Profile for Paul J > Reviews

Paul J (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Climb
The Climb

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe someone would pay for this trash, 15 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Climb (MP3 Download)
This song is utter rubbish and not worth a penny even though Joe's effort sounded better than Olly. Joe can sing but he is young and immature, most of his 6.13 milion votes have got to be under 18's on mobiles voting for someone they can relate to. Olly was the better entertainer all round. If it were an adult only vote Olly would have won easily, just as Susan Boyle would have won and Rhiddion would have won on X factor 2 years ago all for the same reason. It's the same reason why Lloyd was there for so long and those two boys... they got kids votes. Anyway it's a great shame the last song was this dull and dreadful waste of space.

Zoostorm Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.5Ghz PC, 320GB HDD, 2GB RAM, DVDRW (Windows 7 Premium)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanatastic value and superb quality, best PC I have purchased., 4 Dec. 2009
I purchased this from Amazon a few months ago and a key factor was the price which after much research was unbeatable. Paying less I was a little concerned about the quality of the product I would get. This was unfounded as when the PC arrived it was superbly packaged and looks of very good quality. Since my purchase this PC has been totally reliable and trouble free. On top of this my addition of a Geforce 8800 GT video card and increasing the memory to 4 Gb went smoothly and was instantly accepted by the system with no difficulties. There are plently of spare power cables from the power unit inside but they are neatly tied together with plastic tags and do require care to cut and release. The bottom line here is only upgrade yourself if you know what your doing and if you do you will find this PC ideal for this purpose. Simply adding these two items has resulted in a top quality, reliable, gaming machine for an incredible price. I can't praise the value and quality of this PC enough. Remembering at the time the price PC World and others were offering for equivilant products makes it even more outstanding. What is more previous computers from these other retailers have resulted in long waits at the customer service desk due to missing parts, faults and other issues. This is the first trouble free PC I have purchased and by far the best quality.

Dragon Age: Origins (PC)
Dragon Age: Origins (PC)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best game released this year, 13 Nov. 2009
This game quite rightly deserves all the praise lavished on it by the reviewers here and in the magazines etc. There is little more I can add other than to stand up and be counted out of respect for this stirling effort. What I will say is in my opinion this is one of the best games released this year. I say this because aside from all the praise it has recieved, it is one of the few games, possibly the only game, I have purchased this year that has been released in full working order. Sure there are a few minor issues like the camera zoom being fiddly but trust me you will forget it was even an issue once you get absorbed in this brilliant game. I highly recommend this game to anyone.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (PC DVD)
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (PC DVD)
Offered by Excess Gaming

4.0 out of 5 stars Flashpoint evolved. Great in single player, let down in multi. Intense battles., 10 Oct. 2009
I have just completed 3 missions in the game as single player and can say that this is a highly entertaining battle sim with some intense action. This is not like the original Flashpoint and has evolved mostly for the better. I recommend new players try out the single mission before embarking on the campaign to get used to the new commnad radial as it is tricky at first. On the downside gone is the ability to loot bodies for ammo etc, bodies disappear in seconds. Also gone is a decent multi player campaign and my few attempts online were a failure with servers crashing and other problems. (But its early days !). On the plus side once you get used to the radial it is far better than all the commands in flashpoint, and for that matter ArmA but selection of which unit to command is fiddly and needs fixing. The AI seems better and will launch rapid flanking attacks and actually, yes actually use hand grenades. The graphics are perfect for the game which runs nice and smoothly. In my opinion this is superior to ArmA 2 which is stil bug ridden even with the latest patch. The first 3 missions in Dragon Rising were face paced, full of action, smooth and bug free, and you don't lose immediately for taking losses, meaning you can risk trying out different approaches. ArmA 2 on the other hand is full of bugs, the mission gets corrupted if you do the wrong thing at the wrong time, and more stupidly most missions end in failure if one of your squad dies so you feel restricted in action. Dragon Rising does need polishing up with a patch and I am sure that will come. If you live for multi-player you might want to avoid this for now but otherwise I can highly recommend this game as a commendable effort in simulating modern warfare.

Empire: Total War (PC DVD)
Empire: Total War (PC DVD)
Offered by Digitalville UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Forget about steam, the AI is utterly hopeless..., 28 Mar. 2009
Luckily I had no problems with Steam or crashes as others have, so I was able to experience playing this game, please read on.

At first all was going well but, playing as Britain, I soon became aware that I was facing no real challenge and after 140 turns had already won. I started again with everything set to hardest and it soon became apparrant that the AI was getting more funds and building bigger armies. Then it hit me, the rapidly growing mass of AI armies in some countries were just sitting there doing nothing. Huge armies sat in Spain year after year while Florida falls to a few Cherokees, pathetic. I soon realised, with disbelief, that the AI will not transport units by sea at all. The in game advisor talks about getting to India before the French. Don't worry , it isn't going to happen. You are alone facing a moronic AI and your free to take India or America without any interference from other major powers. The only challenge you get is fighting American Indians and the powers in India.

This game is an utter disaster, a waste of money, and a huge disappointment after misleading reviews and general hype. I am cancelling my subscription to PC Zone which rated this game highly. Gaming magazines have shown utter incompetence in their ability to review this and protect gamers from this total failure.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2009 12:00 AM BST

War Leaders: Clash of Nations (PC DVD)
War Leaders: Clash of Nations (PC DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars My email to the developer says it all, please read below., 28 Feb. 2009
I have just purchased War Leaders - Clash of Nations. I write this because you have no forum for this game yet.

