Profile for G. R. Fullam > Reviews

Content by G. R. Fullam

G. R. Fullam "free-loader" (england)

The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance
The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance
by Edmund de Waal

2.0 out of 5 stars The Good the Bad and the just plain Dull, 23 July 2011
The professional reviews and awards this book received makes it appear to be a must read.

It does have its moments however you have to plough through the first 150 pages before any of them become apparent.

I contemplated giving up on this book many times as it lacks any real sense of emotional connection and felt like a very dry history book on a not particularly interesting subject.

Once one has completed the first third of the book and go to Vienna it does come to life and is at times a facinating view of life for this family during extraordinary time.

In summary I don't think the good compensates for the bad, there are far better books to read.

The Good Life
The Good Life
by Jay McInerney

1.0 out of 5 stars It is just dreadfull, 9 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Good Life (Hardcover)
This book kept springing up in my recommend list so in the end I bought it.

I can honestly say it is one of the worst books I have ever read.

The basic story is this :- tragically egocentric rich New York's bear witness to and in part are involved in the terrible events of 9.11 Two of the more sympathetic characters (disillusioned with their wealth blah blah) meet at a soup kitchen where they volunteer to provide for the rescue workers and have an affair. Mills and Boon set to the back drop of the burning twin towers !

It is a pitiful waste of paper - please don't buy it life is too short and the Good Life is most certainly to be found else where.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2016 4:30 PM GMT

Philips 23PF4321 - 23" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV
Philips 23PF4321 - 23" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV

1.0 out of 5 stars Questionable Build Quality, 29 Aug. 2007
I am now on my third one of these. The first ones screen deteriorated after fifteen months. I thought this was a fluke so did not have a problem with buying a second. Four months later the second ones bass speakers started to rattle. My experience since with Philip's after sales service is woeful and as such I can only wonder if my experience as to their questionable build quality is common place. Buy another brand.

Marabou Stork Nightmares
Marabou Stork Nightmares
by Irvine Welsh

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not a Pretty Read, 10 Mar. 2006
This is a book which hypnotises you but yet leaves you feeling a little sick.
I think it is Welsh's best work making books such as Glue look petty and insignificant but I have friends who found it quite simply disturbing.
I dont care what my girlfriend and her appreciation of post moderist literature says - this book highlights what a lame waste of paper American Psycho is.

Owls Do Cry (Bloomsbury Classic Series)
Owls Do Cry (Bloomsbury Classic Series)
by Janet Frame

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhhh Janet, 10 Mar. 2006
It is a frightening thought that a woman who grew up so smart and so imaginative would wind up labelled insane but this is what happened to Janet Frame.
I'm a bloke likes and yet I go weak at her prose, for that is what her books are, beautifully written and painfully read.

Fruit of the Lemon
Fruit of the Lemon
by Andrea Levy

5.0 out of 5 stars A Family Tale, 10 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Fruit of the Lemon (Paperback)
I think the strength of Andrea Levy is her ability to bring generations and thier interdependance (whether concious or otherwise) to life.
Her ability to show the weaknesses and strengths of our multicultural society with its moments of ugliness juxtaposed with its moments of colour blindness highlights both where our country has come from and where it is headed without rancour or bitterness.
This book is not just a great entertaining novel it is a book that brings to the fore the feelings and thoughts of anyone who is the child of immigrant parents.
Important social comment entertainingly told

Cyrano De Bergerac [DVD]
Cyrano De Bergerac [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gérard Depardieu
Offered by Helen's Goodies

5.0 out of 5 stars All I have left is my panache, 10 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Cyrano De Bergerac [DVD] (DVD)
Any film with the line "all I have left is my panache" has to be worth a viewing or two.
It is a film which will touch the heart of any man who's mind is beautiful than their face and any wowan who has known a man like this and wondered why he found it so important when she didn't.
Hollywood remade this film under the title of Roxanne with Steve Martin and a fine demonstartion in dumbing down it was to.
A great film and beautiful and witty one too.

Slaughter House Five
Slaughter House Five
by Kurt Vonnegut
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Slaughter House Five, 10 Mar. 2006
One of Kurt Vonnegut's best and almost certainly the most personnal to him.
I confess I have read every page this man has written but if I was to hone it down to which of them are most worthy of public attention Slaughter House Five is probably the one I would vote for.
If you are a fan of Douglas Coupland, this is his grandad and interesting and lovable on he is too

Was (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)
Was (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)
by Geoff Ryman

5.0 out of 5 stars Was, 10 Mar. 2006
As someone who aspires to write, this book is something I could readily die with as my greatest work.
This is a must read for anyone who loves Kurt Vonnegut or Douglas Coupland.
Geoff Ryman is best know for science fiction and steps out of this genre for Was which utilises his imaginative skills in a way that will leave you wondering why he is not a household name - how I wish he would give up science fiction.
I have recommended this book to half a dozen of my friends and all of them have said how much they loved it.
Please buy it - it warrants iconic status