than impressed with Meek's attempt at a Russian novel and am now left wondering why I bothered to pursue it to the end. Encouraged by reviewers urging readers to stick with it I succeeded in ploughing through all 400 pages only to be left with a disappointing and unremarkable ending. I was unable to sympathise with any of the characters and because I was unable to endure more than 20 pages at a time found myself continually having to go back to see to whom each name referred. There are simply too many characters and too many diversions throughout the novel that it becomes overly complicated and quite tedious. Too often I found myself looking to see how many pages there were to go which is not the sign of a successful novel. It does take until page 100 before anything really happens and as such I like other reviewers feel that the novel could be salvaged with some much needed editing. Some of the ideas are interesting and the plot has potential if only it had not been so watered down and made so terribly confusing. I got little out of this read and was left feeling I deserved a medal for endurance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6