Prior to buying the game I was surprised at the lack of any review, but the overall idea of the game had a strong appeal. I was able to get a demo in French that covered a single RTS battle. It appeared good and the soldiers voices were in French. Now I mention this for a big reason.

Having purchased the game and installed it I set off to try my first battle as Japan. I selected a few units and was totally knocked back by my Japanese troops shouting and yelling in the most loud, pathetic and juvenile American voice imaginable. I tried a few more times as I could not believe my ears. I then tried a battle as Great Britain and the same again. I have nothing against American accents but this sounds appalling and I would suggest even for the US troops an insult. This is a real show stopper. I tried searching the internet for any forums on the game. All I could find was some posts on game spot and no surprise, everyone is saying the same thing, claiming to have uninstalled the game even.

All I can say is after such effort and super graphics, what in gods name were you thinking of doing this ?. It is almost an insult to the combatants of all the nations involved and I would say will put an otherwise reasonably good game at a rating of around 6/10 instead of 8/10.

Please can you advise when the forum will be up and running.

Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 (PC CD)
Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Authentic and enjoyable, best tank sim for years !, 12 Dec. 2008
Coming to the end of the first of the three campaigns I have found myself captivated by the authenticity and action in Steel Fury that gets more enjoyable as time goes on. I had been disappointed by some recent tank sim's so was wary about buying this. Also Tiger v T34 by the same company has had only average ratings. This game hits the spot. My score reflects a very good game spoiled by a few minor issues. Fun factor loses out by the lack of role play for your crew, there is none as each mission starts a new, the only penalty for failure being you can't move on to later missions. Also the lack of an in game status screen to check on tank and crew status, but a minor annoyance all the same. As for my overall rating again loses slightly because of a few bugs in the tutorials. Also if you take over as driver a bug makes it difficult to get the AI to drive again. It should be noted this is single player only. An unofficial patch on the games forum solves a few other minor issues and is highly recommended. These issues aside the game is a very impressive and enjoyable combat sim. The missions get more intense and sound and look great using my Creative Fatality Headset and Geforce 8800 GT card. There is a moderate learning curve but the controls are sensible and well laid out. The 38 page manual is reasonable and enjoyment will benefit from reading some parts, mainly controls and a knowledge of the different shells the tanks used, fully simulated in this fine game. This is the best tank sim for many years and will not disappoint.

Sword of the Stars: Collectors Edition (PC DVD/CD?)
Sword of the Stars: Collectors Edition (PC DVD/CD?)
Offered by RAREWAVES

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense, addictive, a real masterpiece., 7 Sept. 2008
Until two weeks ago I had never heard of Sword of the Stars. With this lack of knowledge I purchased it with a degree of uncertainty but was turned on by the idea of being able to design the ships in your space fleet.

So two week on I can say without doubt this is the most engrossing game I have purchased. Be warned, this game is a real time thief. I have been so glued to it, my legs have ached from lack of movement.

I have not tried multi player as single player has been so entertaining. There are a few scenarios but the main game is via the custom set-up where you choose the number of players, planets, galaxy shape and so on. Once ready press launch and a new game unfolds before you. What is great is that each game is so different, with random occurrences, AI players starting in different places, a randomised tech tree and so on.

Every game you play becomes a real drama; things can go horribly wrong at any time and in so many different ways. The AI is unforgiving and you can lose fast, but when you succeed it is very rewarding. Either way the game is intense and enjoyable. When you lose the game draws you in to try again a different way. The randomisation of the game and events is what make this so re playable and challenging.

The graphics and sound are reasonably good. The only negative aspect is the camera controls that can be a bit awkward on both the strategic and tactical map. On the strategic screen, especially if you have many planets, it can be awkward to see your planets properly and fleets do not stand out very well either. You soon get used to it but it is the only negative side to an otherwise gem of a game. This is why I have rated the fun part as 4 out of 5.

Overall this game is a highly addictive masterpiece and a credit to the designers.

World in Conflict (PC DVD)
World in Conflict (PC DVD)
Offered by trguk

1.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced mouse clicking exercise with juvenile story line..., 28 Aug. 2008
War gamers should beware. This is not a realistic game on modern warfare. It is a fast paced mouse clicking exercise both in single and multi player. There is the usual scissor, stone, and paper RTS type interaction of different units but the pace is so fast even this is often irrelevant.

The graphics and sound effects are without doubt very good but in my opinion hard to enjoy when your rushing all over the screen with your mouse pointer.

The campaign game is probably the biggest disappointment. I had hoped they would have a strategic element to the game with battles fought at locations where forces meet, a bit like Total War. But no, the campaign follows a scripted story line that has your forces flip from one part of the globe to another with no regard for realism. Worse still is the story line that is so juvenile a child could have written it.

If you're not concerned with realism and your used to fast pace action games then you will probably enjoy this game. If in doubt buy it used on Amazon to try it out.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC DVD)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars The most addictive FPS yet - SUPERB !., 11 Nov. 2007
A refreshing change to all those WW2 FPS out there, this game is superb. The locations look stunning and the gameplay is exciting and fast. This delivers where other modern day FPS fail i.e. none of the frustration of the impossible ArmA, a decent single player game unlike BF2 and far more fun than Ghost Recon 3. I can't praise this game enough and the only downside is that it's so good and addictive, it won't last the weekend.

Page: 1 | 2