Profile for A. MAIR > Reviews

Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook
Low-GI Vegetarian Cookbook
by Rose Elliot

2.0 out of 5 stars some nice recipes, but a bit misleading, 7 April 2013
I've given this two stars because some of the recipes look nice (although I haven't actually tried any yet). The main issue I have with the book is that i just don't agree with some of the principles. I read a review before buying the book, which said that the recipes were different from the kind of samey stuff you usually find in vegetarian recipe books, but I can't really agree with that having looked through it myself. There is still a pasta section detailing how to mix tomatoes into fusilli....

To begin with, there seems to be bit of confusion regarding the GI information. Skimmed milk, for example, is listed as low GI, while whole milk is listed as high GI - firstly this is the wrong way round: whole milk is lower GI than skimmed milk (skimmed milk has more lactose, which is a sugar). The GI tables in the peer-reviewed papers I've read put the index for both in the 40s, anyway, so there's not that much difference between them - whole milk is not high GI.

Another thing that is confusing is why there are recipes using millet, when she has put millet in the high GI column (it's even listed twice in there). I have no idea what the GI of millet is but it seems a little contradictory. The same can be said for her advice on avocados- 'eat a quarter, occasionally', then she includes a recipe that serves two people and contains a whole avocado. I don't know what her reasoning is for limiting avocado intake, but everything else I've read about avocados is very positive so I'm ignoring her advice.

Rose Elliot also seems to be afraid of fat, which I think is a bit weird for a low GI book. She writes that eating fat with your food means it is digested more slowly and therefore has a lower GI, but there are still traces of low-fat diet advice lurking in the book... the advice hovers between low GI and low fat, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The idea that eating a low fat diet is the best way to lose weight is a hypothesis that has been believed for a long time and she doesn't seem able to fully let that go, which is slightly irritating.

I wasn't expecting recipes involving pasta and I thought there would be more of a focus on protein, but some of the recipes are just pasta and veg with a bit of cheese. There are also recipes for cakes using white flour and sugar. If you're not going to do it properly, what's the point?

Complaints aside, there are some recipes that look nice and I will be keeping the book - I just had higher hopes for it and was a bit disappointed.