Profile for SB > Reviews

The Upside Down Mountain
The Upside Down Mountain
by Mags MacKean

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and thought-provoking, 10 Feb. 2016
Mags MacKean has written a powerful account of her inspiring life, and has done it beautifully. I particularly love the writing about Tibet, and about her engagement with Mount Bugarach, the Upside Down Mountain of the title. Reading the book made me ask myself some important questions about my own life.

The Encyclopedia of Early Earth
The Encyclopedia of Early Earth
by Isabel Greenberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Earth is Enchanting, 17 Oct. 2013
I loved this book. I'm very new to graphic novels and I saw this book at a comic fair and I just had to buy it. It was a good decision. The central characters (insofar as there are central characters in this gorgeous smorgasbord of stories) really felt alive to me, and held the book together. I've now lent the book out (twice!) so I haven't got it to hand, but Isabel Greenberg's pictures of the pair and their story have stayed in my head and heart. Early Earth, with all of its stories, seems like a very rich place to live. Greenberg shows remarkable skill in bringing it to life, and above all, imagination. Buy it now! You won't regret it.

Lighter Than My Shadow
Lighter Than My Shadow
by Katie Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Unflinching and heart-warming, 14 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Lighter Than My Shadow (Paperback)
I have never suffered from an eating disorder, yet this book touched me very deeply. I think it is because Katie Green has the courage not only to (repeatedly!) face up to her demons, but also a remarkable level of skill and sensitivity to find powerful and elegant words and pictures for the process. The book's 514 pages help me profoundly with my own struggles.

It is also an engrossing read - I set the alarm early and read it in one sitting (with a very brief break for a bit of morning toast!)

Thank you for writing this book.